Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 05:24 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The freedom to hire anyone, anytime without all the red tape.

The freedom to be hired by anyone, anytime, without all the red tape.
Translation: I can't discriminate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 05:27 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You do realize Watergate was 40 years ago, right?
Did emails exist 40 years ago?

Just recently the IRS claimed they have permission to read emails without a warrant.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:29 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Wrong.

The freedom to hire someone on the spot to work for you without all of the red tape that's required today.

I actually break the law by having my lawn cut by a neighbor and paying him under the table.

That's lack of freedom.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:31 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Did emails exist 40 years ago?

Just recently the IRS claimed they have permission to read emails without a warrant.
I'm not sure I understand your point.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:31 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
By the way....you should have the freedom to hire who you want to hire, and the freedom to NOT hire who you don't want to hire.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:41 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
RE Roadkings post:
I'm sure glad I have the freedom to not put up with smoking so that one is a wash. Actually, it isn't so much a loss of freedom but a correction. Once again, it was us (human beings) who abused that and demanded a fix. Rightly so.

The seatbelt thing should be a no brainer too, so I see it less as a "freedom" and more of an intelligence issue.

Most of the other stuff is hyperbole unless you routinely have the SWAT team swarming you.
Your ignorance is obvious. None of the other stuff is hyperbole. Just do a little research and pray that you aren't one of the unfortunate souls who has their life ruined by a runaway SWAT.

I guess you have no problem with government taking away your freedom as long as it's something you didn't like or do anyway.

I suspect you are a Big Government advocate and enjoy the nanny state. You have no problem with Big Government telling you how to live your life or how to run your business.

That's OK. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:42 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
By the way....you should have the freedom to hire who you want to hire, and the freedom to NOT hire who you don't want to hire.
If you are the owner of your own company I may agree, but if your working of XYZ corporation and are hiring for the Corp...then you dont have that right. XYZ doesn't want you bringing your personal hang ups to work. If you cant stand women or blacks or old folk or gays or the disabled...XYZ doesn't want to hear about your right to dicriminate.

If that constricts your "freedoms" then you do have the right to start your own business and "choose" whom you wish to work for you...

Old 04-16-2013, 05:43 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm not sure I understand your point.
One might consider emails very similar to a letter and they cant read letters without a warrant, but now claiming they can read emails. (and since the laws havent caught up with technology, legally they will probably be correct)

But that doesnt mean that they arent invading ones privacy, and privacy is very much a freedom which should be recognized and respected.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:46 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I am not entirely unsympathetic to him on the seat belt issue. While I agree with mandatory seat belt laws for minors, my experience with bicycle helmet nannies has turned me off a bit to mandating that grown adults take all these safety precautions. I wear my bike helmet the vast majority of the time, but there are times I ride without it. There is a movement across the globe to mandate wearing them. I think as a grown man, I can make that decision myself. While I agree that the intelligent thing to do is wear your seatbelt, I am a bit troubled if we go down this path of mandating things to avoid perceived externalities. I don't see how you avoid mandating particular foods and prohibiting dangerous pastimes once you initiate this. I don't know that this is the type of society I want.
The thread is about FREEDOM. Not about which government regulations are good and which ones are bad.

There is no doubt that seat belt laws take away freedom. The government is taking away my choices. They not only choose that I must wear a seat belt, they also choose what type of seat belt I must wear. That is clearly a loss of freedom.

That same mentality has lead to more and more government control of our lives. Another example is outlawing flavored cigarettes (other than menthol. The government has take away my freedom to choose what flavor cigarettes I smoke (I'm not a smoker, BTW). That clearly is a loss of freedom.

The list is endless.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:47 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Yes, if you own the pond or lake, at least in the state in which I grew up. However, people do not own rivers so regardless if your property borders the river, you may not fish any time you want.

Guess you didn't know. The federal government owns all water in the nation.
They can and will tell you exactly what you can and can't do with ponds of water on your property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies