Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 08:24 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times

Advertisements

Now I'm convinced this family is pure evil.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:30 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
if only we would've been cracking down on conspiracy nuts before this happened.
They wouldn't even have to go far.

They could start right here on City Data - we have plenty of "nuts" right here on this very thread.

Some (all?) who are already familiar with and fans of the biggest conspiracy nut of all - Alex Jones.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
Conspiracy theorists are saying the first brother is still alive
Along with Elvis, bin Laden, John Kennedy et al?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceP View Post
Janet Napolitano is right now on Cnn.com. She is talking about the derogatory information on the Boston Bombings.

There was no spelling error, there was just not derogatory information on either brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Which goes against what the Feds said.
People (here) wonder why all these conspiracy theories fly around, well, maybe it's the stories that keep changing sometimes the same day by officials who are supposed to KNOW what's going on. You have the head of DHS completely contradicting what Federal law enforcement investigators have said, you've got officials playing fast and loose with what actually occurred between Russia and our LEO's bending it to fit this situation. So given all these contradictory stories obviously designed as a CYA attempt how does anyone believe what is being said?
Actually, that is NOT what Napolitano said. She said that although there was a misspelling of Tsarnaev's name, they have counter-checks which showed he traveled to the Soviet Union.

I would posit that people posting incorrect information, and others running with it, helps the conspiracy theorists.

Bombing suspect not on terror watch list - CNN.com
**"There was a missed match there" involving the incorrect spelling of Tsarnaev's name, Napolitano said, adding that "even with the misspelling, in our current system there are redundancies and so the system did ping when he was leaving the United States."

Be careful what you report, people!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:45 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,127,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Along with Elvis, bin Laden, John Kennedy et al?

Actually, that is NOT what Napolitano said. She said that although there was a misspelling of Tsarnaev's name, they have counter-checks which showed he traveled to the Soviet Union.

I would posit that people posting incorrect information, and others running with it, helps the conspiracy theorists.

Bombing suspect not on terror watch list - CNN.com
**"There was a missed match there" involving the incorrect spelling of Tsarnaev's name, Napolitano said, adding that "even with the misspelling, in our current system there are redundancies and so the system did ping when he was leaving the United States."

Be careful what you report, people!
Katiana she did say that this morning on CNN when speaking about the immigration reform.

Janet Napolitano said her agency was aware Tamerlan Tsarnaev traveled to Russia in 2011, as the homeland security czar testified today before a Congressional committee on a comprehensive immigration reform bill that is now under a pall cast by the Boston Marathon bombing.

“The system pinged when he was leaving the United States,” said Napolitano, who remained tight-lipped on the investigation saying she plans to brief senators fully on Thursday. “There’s a lot of misinformation out there ... There’s going to be a classified briefing on Thursday for the Senate. What I would recommend we do is have that briefing and see what if any questions arise at that point that may have any relevance at all to immigration legislation.”

The revelation comes as U.S. Sen. Lindsay Graham suggested that security officials weren’t aware of Tsarnaev’s trip because his name was misspelled in a Aeroflot database. Tsarnaev’s trip is seen as key because many believe he underwent further radicalization during his six-month trip before he returned to the United States in July.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Yeah. Great flck. Except Nurse Ratched had McMurphy lobotomized. Speaking of lobotomies, I wonder if James Holmes was lobotomized in the jailhouse hospital. He went from a university student, to a vegetable.
Jailhouse hospital, LOL! They take prisoners to the regular hospital for all but the most trivial matters. I've been at the hospital when prisoners were brought in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Plenty of men, born and raised here, expect their women to be subservient. It's not just a foreign phenomenon. The mentality of abused women (and I'm sure we will learn that he was physically and emotionally abusive to his wife) is a tough nut to crack - there's definitely an element of Stockholm syndrome.
Not to that extent.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:

Not to that extent.
Actually, pretty close to that extent. I know a couple that belong to a Pentecostal sect, they can only wear clothes that they make themselves, she's not permitted to cut her hair, but she must always keep it bound and up (her hair is her glory, and only her husband is permitted to see it down and loose). She works, but her paycheck is automatically deposited in a bank account that only her husband has access to. They believe that her role is to submit to him, that his decisions are the will of God.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:59 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:

Not to that extent.
My American born, Jewish uncle has a mail order bride who is younger than me (and I'm only 25 - he's in his mid-50s). Yes, to that extent. The way he treats her (and is accepted by the mail-order bride community) is horrific to me. No outright abuse, but extreme control over her life and that was specifically why he decided to find a much younger partner from an Asian country (following stereotypes of course). Several of our more conservative Catholic posters also expound similar views - though in their case, they EXPECT and DEMAND that the woman stay at home working far more than 80 hours a week taking care of the children. It's unusual for the man to demand that his wife work while he stays at home - even, perhaps, more unusual for someone from a Muslim background.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceP View Post
Katiana she did say that this morning on CNN when speaking about the immigration reform.

Janet Napolitano said her agency was aware Tamerlan Tsarnaev traveled to Russia in 2011, as the homeland security czar testified today before a Congressional committee on a comprehensive immigration reform bill that is now under a pall cast by the Boston Marathon bombing.

“The system pinged when he was leaving the United States,” said Napolitano, who remained tight-lipped on the investigation saying she plans to brief senators fully on Thursday. “There’s a lot of misinformation out there ... There’s going to be a classified briefing on Thursday for the Senate. What I would recommend we do is have that briefing and see what if any questions arise at that point that may have any relevance at all to immigration legislation.”

The revelation comes as U.S. Sen. Lindsay Graham suggested that security officials weren’t aware of Tsarnaev’s trip because his name was misspelled in a Aeroflot database. Tsarnaev’s trip is seen as key because many believe he underwent further radicalization during his six-month trip before he returned to the United States in July.
There is nothing on Google to indicate Napolitano said there was no misspelling. I hear on NPR exactly what I quoted from CNN, this morning, but I couldn't find it on NPR's website. I can't find any link where she said that there was no misspelling. It has been said he was not on the no-fly list. If you can show me a quote, not a report that says "Janet Napolitano says there was no misspelling", I'll buy it.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
My American born, Jewish uncle has a mail order bride who is younger than me (and I'm only 25 - he's in his mid-50s). Yes, to that extent. The way he treats her (and is accepted by the mail-order bride community) is horrific to me. No outright abuse, but extreme control over her life and that was specifically why he decided to find a much younger partner from an Asian country (following stereotypes of course). Several of our more conservative Catholic posters also expound similar views - though in their case, they EXPECT and DEMAND that the woman stay at home working far more than 80 hours a week taking care of the children. It's unusual for the man to demand that his wife work while he stays at home - even, perhaps, more unusual for someone from a Muslim background.
Well, you know what's going on in your uncle's home. However, most men in the US, even the conservative ones who don't want their wives to work, etc, are not as oppressive as it seems that Tamerlan Tsarnaev was. This issue of her working 80 hrs a week while he stayed home is very counter to that. As a home health aid, she had to drive a car to go to different clients' houses; she could be out and totally unaccounted for.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:12 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,127,009 times
Quote:
Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies