Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:38 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So what happens when you children leave home? What happens when they grow up and move out? Are they not apart of the community then, much like you are now?
Oh absolutely, in fact, one of them has already left and lives 2000 miles away. I never said I WOULD raise my children as shut-ins, just mentioning that I have the right to do so.

I would like to ask Melissa and people who think like her a question. What if her children "belonged" to a society that she found abhorrent? What if it is was the racist, sexist, homophobe 1950s of the American South? Would she so readily give her children to society in a case like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 11:44 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Oh absolutely, in fact, one of them has already left and lives 2000 miles away. I never said I WOULD raise my children as shut-ins, just mentioning that I have the right to do so.

I would like to ask Melissa and people who think like her a question. What if her children "belonged" to a society that she found abhorrent? What if it is was the racist, sexist, homophobe 1950s of the American South? Would she so readily give her children to society in a case like that?
Children of the 1950s were also apart of society. We all belong to the community because we are all apart of it. I seriously think you are trying to read too deep into something as simple as if you don't live in some isolated place from the rest of civilization, then you too are apart of the community.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:51 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Or even worse, the racist, sexist, hetrophobic, businessphobic society of, say, San Francisco?

Old 04-15-2013, 12:10 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,730 times
Quote:
Children of the 1950s were also apart of society. We all belong to the community because we are all apart of it. I seriously think you are trying to read too deep into something as simple as if you don't live in some isolated place from the rest of civilization, then you too are apart of the community.
There is a big difference between being a PART of society and BELONGING to society. The first is a given. Of course, we are all part of society, even shut-ins.

But people like her want my children to BELONG to society (rather than their parents). There is a difference. If my child belongs to society, they can get an abortion without my consent or birth control. They can learn about sex before I think they are ready for it.

Now, again, I personally taught my kids about sex before their friends learned about it in school. But I demand to have the RIGHT to determine when they are ready for these things.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
There is a big difference between being a PART of society and BELONGING to society. The first is a given. Of course, we are all part of society, even shut-ins.

But people like her want my children to BELONG to society (rather than their parents). There is a difference. If my child belongs to society, they can get an abortion without my consent or birth control. They can learn about sex before I think they are ready for it.

Now, again, I personally taught my kids about sex before their friends learned about it in school. But I demand to have the RIGHT to determine when they are ready for these things.
False, BELONG and A PART are the same thing, you are just trying to look into something that doesn't exist.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
False, BELONG and A PART are the same thing, you are just trying to look into something that doesn't exist.
I want NO part of her community. Your children are only "yours" in the privacy of your home ?
NO THANK YOU. Let her lead your children down the road to Utopia.
Vote me off the island please.

Melissa Harris-Perry: ‘I Stand By’ ‘Kids Belong to Whole Communities’ MSNBC Promo | Video | TheBlaze.com
“This is about whether we as a society, expressing our collective will through our public institutions, including our government, have a right to impinge on individual freedoms in order to advance a common good. And that is exactly the fight that we have been having for a couple hundred years,” she said.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I want NO part of her community. Your children are only "yours" in the privacy of your home ?
NO THANK YOU. Let her lead your children down the road to Utopia.

Melissa Harris-Perry: ‘I Stand By’ ‘Kids Belong to Whole Communities’ MSNBC Promo | Video | TheBlaze.com
“This is about whether we as a society, expressing our collective will through our public institutions, including our government, have a right to impinge on individual freedoms in order to advance a common good. And that is exactly the fight that we have been having for a couple hundred years,” she said.
Well her community is my community is your community. If you live in this country, then we are all apart of the same community.

I don't see what the issue is or the reason for all this whining. Do you guys pretend that you live in some sort of bubble that has no effect on the people around you?

Old 04-15-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Well her community is my community is your community. If you live in this country, then we are all apart of the same community.

I don't see what the issue is or the reason for all this whining. Do you guys pretend that you live in some sort of bubble that has no effect on the people around you?
She's talking about kids, not adults here. You are not part of the community she's talking of.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:48 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,483 times
Sounds like a good way to indoctrinate little bomb delivery units to sacrifice for the "greater good"

Old 04-15-2013, 01:49 PM

And where in history have we seen this type of "collectivism" at work, especially with the children ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies