Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 07:41 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

What do you think of the oreo stunt by protesters of the emergency manager in Detroit. As a former Detroiter, I'm stunned. I've seen kids call black people oreos but I've never seen adults do it.

Protesters Now Using Oreos To Protest Detroit's Emergency Manager
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 07:58 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
I've read about this Emergency Manager nonsense going on in Michigan and...wow. Talk about one of the most undemocratic things I've ever seen happen in the United States.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Diversity, tolerance, equality.

I guess none of them is present in Detroit among these people.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:33 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
The New Black Panther Party is just as silly as ever.

When people have that wing-ding gene, they latch on to whatever cause or group that will feed that hungry monster in them.

I never understood in the article exactly how Orr was "white on the inside". If I had been on that city council, I would have brought oreo cookies to every meeting after and pass them around for all.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:44 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Note to self : do not bring Oreos to any work parties where there are black folks, or fried chicken or watermelon.

Political correctness is just getting too tricky for me. Everything has the potential to offend someone.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:22 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Note to self : do not bring Oreos to any work parties where there are black folks, or fried chicken or watermelon.

Political correctness is just getting too tricky for me. Everything has the potential to offend someone.
Jeez, and you guys sit in judgement of the rest of us?

Old 04-07-2013, 10:24 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
It's pretty juvenile, but in the grand scheme of social problems I don't think this is a really big one.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:29 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
What? Who's "you guys" and "us"?

Old 04-07-2013, 11:38 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:

This isn't about political correctness. The oreos were intended to insult. Bringing chicken, watermelon or oreos to a party is, perfectly ok. Using them to deliver a message is not. I suppose you could get yourself into trouble here if you invited the black panthers to dinner and served fried chicken, watermelon and oreos though.... I'd make sure there was lots of other stuff on the menu...

I did witness the children of one neighbor taunting a young professional couple who lived on the same block with "Oreo, oreo...you're only black on the outside", years ago when I lived in Detroit, but I thought this was just something ignorant kids did. I have never seen an adult do this.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:54 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
I have to agree with Jasper. After 30 years working in the financial field I switched over to the public sector and I'm now working with a very diverse workforce, and I have to say, for a white guy, it's like working in a minefield.

Every word, every action, even dress can be taken out of context by an "aggrieved" party. And as soon as a complaint is made you have to take sensitivity training, which is an incredible racket...I now understand why Sharpton and Jackson keep pushing their racist baloney, there's a lot of money to be made.

Even food can be a problem...someone brought in chocolate frosted yellow-cake cupcakes for a birthday, and you guessed it, sensitivity classes were mandated for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies