Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 07:37 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,813,287 times

Advertisements

Why do black people back in the 70s give their kids names that sound like British aristocracy? Then the black is beautiful era arrived and they started to use African names? Then hip hop arrives and I know a guy called 2RUDE....What's next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 07:46 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Why do black people back in the 70s give their kids names that sound like British aristocracy? Then the black is beautiful era arrived and they started to use African names? Then hip hop arrives and I know a guy called 2RUDE....What's next?

Ummmmm...likely because they don't know their original cultures or languages. So there is often no significant tie to names.

Beyond the U.S., in the English-speaking Caribbean (and likely most formerly British African nations), old British names are not uncommon common, among a host of others.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:13 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,544 times
So ultimately "assimilation" in the United States is attached to having a "foreign" (European or Hebrew) name?...

Old 04-16-2013, 11:29 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,754,711 times
Everyone knows Asians tend to kiss ass and hispanics don't. Who cares?

I find it more interesting when two immigrants meet and blend their names:

Carmelita Wong

Juan Epstien

Rufus O'Reilly

Sven Jackson

Kristen Hernandez

Liam Murkowski

Etc.,etc.,etc.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:57 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,684,999 times
i was thinking of giving my future kid this arabic name i really like (Aaliyah) but I know how racist and judgy americans can be about ethnic names (like tossing resumes in the trash and etc) so I think I'm going to switch her middle (common)name and just call her Aaliyah at home..she can put the common name on the resumes/applications..

Old 04-17-2013, 12:01 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,754,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i was thinking of giving my future kid this arabic name i really like (Aaliyah) but I know how racist and judgy americans can be about ethnic names (like tossing resumes in the trash and etc) so I think I'm going to switch her middle (common)name and just call her Aaliyah at home..she can put the common name on the resumes/applications..
Well, I think that is a cool name.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:06 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
You might be right. I remember the rescue of those miners in Chile a while back and they had "Hispanic" 1st and last names but many of the rescuers and govt officials had "anglo" sounding 1st names which was weird because all Chileans ARE Hispanic.
Well, some Chileans' heritage are from non-Hispanic European countries, such as France, Britain, or Germany. The late General Pinochet's ancestors were from France.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:23 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
My name is Victor. So, am I Hispanic, Germanic, Italian, French? What ghetto were my parents trying to keep me in?

Names have nothing to do with a person's success in life and I see a lot of statements in this thread that have zero knowledge or thought behind them. Oh, and my two daughters are named after Spanish royals. Gee, I hope they don't go on welfare because of it.
Actually, and unfortunately, they do.

How names influence our destinies - The Week
Do names matter?
To a remarkable degree, they do. Though we don't choose them, our names are badges bearing information about our class, education level, and ethnic origin — or at least those of our parents. Scientific studies have shown that the world makes different assumptions about a boy named Tyrone than it does about one named Philip, and while those assumptions are often wrong, they can have a considerable influence on the course of a life.

African American Hiring Trends: Do 'Black' Names Matter in Hiring? | Monster
The point is clear: Loquisha is a "black" name, and names affect destiny. That premise gained scientific backing with "Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal? A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination," an MIT-University of Chicago study conducted in 2001 and 2002 and published by the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) in 2003. Researchers sent 5,000 fictitious resumes for sales, clerical and customer service positions in Chicago and Boston. Applicants with white-sounding names were 50 percent more likely to be called for initial interviews than those with African American-sounding ones. The racial gap was uniform across occupation, industry and employer size.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:05 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,684,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, I think that is a cool name.
i do too but i can't risk it.. however if we win the lottery or strike oil, i can proceed with that name because she wont have to answer to anyone!

Old 04-17-2013, 04:51 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
People would most likely think she's named after the late singer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies