Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:47 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Nobody has established that people are jealous of successful people. This is a loaded question, which has a false premise and only is used as a rhetorical tool to serve the OP's agenda.

In reality, not many if any are jealous of successful people. They just want them to pay higher taxes.

Why? And how does demanding higher taxes on everyday people benefit you?

If someone pays $150k in taxes and you pay $5k they do pay more in taxes. It is jealously toward the truly rich but attacking people who make a higher income. Big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 09:54 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yea I get what you are saying. I don't think Obama supporters realize that when Obama campaigned on taxing the rich he was not attacking Jaimie Dimon or George Soros. They are the truly rich but instead Obama's campaign was against people who were working for an income of $200K / $250K. Yea, that is alot of money but that is not Dimon or Soros rich.

Obama went after increasing taxes on income and the rich will adapt and reduce taxable income. Obama knows this and everytime we hear Obama say increase taxes he is selling out everyday people just trying to make it. He didn't sell out the Jaimie Dimon's or George Soros's of the country.
Actually, Obama was pushing the Buffett Rule, that would apply a minimum tax rate of 30 percent on individuals making more than a million dollars a year. That would cover your Jaimie Dimons and George Soros'. However, he couldn't get the GOP House to pass such a plan.

The rise in ordinary income rates was the result of that part of the Bush-tax-cuts expiring.

Your assertion that "increasing taxes on income and the rich will adapt and reduce taxable income" makes no sense. If rates are moving from 35% to 40% that means one get to take home 60% instead of 65%. If I make a marginal million dollars, I used to keep $650,000. Under the new tax, I get to keep $600,000. I am not going to drive my income down just to lower my taxes. (The counter-argument is that I'll work harder to maintain my previous after-tax income.)

In my example, lets say this person lowered their income to $900,000. Yes, they would pay fewer taxes but only end up with $540,000.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Jealousy is a negative, regressive state of mind.

The jealous thought is “I want what you have, and thus until I have it, you shouldn’t have it either.”

Why are people so jealous of successful people? Especially people who don't want to do what it takes to become successful.
I don't think a lot of people envy successful people. I think they envy lucky people who haven't worked any harder than they have but who have managed to walk between the raindrops.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Actually, Obama was pushing the Buffett Rule, that would apply a minimum tax rate of 30 percent on individuals making more than a million dollars a year. That would cover your Jaimie Dimons and George Soros'.
And Obama and liberals was pushing higher taxes on $200k (singles) and called them the rich and liberals and dems attacked them as if they were the George Soros's of the country. You obviously don't get that yes, the rich DO reduce "taxable" income.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't think a lot of people envy successful people. I think they envy lucky people who haven't worked any harder than they have but who have managed to walk between the raindrops.
Lucky? So you think they got where they are because they were lucky. To say they were lucky is to say they didn't do anything different than you and they got lucky and a bunch of money fell in their laps?

They worked smarter maybe with some luck, but yes, they think and work smarter. Obviously an income at $200k is not working smart enough though because they became targets of Obama's tax the rich rhetoric and the truly rich were not hurt.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Lucky? So you think they got where they are because they were lucky. They didn't do anything different than you and they got lucky and a lap full of money fell in their laps?

They worked smarter maybe with some luck, but yes, they think and work smarter. Obviously an income at $200k is not working smart enough though because they became targets of Obama's tax the rich rhetoric and the truly rich were not hurt.
I'm not going to make this about politics or taxes.

You can only bootstrap yourself so far. At some point, luck plays a part. For some, it plays a very big part.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:04 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
And Obama and liberals was pushing higher taxes on $200k (singles) and called them the rich and liberals and dems attacked them as if they were the George Soros's of the country. You obviously don't get that yes, the rich DO reduce "taxable" income.
If the rich DO reduce taxable income, provide examples and evidence.

As for what number defines "rich," that's a person answer -- everyone has their own ideas. The point is that that $200,000 cutoff was where the marginal rate began. They would pay the lower marginal rate up to that point and each dollar above is taxed at the higher rate. I really don't think that's unfair. If you are single earning $200,000 a year, you can afford to pay a higher rate on that next dollar and above.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm not going to make this about politics or taxes.

You can only bootstrap yourself so far. At some point, luck plays a part. For some, it plays a very big part.
With your attitude so called luck will never come your way. The only chance you have getting rich is to play the lottery.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
If the rich DO reduce taxable income, provide examples and evidence.

As for what number defines "rich," that's a person answer -- everyone has their own ideas. The point is that that $200,000 cutoff was where the marginal rate began. They would pay the lower marginal rate up to that point and each dollar above is taxed at the higher rate. I really don't think that's unfair. If you are single earning $200,000 a year, you can afford to pay a higher rate on that next dollar and above.
Even below $200k these people pay higher taxes because the tax code is progressive. Of course when you are poor and don't have a clue to the true definition of rich then it is easy to see $200k of income as rich. To some people, someone making $100k can afford to live above a welfare lifestyle so some people consider them rich and may be next on the tax the rich " I want more tax revenue" campaign.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
With your attitude so called luck will never come your way. The only chance you have getting rich is to play the lottery.
Who said I wanted to be rich? I make a hair under $100k a year and I have no children, so that money is all for me. I'm comfortable enough. If I wanted to make more I'd have to move up the ladder and I don't want to do that. I'd rather have a life.

Thanks for not keeping it civil when I did, though. Appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies