Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 12:16 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Gideons are not a government organization so ACLU has no case.
Yes they do have a case. Schools are run by the government. But using your logic the schools could give out Korans and as long as the company publishing those Korans was a private company that would be ok

Old 04-14-2013, 12:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Commenting on the investigation, ACLU of Kentucky Executive Director Michael Aldridge said, “Directing the religious upbringing of one’s own children is one of the most fundamental rights a parent can have. When government officials, including school officials, take it upon themselves to usurp that parental prerogative, they exceed their governmental authority and undermine religious liberty.” Aldridge added, “The ACLU of Kentucky fully supports the rights of all religious groups to promote their message of faith. Government officials, however, cannot allow our public elementary schools to be used by others to promote one religion over another.”
If handing out bibles is promoting religion isn't handing out condoms promoting casual sex among minors ?

Old 04-14-2013, 12:24 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
When with the God-hating ACLU learn that the US is a Christian nation and stop attacking our founding principles?

ACLU Seeks to Ban Bible Distribution in Kentucky Schools

"The American Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky sent a letter Thursday to 174 public school superintendents citing the possibility of a lawsuit in the 2013-2014 academic school year if they continue to allow The Gideons International to distribute Bibles, the New Testament and religious literature to students on public school campuses."

The ACLU claims that "this practice violates both federal and state constitutional guarantees barring governmental endorsement of religion, and it also impermissibly encroaches upon parents' prerogative to direct the religious upbringing of their children. By allowing an outside group to distribute sectarian materials directly to public elementary school students during school hours, school officials create the impression that the school endorses those religious views which subjects the students to 'subtle coercive pressure' to accept the proffered religious materials.'"
So what if they were distributing the Quran (Islamic religious text) in an attempt to convert a child to that belief, or even better, a handbook for Satanists? My guess is that you'd be freaking out. That's why we keep religion out of public schools and leave religious instruction up to parents and their own faith group--WHERE IT BELONGS.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:26 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You're showing me 9-11 and saying this is what religion will do ?
Religion has been around for a long time my friend.

And if you think 9-11 was a religious act then you need to do a lot more reading.
I'm sure you're one of those guys who were saying that this wasn't Islam at work, that Islam is a religion of peace, right?

Old 04-14-2013, 12:28 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
Quote:
I've seen them on college campuses. They do not force it on you and don't even approach you.
You CHOOSE to stop at their table and you CHOOSE to take a Bible if you so want.

Why do so many have this fear of religion ?

If you brought you kid up to not believe in God and to stay away from Bibles then what do you fear ?
What if you are Jewish like me? We don't evangelize, but something tells me if I stood outside a school and even suggested people reject Jesus, parents would have a problem with it.

Perhaps I should go to this school in KY and test my theory out.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'm sure you're one of those guys who were saying that this wasn't Islam at work, that Islam is a religion of peace, right?
No. I think geopolitics had more to do with 9-11 then the sayings in the Koran.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:34 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
If handing out bibles is promoting religion isn't handing out condoms promoting casual sex among minors ?
Do we have constitutional protections against contraception?

Old 04-14-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
What if you are Jewish like me? We don't evangelize, but something tells me if I stood outside a school and even suggested people reject Jesus, parents would have a problem with it.

Perhaps I should go to this school in KY and test my theory out.
But why since the Jews didn't reject Jesus ?
They just don't believe that he was "the One" but they didn't reject him.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Do we have constitutional protections against contraception?
Do school kids know that ?

You have protection against the state forming a national religion, that's what you have.

People have interpreted that to mean the sight of a bible on school property is promotion of a religion.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:38 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
Quote:
But why since the Jews didn't reject Jesus ?
They just don't believe that he was "the One" but they didn't reject him.
Hey, I will happily put on the old yarmulke and give a lesson about Judiasm that's much more specific and less general.

Still, I don't think those parents will like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies