Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:01 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Except that your "freedom" to discriminate in hiring infringes upon other people's freedom to make a living.

Your freedom to wave your arms wildly stops at my nose.

Much of what I read here is considering behaviors that impact other people as your freedom. Your freedom to throw your garbage into the street impinges upon my right to have a clean vermin-free street. Your freedom to pollute ends with all the people who need to drink and breathe clean water and air, respectively.
This is pretty much what it comes down to.

People arguing for the freedom to be a-holes to the public at large. They want to be able to discriminate, ruin other people's property, pollute the earth (ruining it for others). What it comes down to is what 'freedoms' are worth saving and what 'freedoms' actually harm other people?

Is your 'freedom' to pollute water sources more important than others freedom to have clean water? Is your freedom to smoke more important than my freedom to breath clean air? (and FYI, this is coming from someone who smokes here and there and has no qualms whatsoever about removing myself from the public to do so and I would NEVER smoke inside, even if it was acceptable...it's called not being a jerk) Is your freedom to build a monstrosity of a shed on your property more important than the views *I* paid for on my property?

Maybe if people had a less myopic view of the world past their noses they could see why some laws are necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 07:04 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInTheCan View Post
How about the freedom to travel the country without having my Daughter's naked body gawked at by some fly by night security guard- I mean TSA agent?

How about the freedom to walk the streets of NEw York with having to worry about having an NYPD pat me down without probable cause?

How about the freedom buy a 32 oz soda? Even though I watch my health and would not buy one.

How about the freedom to go to a voting booth without an acorn member wielding baseball bats near the voting booth?
1) I am sure your daughter's naked body is something to gawk at but there is no requirement to strip naked for the TSA.

2) NYPD does have stop and frisk but it is in limited use.

3) the soda size ban was stopped by a judge.

4) Acorn doesn't exist and when they did they registered people to vote and didn't carry bats.

When posting, one should at least pretend to understand the facts.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:04 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInTheCan View Post
How about the freedom to travel the country without having my Daughter's naked body gawked at by some fly by night security guard- I mean TSA agent?

How about the freedom to walk the streets of NEw York with having to worry about having an NYPD pat me down without probable cause?

How about the freedom buy a 32 oz soda? Even though I watch my health and would not buy one.

How about the freedom to go to a voting booth without an acorn member wielding baseball bats near the voting booth?
This is the only actual freedom encroached on in this entire thread. The stop and frisk they do of mostly black and hispanic men. Yet some in here that complain about not being able to discriminate would support the violation of this right.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:05 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
The freedom to secure my own food (fishing) without a government permit.
Really? You imagine that Ohio didn't require fishing licenses in 1973?

The Bryan Times - Google News Archive Search

Old 04-16-2013, 07:09 AM

105 posts, read 84,529 times
Quote:
1) I am sure your daughter's naked body is something to gawk at but there is no requirement to strip naked for the TSA. - Hey Now! - I am talking about the body scanners. Which I hear they may phase out but after yesterday I doubt it.

2) NYPD does have stop and frisk but it is in limited use.- Should not be in use at all.

3) the soda size ban was stopped by a judge. - but bloomberg will get it back most likely.
4) Acorn doesn't exist and when they did they registered people to vote and didn't carry bats. -I probably exxagerated here but stories people stalking voting locations with baseball bats are not unfounded
When posting, one should at least pretend to understand the facts. I understand the facts clearly.
Furthermore, I agree with the bans on smoking and other "freedoms" that affect other people. No one has a right to pollute the air. We all have a right to clean air though.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:15 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
For the math-challenged:

If you are responding to this thread you know that it is asking you to contrast the state of freedom you have now with the freedom you had forty years ago.

To save you the trouble of taking off your shoes and socks, I'll do the math for you. Forty years ago was 1973. In 1973 we did not have cellular phones or personal computers. We did have the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act, the EPA, and speed radar on police cars.

Thanks. Feel free to resume ranting.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:16 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Really? You imagine that Ohio didn't require fishing licenses in 1973?

The Bryan Times - Google News Archive Search

Realy? You imagine I specifically mentioned Ohio?

Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
As I said before, there has been no real change for me.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:20 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,553 times
Quote:
Except that your "freedom" to discriminate in hiring infringes upon other people's freedom to make a living.

No it doesn't

Your freedom to wave your arms wildly stops at my nose.

I would say it ends at someone's personal space. Which is further out than one's nose.

Much of what I read here is considering behaviors that impact other people as your freedom. Your freedom to throw your garbage into the street impinges upon my right to have a clean vermin-free street. Your freedom to pollute ends with all the people who need to drink and breathe clean water and air, respectively.
Throwing trash onto property that does not belong to you is not freedom. Never has been. Nice made-up argument though.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:21 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
For the math-challenged:

If you are responding to this thread you know that it is asking you to contrast the state of freedom you have now with the freedom you had forty years ago.

To save you the trouble of taking off your shoes and socks, I'll do the math for you. Forty years ago was 1973. In 1973 we did not have cellular phones or personal computers. We did have the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act, the EPA, and speed radar on police cars.

Thanks. Feel free to resume ranting.

And again for the math-challenged, since presumably one would only be qualified to express an opinion on the subject unless one actually had experienced life in 1973 America as an adult, anyone qualified to express an opinion on the subject was born no later than 1955 (which makes them 58 or older, for those without a calculator handy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies