Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 03:40 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Doesn't matter. The British brought those names over with them and we adopted them.
Interesting. When it is proven that the origins are the same, it suddenly doesn't matter?

The Spanish, the Dutch, the Swedes, the Germans... all brought names that have been adopted as well.

And personally I think that the origins do matter. No matter the language they are all the same names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 03:41 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
We can't have a topic discussing it without you turning it into a smear campaign against conservatives? No one has said it was their business it is just a discussion of the facts.
Why? Because the people being responded to are the ones seem always to claim to be "conservative" and also ones who consistently, day after day, post comments a reasonably intelligent person will recognize as being prompted by what seems to be racial/ethnic prejudice. It's a valid/fair reference. Discussion of "facts" isn't what's taking place here ... at least not in commentary offered by self-described "conservatives," from what I'm reading. A true conservative wouldn't want to meddle so much in the personal life of millions of people ... suggesting they change their names, behave differently, etc. To do so is anti-American.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:43 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,315 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter. The British brought those names over with them and we adopted them.
I don't understand. Who is "we" native americans?

Old 06-18-2013, 04:07 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
This country's citizens, that's who.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:08 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Why? Because the people being responded to are the ones seem always to claim to be "conservative" and also ones who consistently, day after day, post comments a reasonably intelligent person will recognize as being prompted by what seems to be racial/ethnic prejudice. It's a valid/fair reference. Discussion of "facts" isn't what's taking place here ... at least not in commentary offered by self-described "conservatives," from what I'm reading. A true conservative wouldn't want to meddle so much in the personal life of millions of people ... suggesting they change their names, behave differently, etc. To do so is anti-American.
Discussing something is meddling?

Old 06-18-2013, 04:11 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Tex, Billy Bob, BUBBA, Cowpoop, etc.
Or, Juan Hong Lo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post

Quote:
The restless ones.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:14 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,315 times
Quote:
Who said we adopted them?

Screw that.

I'll stick with my German, Welsh, and Irish ancestry.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:02 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
No, the OP made the claim. And you are arguing alongside the OP.

And I know your eyes may be fading a bit, but I hope if you can read what I'm typing right now, you can read what I'm about to type, and have already typed. Good luck and godspeed. I know reading is difficult.

I'm telling you my situation and mine only. For others it may be different.

Okay, if you made it this far (which I'm not entirely sure you will), congratulations first of all. You've exceeded my expectations. I'll repeat the same sentiment though: I'm not claiming more hispanics give Anglo names than Spanish names. I don't know, but neither do you. I only stated what my experience has been.

If you made it this far, wow. It must have been quite the marathon.
The OP; me the Packard fan, tried to quote "Tom Lennox 70"; most of my post was copied from the Lennox poster. Sheesh!

Old 06-18-2013, 07:04 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,234 times
Quote:
You mean the British Americans had British names.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:04 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
The Spanish names were here first.
It doesn't matter. Spain ONLY owned New Spain, Florida and a few other parts of what is NOW the US in 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies