Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 06:21 AM

353 posts, read 395,300 times

Advertisements

I am always shocked when I encounter people who believe that there are instances when it's ok for a man to abuse a woman, because I tend to believe that under no circumstances should a man beat or hit a woman. If the woman is loud and unruly, why not simply walk away? Do we really want to live in a society where violence such as what happened below, is accepted and condoned? I certainly do not.

[FULL]Black Teenager Punches Woman After She Calls Him a 'Smelly Nigerian' On London Train - YouTube

I'm curious about your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 06:46 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,828 times
Violence towards ANYONE is never OK. Why do you want to single out women?

Old 04-14-2013, 06:50 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Violence is OK in the defense of self and others.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:50 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,328 times
She shouldn't have been running her trap.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:57 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
She shouldn't have been running her trap.
While violence is not a proper reaction to verbal insults in the real world those who hurl insults place themselves in a position where someone may not act properly. I have seen women use "fighting words" and depending on male restraint to avoid any negative consequences from their actions.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,828 times
If women want to be considered equals then I think they should learn that actions do have consequences. I'm not saying that violence should be the result of such behavior but it does happen. It's wrong whether it's against a man or a woman. I'm equally appalled at both.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:03 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
I was raised to believe that you never strike a lady. When a woman strikes you, then she gives up her status as a lady. Even so, as a rule, most men can restrain most women. However there are those women who are much more violent in nature and will not allow a man to simply "walk away". The bottom line is, you reap what you sew. Stay away from violent people.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:04 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
While violence is not a proper reaction to verbal insults in the real world those who hurl insults place themselves in a position where someone may not act properly. I have seen women use "fighting words" and depending on male restraint to avoid any negative consequences from their actions.
That's exactly what I was thinking. If I'm in an area where I can't physically remove myself, like a train, I'm not gonna get in a fight with somone that is physically dominant to me. Actually, I'm not gonna argue with people that are physically inferior to me either.

Though I don't think she should have been attacked she should've used her brains.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:18 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
I am always shocked when I encounter people who believe that there are instances when it's ok for a man to abuse a woman, because I tend to believe that under no circumstances should a man beat or hit a woman. If the woman is loud and unruly, why not simply walk away? Do we really want to live in a society where violence such as what happened below, is accepted and condoned? I certainly do not.
I couldn't agree more.

A lot of the work I do involves contact with abusers as well as victims of physical, mental and sexual abuse. I work closely with domestic violence agencies and women's and children's shelters. I find myself frequently talking to males about how there is no justification for beating or striking women and children. You'd be surprised how ingrained the idea is in some people that "She was asking for it" and so on. It's very sad and something I try hard to educate people about and change their mindset and behavior about in this area.

I do also agree with other posters who've said it's best to never engage in violence towards anyone whenever possible, but the fact is there are still many places in the world where violence and marginalization of women is not only condoned, it is systematic. Even in the USA I feel women are often thought of or depicted as second-class citizens. This does anger and trouble me.

As far as what I bolded from your quote above, this is one of the issues that I think we all take for granted:

When a man is "loud and unruly" he's often seen as just being assertive or fun-loving, but when a woman is behaving the same way, she is often seen as being shrill or bitchy. Not fair, not equitable.

Here are some stats concerning violence towards women, in case anyone thinks it is not a major problem:

■Every 9 seconds in the US a woman is assaulted or beaten.

■Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women—more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.

■Everyday in the US, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends.

(These stats are from the Domestc Violence Resource Center.)

I recently had to recertify for Domestic Violence training, an here are some more unnerving stats regarding the issue:

- The number one cause of death for pregnant women 16-40 is being killed by their husbands or boyfriends.

- Nationally, there are three times as many animal shelters as there are shelters for victims of domestic violence.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:25 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I couldn't agree more.

A lot of the work I do involves contact with abusers as well as victims of physical, mental and sexual abuse. I work closely with domestic violence agencies and women's and children's shelters. I find myself frequently talking to males about how there is no justification for beating or striking women and children. You'd be surprised how ingrained the idea is in some people that "She was asking for it" and so on. It's very sad and something I try hard to educate people about and change their mindset and behavior about in this area.

I do also agree with other posters who've said it's best to never engage in violence towards anyone whenever possible, but the fact is there are still many places in the world where violence and marginalization of women is not only condoned, it is systematic. Even in the USA I feel women are often thought of or depicted as second-class citizens. This does anger and trouble me.

As far as what I bolded from your quote above, this is one of the issues that I think we all take for granted:

When a man is "loud and unruly" he's often seen as just being assertive or fun-loving, but when a woman is behaving the same way, she is often seen as being shrill or bitchy. Not fair, not equitable.

Here are some stats concerning violence towards women, in case anyone thinks it is not a major problem:

■Every 9 seconds in the US a woman is assaulted or beaten.

■Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women—more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.

■Everyday in the US, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends.

(These stats are from the Domestc Violence Resource Center.)

I recently had to recertify for Domestic Violence training, an here are some more unnerving stats regarding the issue:

- The number one cause of death for pregnant women 16-40 is being killed by their husbands or boyfriends.

- Nationally, there are three times as many animal shelters as there are shelters for victims of domestic violence.
This is all very true and very compelling, however I have seen men severely injured by violent women. Women who simply would not allow a man to walk away peacefully and would literally physically attack the man. Men who took blow after blow from a woman in trying to make their escape and finally reached a point of self preservation and struck back, only to be arrested, It's not a one way street. There is no reason for a woman to ever attack a man violently either....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies