Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 07:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
OMG, are you kidding me? First off, police are trained to always, ALWAYS put they're hands on their guns....as a precautionary measure.

Second, they didn't know you from Adam and you could have had a gun in your purse????
Third, do you realize, what cops deal with each and every day of they're lives? CRIMINALS, and they are usually packing more sophisticaed weapons then the cops....

I don't mean to make you feel foolish, and yes of course you were scared, but what they did was routine, nothing personal and what they do or should do, every time they make a stop. Most cops are killed by either a traffic stop or by passing cars on the scene of a traffic stop....
Sorry, I'm with Tex here. I don't think any of us know how we'll respond in such a situation until we're in it.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 AM

21,468 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
I actually don't see this article as hoping that blame lies with a white person for any other reason than what it CLEARLY states:

If it is a non-white perpetrator, our reaction generally appears to assign blame to an entire demographic - you can find this in many of the threads on this forum that call for closing borders, deporting certain groups, etc. even though nobody officially has any idea who is behind this.

If it is a white perpetrator, our reaction generally appears to assign blame to that one person only - not the collective demographic.

In that sense, the writer hopes that the perpetrator is white simply because if that is the case, repercussions for all our lives will be much more minimal if we go by historical reactions.

Thus, if the perpetrator is non-white, the writer speculates that we all can expect a barrage of new regulations, more erosion of freedoms, and a huge impact on our lives because of it. If the guy is white, well, then he was just a nut job who lost it.

How can anyone misunderstand the premise of the article? Unless, of course, they failed to read it and simply jumped on the "liberals hate white Americans" bandwagon based on the headline.
The common denominator is that those entire demographics are considered foreigners. It isn't because of white privilege. An American black group committing terrorist acts wouldn't bring down the wrath against all blacks anymore than an American white group would. The fact of the matter is that even if the Muslim group is comprised of American citizens, it would still be considered influenced by outsiders as it most likely would be. I can't even imagine a group of Mexican nationals doing something like this.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
But MSNBC has steadily been going on about right wing terrorists, saying most domestic terrorists are right wing extremists. I guess they forgot Ted Kazinski, Christopher Doerne, the father-son snipers, Bill Ayers and all the anti-war protestors of the sixties, eco-terrorists.

I will admit though that I wouldn't be surprised if it did turn out to be right wing types because of the gun control laws. I remember Oklahoma City in response to Waco and Ruby Ridge. The problem I have is that MSNBC and now this Salon writer seem so eager for that to be the case.
I think you could make the same case on the other side too--people frantically screaming that it CAN'T be a domestic terrorist. The truth is that we don't know, and it could be either group. I just want them to find out who did it and execute them.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:58 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
OMG, are you kidding me? First off, police are trained to always, ALWAYS put they're hands on their guns....as a precautionary measure.

Second, they didn't know you from Adam and you could have had a gun in your purse????
Third, do you realize, what cops deal with each and every day of they're lives? CRIMINALS, and they are usually packing more sophisticaed weapons then the cops....

I don't mean to make you feel foolish, and yes of course you were scared, but what they did was routine, nothing personal and what they do or should do, every time they make a stop. Most cops are killed by either a traffic stop or by passing cars on the scene of a traffic stop....
But why would cops stop someone, ask them to show their papers, and then tell her to put her hands in the air when she tries to go into her purse to get them? Where do they THINK a woman is keeping her license and registration, in her bra?

Old 04-17-2013, 08:01 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Default Leftist Actor Jay Mohr Calls For Gun Ban In Wake Of Boston Marathon Bombing

Never let a perfectly good tragedy go to waste. Indeed. Stay classy liberals.

Actor Jay Mohr calls for gun ban in wake of Boston Marathon bombing - Washington Times

Old 04-17-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Perhaps it is too soon for an article on it but the general topic isn't a left or right thing. It's not about being PC. Claiming otherwise seems disingenuous or being purposefully blind.

In the wake of 9/11, our reaction as a country was that of a single minded zealot in the haze of bloodlust.

It's not how Muslim's were treated (although there is that too) but how we reacted. It's the things we, as a country smiled, waved and were willing to give up to keep us safe from the foreign boogeyman. Patriot act? Sure, no problem. Gitmo? No problem. A decade long war in multiple countries? We'll do that...and so it went.

So all in all, I and most of my friends have quietly already said amongst ourselves we hope an American is the perp. It has nothing to do with sparing someone's feelings and everything to do with fearing what our reaction would be and the lengths we will go, as a country, if it's a foreigner...especially a foreigner from certain parts of the world.
If it is foreigners, you know Obama isn't going to do anything but make a speech about it and possibly send a drone to kill a few people as he's been doing all along, but nothing will change. When he says, "Make no mistake, we will get to the bottom of this," it's just more empty words and almost identical to what he said about Benghazi. He's like the parent who tells his kid he'll ground him if he does something, and then lets him go to a party that same night. I have rather a lot more faith in the Massachusetts police and the FBI though.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:08 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES - FORREST GUMP - YouTube

Sounds like another 3rd rate Hollywood celib after some free publicity.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 AM

1,127 posts, read 903,666 times
What makes Jay Mohr a leftist?

Old 04-17-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I think you could make the same case on the other side too--people frantically screaming that it CAN'T be a domestic terrorist. The truth is that we don't know, and it could be either group. I just want them to find out who did it and execute them.
Actually, I've watched a little bit of Fox and ABC News, and Fox has been pretty fair-minded about it. They mentioned Oklahoma City and right wing terrorists as a possibility among other groups. ABC said several times right-wing domestic terrorists, as if there are no other kind. Apparently, no one sees a motive for a left wing terrorist group here.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:11 AM

6,261 posts, read 5,069,270 times
Don't know who he is. Don't care what he says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies