Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should the drinking age be in the US?
21 16 17.20%
18 42 45.16%
16 0 0%
18 for beer/wine, 21 for spirits 11 11.83%
16 for beer/wine, 18 for spirits 5 5.38%
There should not be a minimum, kids should be taught how to drink appropriately at an early age. 19 20.43%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 02:41 PM

35 posts, read 32,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
Is there anyone closely involved in the political field that could give me some insight on if this topic has been discussed at length in congress?
I don't think so. And actually states CAN have a lower drinknig age than 21. What happens if they do so, is that they lose a certain amount of there federal highway funds for road construction projects that are helped by the feds. And if they lose that fedral money and would have to put it in the budgets themselves it could blow huge holes in ANY states budget. So they do it to help keep federal highway construction money. And this WAS NOT done by some liberal. The push to have a de facto national drinknig age of 21 was pushed in 1984(IIRC) by Ronald Regan who conservatives to this day regard as a hero with states rights. Now I'm not trying to knock Regan here but doing this seemed to go against states rights and what he professed to believe in. And for what it is worth here is a link to a wikepidia article on the act that put the drinknig age to 21.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...inking_Age_Act.

The Dole that was the defendant in the lawsuit filed by the state of South Dakota was Elizabeth as she was Secretary of Transportation for President Reagan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 02:50 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
I don't think so. And actually states CAN have a lower drinknig age than 21. What happens if they do so, is that they lose a certain amount of there federal highway funds for road construction projects that are helped by the feds. And if they lose that fedral money and would have to put it in the budgets themselves it could blow huge holes in ANY states budget. So they do it to help keep federal highway construction money. And this WAS NOT done by some liberal. The push to have a de facto national drinknig age of 21 was pushed in 1984(IIRC) by Ronald Regan who conservatives to this day regard as a hero with states rights. Now I'm not trying to knock Regan here but doing this seemed to go against states rights and what he professed to believe in.
Congress enacts the laws in this nation, not Presidents. This is basic civics. In 1984 the GOP controlled the Senate and Democrats controlled the House. You are demonstrating your ignorance about how your own government functions with the above post.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:53 PM

35 posts, read 32,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Congress enacts the laws in this nation, not Presidents. This is basic civics. In 1984 the GOP controlled the Senate and Democrats controlled the House. You are demonstrating your ignorance about how your own government functions with the above post.
NIce try to tell me I don't know hwo government works. I was a political science major in college. If Regan had not been behind this it never becomes law

Old 04-16-2013, 03:09 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
We forget our national history. Americans were drop down drunkards. That is one of the reason that precipatated prohibition.
The reason we had prohibition is complex first was because we were transitioning from a rural farm economy to a urban industrialized economy. On the pre-industrial farm if you got ****faced, oh well you might plow funny but your chances of dying were negligible, in a 19th and early 20th century factory with all its hazards your chances of dying from being drunk were substantially higher. Additionally on the farm you generally were growing your own food in the factory town you needed your paycheck to buy food and if you drank it you and your family were screwed.

On top of all this initially Americans drank beer and hard cider. As trade and technology increased, distilling became more common place and people were no longer drinking beer and cider, but rather whisky and to a lesser extent rum. Thus people were much more capable of getting totally hammered as it is easier with distilled spirits then it is will beer as any college freshman can tell you.

All these factors led women especially to push for banning alcohol.

As to the OP I am for no age limit on alcohol. I started drinking at age 8-10 w/adult supervision and had my first cocktails when I was 14 (yes that was legal where I was at the time) and as alcohol was totally demystified for me by the time I got to college so I understood to never engage myself in a dangerous situation with it.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 04-16-2013 at 03:17 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 03:10 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrunner88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
The problem with this, though, is you are legislating based on the lowest common denominator. Passing laws that punish intelligent and sensible people because of the obliviots. Are you honestly going to say that a 19-year-old college student should be put into jail for having a glass of wine with dinner? What about a craft beer while grilling a steak? Sipping a fruity cocktail on the beach?
College students are not put in jail for underage drinking. Nice try. I was caught by the police once for underage drinking, and all I got was a $150 fine.
Oops... I was typing too fast. No, you are correct, I've never heard of someone being arrested and put into jail for underage drinking. But I HAVE heard of people being arrested for giving alcohol to minors, which is what I was thinking about as I typed that. So change the quoted paragraph to:
Quote:
The problem with this, though, is you are legislating based on the lowest common denominator. Passing laws that punish intelligent and sensible people because of the obliviots. Are you honestly going to say that a 21-year-old college student should be put in jail for for having a glass of wine with dinner with his 19-year-old girlfriend? What about a craft beer while grilling a steak? Sipping a fruity cocktail on the beach? Should a parent lose custody of his child for letting him have a sip of Mike's Hard Lemonade?

Old 04-16-2013, 03:14 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
women 18
men 50

Old 04-16-2013, 03:23 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post

Everyone brewed beer.

Before prohibition there were over 23,000 breweries. After prohibition 6.

They didn't bring water over in the ships. They brought beer. Something to do with the water and it being bad. Boiling it and making beer made the water drinkable.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:25 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,634 times
I think a child's parents ought to be able to give a child a beer, champagne (New Years) wine (dinner), without ANY intrusion from anyone else regarding opinion. I also think that if the US handled alcohol like they do in Germany, there would be far less kids going psycho, rebelling against adults who say, "No you can't!" because alcohol consumption would be no big deal.

Funny that for most kids in Germany, where they can drink without all the drama, kids are less likely to consume excess alcohol.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:59 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I think a child's parents ought to be able to give a child a beer, champagne (New Years) wine (dinner), without ANY intrusion from anyone else regarding opinion. I also think that if the US handled alcohol like they do in Germany, there would be far less kids going psycho, rebelling against adults who say, "No you can't!" because alcohol consumption would be no big deal.

Funny that for most kids in Germany, where they can drink without all the drama, kids are less likely to consume excess alcohol.
Absolutely. I remember sitting in a bar in the Netherlands in my mid-teens. No one thought it was strange or out of place. Ironically, this bar was attached to a gymnasium. Nothing like a cold brewski after a tough workout.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post

Right, not.

German teenagers are drinking less alcohol, but more irresponsibly | Germany | DW.DE | 04.02.2011
Wasted Youth: Germany Reports Surge in Teenage Binge Drinking - SPIEGEL ONLINE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies