Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 04:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
but since you consider the Bible a bunch of nonsense, then I guess it doesn't mean anything.

Like it or not, there are people with that belief. This is AMERICA. We don't make everyone follow the same religion. We don't give special passes to the Gideon Society just because they are Christians. We do not have a state religion. The Founding Fathers, of whom you are so very fond, did not make Christianity the national religion. (They also weren't all Bible-following Christians and the proof of that are all the Jennings who pop up in Tom Jefferson's family tree.)

When you find the line in the Constitution that says, "Christians get a special pass and the Constitutional separation of church and state doesn't apply to them"..... let us know.

Here's the really great part. The really wonderful thing about our country: Because we DON'T have a national religion..... you have the freedom, and right, to worship as YOU please. You, Finn_Jarber, have the freedom to go to the church of your choosing and worship Christ. God bless America.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-14-2013 at 04:53 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 04:54 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Default Your ignorance is showing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
That is why they home school them, where the children use the bible as a history, science, social sciences, and math textbook.
You are very uninformed. You know nothing about home schooling; yet, you feel qualified to offer an opinion about it.

We used a very good curriculum from one of the largest publishers of home school materials. They had their separate math, science, history, English and social studies text books, just as public school students do.

Christians take the education of their children very seriously. This is why their kids outperform their peers in the public school system.

I don't know of anybody that home schools using only the Bible. No home school group I am aware of would even recommend it.

I can't imagine where you get your looney ideas from. Perhaps before you offer an opinion in the future, you might consider taking the time to inform yourself about the subject.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 04-14-2013 at 05:05 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 04:55 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
This comes up like clockwork every year on CD. They can distribute around the school just not on campus and everyone is happy. Anyone who is not happy with that is an idiot and that's I have to say about it because there is nothing more.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:58 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
When you find the line in the Constitution that says, "Christians get a special pass and the Constitutional separation of church and state doesn't apply to them"..... let us know.
Let me know when you find the words "separation of church and state" in the Constitution.

Did you know that church services were held in the U.S. Capitol and Treasury buildings every Sunday?

Old 04-14-2013, 05:05 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Let me know when you find the words "separation of church and state" in the Constitution.

Did you know that church services were held in the U.S. Capitol and Treasury buildings every Sunday?
What does that matter when it comes to kids in school?

No religion should be in schools where kids are a captive audience. Keeping your own kids captive at homeschool is the way to go if that appeals to you. It's legal to do that, but trust it will backfire a large percentage of the time and the kids will ditch religion as adults. Keeping it out of school works to the benefit of Christians (and those of other faiths) who attend public schools too since, believe you me, you would NOT want my views or interpretations being presented .

The most successful homeschooler I know from my childhood was from a non religious family and was homeschooled off and on because the family moved around the world a lot...which was an education in itself. He had tutors as well because he was very scientifically inclined and his parents were not and went to a good college and got a good job yadda yadda. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, can give their kids everything. They can give them what they can and call it successful because nobody got pregnant or hooked on drugs or whatever they fear, but that's entirely different. This public school girl didn't do those things either thankyouverymuch!

Old 04-14-2013, 05:22 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
People think it's okay for schools to give students birth control, or even help them go get an abortion, without their parents' knowledge, and everyone's now upset about Bibles being put in their hands without their parents' knowledge. I'm sure the ACLU will prevail, but isn't there something wrong with this picture?
Yes, there is something wrong. Look, the public schools are teaching their own brand of religion. Children are being brainwashed, being taught to sing songs in praise of Obama, for God's sake! Is this not indoctrination?

"The Story of Stuff" is used to teach anti-capitalist propaganda.

This is why they cannot allow Christian materials anywhere near a public school, because it undermines their effort to poison the minds of children with Progressive ideology! Heaven forbid that they should be exposed to truth, and values! Morality is a dirty word among liberals, and absolute truth is non-existent.

My advice to any parent that cares about their children's education would be to get them out of the public schools as fast as they can!

It is not hard to home school. We found that our kids became very self motivated, and they really "took flight." They are far smarter than the average public school kids (my kids are now adults, and I have 3 grand children).

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 04-14-2013 at 05:34 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 05:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:

And attendance isn't mandatory. No one is walking the halls of Congress with a Bible telling Joseph Lieberman he has to attend. Another really great thing about our country.... HE is free to go to temple. Or not. Yay.

Separation of church and state. The freedom for YOU to choose your church. Senator Lieberman gets to choose if he goes to temple. That is heart-stopping, wondrous, glorious freedom. But funny how it's the finger-shaking Christians, who want everyone else to believe exactly what they believe, that never seem to get just how special that is.

It's an incredible part of our country. It's one of the BEST things about being an American. And the Christian right fails to appreciate it because they're so busy telling everyone else what to do.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:33 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If handing out bibles is promoting religion isn't handing out condoms promoting casual sex among minors ?
No because the children too young to understand can at least use the condoms for balloons.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:42 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
That is why they home school them, where the children use the bible as a history, science, social sciences, and math textbook.
What a silly statement. I know many high achieving kids who have been homeschooled and they are well rounded, grounded kids in college now.

When I was a kid, early 50's, I think it was the Gideons that came to our elementary school every so often and gave a little bible story up on the stage with figures they stuck on a felt covered board. We looked so forward to it. It was just a story to many of us and we loved it. I believe if you asked for a small new testament they would give you one but it was not required. No body ever complained that I knew of. A really different time. Of course, we didn't have any muslims that I knew of and nobody cared if you were Jewish. The jewish kid or two seemed to like the stories, too. No big deal all the way around.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:47 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
What a silly statement. I know many high achieving kids who have been homeschooled and they are well rounded, grounded kids in college now.

When I was a kid, early 50's, I think it was the Gideons that came to our elementary school every so often and gave a little bible story up on the stage with figures they stuck on a felt covered board. We looked so forward to it. It was just a story to many of us and we loved it. I believe if you asked for a small new testament they would give you one but it was not required. No body ever complained that I knew of. A really different time. Of course, we didn't have any muslims that I knew of and nobody cared if you were Jewish. The jewish kid or two seemed to like the stories, too. No big deal all the way around.

Well it is a big deal now.

I am sure kids will listen to anything just to get out of class, especially back in the 50s. Did the Gideons happen to cherry pick a nice story for the stage? For example I assume they didn't reenact ezekiel 4:12 .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies