Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:29 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,850,056 times

Advertisements

No it is not over hyped. I don't know how it is nowadays but when I was a schoolboy (in the 60s and early 70s) it was pretty bad, actually I wasn't bullied in primary school but quite a lot in high school (and the Boys Scouts). And no it didn't come from me it came from a culture of letting the bullies have their ways on the weakest.
It had a good consequence for me too : being weary of getting bullied around 14 , I took to body building and judo. Not only did it boost my self confidence but my physical appearance too. Or how to revert a negative situation into a positive one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 08:32 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,850,056 times
Oh and @deosterreich : your "rite of passage" you can wipe your ass with it.
There is no justification whatsoever for bullying which is just a sadistic, demeaning practice (as demeaning for the authors as for the victims...)

Old 04-17-2013, 08:33 AM

14,651 posts, read 14,575,727 times
I am glad there is a focus on bullying these days. Not sure it will ever go away, but hopefully it will become stigmatized enough for kids to break out of their cliques a bit more to not tolerate it as much as when we were growing up.
That being said, there is some poetic justice in the skinny nerds who get bullied by the dumb jocks and fat rednecks all through school often growing up to be the one who holds the latter's employment future in their hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Oh and @deosterreich : your "rite of passage" you can wipe your ass with it.
There is no justification whatsoever for bullying which is just a sadistic, demeaning practice (as demeaning for the authors as for the victims...)
You can almost perceive who were the bullies and the bullied by the responses to this topic.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:41 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,894,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Yes, it was and is a daily occurrence. However, its only in recent history have these suicides started to occur. People have been picked on, "bullied" (a much overused term) since the dawn of time. They didn't kill themselves. They worked hard, made something of their lives, and came through it.

Like it or not, now alot of people are just "wusses." The idea everyone is created the same, there is no second place, and all the liberal thoughts/ideals have failed. We are raising a group of persons who just cannot handle life and its beginning to show. Absolutely nothing has changed. Nothing.

Suicide amongst younger people is not a new phenomenon. We really can't know if someone in the past may have killed themselves because of bullying, because bullying wasn't really acknowledged in the same way it is now. Just like sexual abuse was swept under the rug.

People not being to handle life really is not something new. Some people might pull through the bullying experience as you suggest, with no lasting effects. Others might develop self destructive habits, or find someone else to bully.

As far as suicide goes, it is my understanding that law enforcement is better about identifying what may have been a possible suicide than they were in the past.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:09 AM

3,495 posts, read 2,774,058 times
Today in society there is a real lack of respect and in a lot of cases this begins with childhood bullying. Is this really something that should be tolerated?

Old 04-17-2013, 09:26 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,894,906 times
One more thing I hadn't thought of for the Phils of the world....

When I was in high school I went to school with a boy with cystic fibrosis. Every day was a struggle for him, he never harmed or caused ill will toward anyone.

He was the victim of some subtle bullying, some that I even feel our PE teacher was in on.

He died several years after high school due to complications of his disease.

Why oh why should a kid like that have to endure any sort of bullying. Real men would never endorse the treatment that kid got, but it did show the true colors of a few boys I went to school with and also the PE teacher.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:16 AM

8,012 posts, read 8,186,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Oh please. I'm saying we all grew up at certain different time periods. When I was in school, people were picked on, teased, made fun of, et al. NO ONE committed suicide. I never read, nor saw news reports of some school kid killing themselves, because someone picked on them.

Look at the times. The military, mostly made up of YOUNG people, are committing suicide in record numbers. You didn't see those kinds of suicide rates in Vietnam, Korea, or World War II. MANY of the military persons now, killing themselves, never even saw combat. Never fired a weapon at a threat, never had a shot fired at them.

The issue is political correctness and not raising children to realize life is hard and tough. There are second place finishers and last place finishers. You can't come out number one on everything. Yes Jane, you are ugly. You aren't beautiful and smart. No Johnny, you cannot play on the football team. You suck.

We need to start raising children with correct and true expectations. Not some fanciful pie in the sky, life is full of fluffy clouds and rainbows. When we start teaching kids life is hard, life is difficult, and you can't always get what you want, maybe some of them will grow a pair, suck it up, and get on with their lives. Not end them.
I always love how you and others like you always put all of the the focus and all of the blame of the blame on the victims and none on the bullies when they are the ones causing trouble. Here's is why the anti-bullying movement has gotten so much attention; There is absolutely no reason at all why anyone should be a jerk to anybody. It's not rocket science. In a decent society those who make trouble are the ones who should get punished. It really makes you wonder that the people who are so intent on placing the victim at blame 100% of the time for bullying either use to be or are still bullies themselves. There's really no reason why this topic should be brought up so much.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:16 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,376,460 times
I work at a university, and I too see the students who come in who need their hands held through some of the most basic things. But this has nothing to do with bullying.

For those of you who seem to think that this is not a big deal, does that extend to hazing? Maybe we are too soft there too... lets just let all forms of harassment and bullying and hazing happen, after all kids will be kids right? We just have to learn to take our knocks and be strong? Right?

Everyone in school has the right to be in a safe environment. These behaviors are NOT ACCEPTABLE.

For some, sure a little fighting back may help. But that does not happen in every case. There was a kid in my school who was teased and tormented. He fought back - he was suspended. He came back to school and things went right back to the way they were.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:20 PM

805 posts, read 1,159,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I always love how you and others like you always put all of the the focus and all of the blame of the blame on the victims and none on the bullies when they are the ones causing trouble. Here's is why the anti-bullying movement has gotten so much attention; There is absolutely no reason at all why anyone should be a jerk to anybody. It's not rocket science. In a decent society those who make trouble are the ones who should get punished. It really makes you wonder that the people who are so intent on placing the victim at blame 100% of the time for bullying either use to be or are still bullies themselves. There's really no reason why this topic should be brought up so much.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:08 PM

10,312 posts, read 8,506,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Seems to me that Phil306 is a very frightened person well on the way to becoming a Bully in Blue.

Bullies can be stopped with violence but that can lead to you becoming a bully. The Dark Side is never far away.

Yeah, the world can be hard but if you apply your intellect study the situation and figure a way to stop the problem the world becomes a lot easier. I always try to discover the easy and cheap way out because why should I spend more effort and money than I have to? The latter just leaves you tired and broke.
So is this how bullying starts? You start labeling and calling others names because they don't see eye to eye with you?

There is no 100% answer that is one way or the other. It is a problem, but one that is probably made worse by some that are oversensitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies