Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 09:00 AM

1,127 posts, read 903,620 times

Advertisements

Obama Refusing to Send WH Delegation to Thatcher's Funeral

Why should I, as an American care about the funeral of a former British Prime Minister???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 09:05 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
Obama Refusing to Send WH Delegation to Thatcher's Funeral

Why should I, as an American care about the funeral of a former British Prime Minister???
I'm still trying to figure that out.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:06 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
But he tried. Oh, but he tried.
He did indeed.

A pale imitation though of the Iron Lady. I loathed that woman with a passion but I shall give her her dues, she was a formidable Politician and iron willed. Bliar was more aluminium/plastocene man than anything else.

I would protest a ceremonial funeral for him just as much as for Mrs T. The most Thatcherite of all Labour politicians possibly. A loathsome worm. Just to show I value some Left wing politicians as much as right wing ones. I do not discriminate when it comes to monsters. Whatever end of the political spectrum destructive is destructive... As for Cameon who believes himself the Heir to Thatcher and Churchill , he is more Bliar lite than anything else. Shallow and style over substance. He is my local MP and I have deal with him personally many times. He worked very hard as an MP, I will give him his dues, is presentable and affable until you realise his method of governance is knee jerk reactions, quick disastrous decisions followed by even quicket turnabouts....

A man with delusions of grandeur IMO. Very lightweight intellectually and politically despite a successful Oxford PPE degree. And extremely poor taste in advisers and don't get me started on our dear Chancellor, Gideon Osborne a man of few talents and even less personality. Making Norman Lamont look like a great Chancellor is no mean task but Gideon has managed it with ease.... He has about as much clue about the economy as the average beautician.

If I sound disenchanted and rather disgusted by both sides it is because I am. Bitter ? Moi ? Well yes I am ....

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 04-17-2013 at 09:42 AM..

Old 04-17-2013, 09:08 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,348 times
Quote:
Should you? I can see no reason why you should. She played an important role in the history of the world in the later 20th century, and particularly within the English-speaking world, her politics have had an enormous role in shaping the politics of the political right: in effect, modern "conservatism" in almost all major English-speaking countries is Thatcherite laissez-faire liberalism.

Many Americans take an interest in history, in the evolution of political ideology, and in the affairs of countries beyond our own shores. But nothing whatsoever says one ought to do so.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Should you? I can see no reason why you should. She played an important role in the history of the world in the later 20th century, and particularly within the English-speaking world, her politics have had an enormous role in shaping the politics of the political right: in effect, modern "conservatism" in almost all major English-speaking countries is Thatcherite laissez-faire liberalism.

Many Americans take an interest in history, in the evolution of political ideology, and in the affairs of countries beyond our own shores. But nothing whatsoever says one ought to do so.
Knowing about her legacy is not the same as her funeral.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:14 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Regardless of how you might feel about her and her policies or I might feel, not sending a White House rep is a slap in the face and the Brits have every right to be pissed. To me, this a disgrace, a political blunder and some of those posting here, today are showing how hateful they can be toward anyone they do not agree with. How many have heard the word "class"?
The United States is sending several dignitaries. The Brits aren't pissed. This isn't a political blunder. Mrs Thatcher wasn't Winston Churchill, and this isn't a state funeral.

As for "class", perhaps Bush, Sr, who actually worked with her, who actually shared much of her political perspective, should have attended the funeral. But he declined the invitation.

Maybe all of you rushing to judge Obama should think a little more about this.

Margaret Thatcher has been out of the political landscape in England for quite some time. She is not a head of state, nor does she merit a state funeral. The United States is sending a delegation of statesmen from her era who were her contemporaries. And that is not a slap in the face.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
A pale imitation though of the Iron Lady.
Exactly what the Rt. Hon. Anthony Blair, PC is - a pale imitation of the Iron Lady, and I expect history to remember him as such.

Quote:
I loathed that woman with a passion but I shall give her her dues, she was a formidable Politician and iron willed.
Very close to my own feelings for her: I acknowledge that her country was in a dreadful state when she came to power in 1979, and if it hadn't been her, it would have absolutely had to be something else, possibly even something worse. I hated her for her arrogance, particularly late in her tenure, with the introduction of the Poll Tax and other particularly cruel and callous measures. But I had and have great respect for her tenacity, her will, her daring and her independence of mind.

Quote:
I would protest a ceremonial funeral for him just as much as for Mrs T.
I really hope this is one-off, and the British don't fall into a habit of awarding a state funeral to every PM who manages to win a couple of general elections. Apart from any of their other sins, both Thatcher and Blair skewed the premiership into something which looked dangerously presidential. Politicians need to be reminded that they are merely tradesmen, and shown to the rear entrance.

Quote:
Gideon Osborne a man of few talents and even less personality. Making Norman Lamont look like a grea Chancellor is no mean task but Gideon has managed it with ease....
LOL.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The United States is sending several dignitaries. The Brits aren't pissed. This isn't a political blunder. Mrs Thatcher wasn't Winston Churchill, and this isn't a state funeral.

As for "class", perhaps Bush, Sr, who actually worked with her, who actually shared much of her political perspective, should have attended the funeral. But he declined the invitation.

Maybe all of you rushing to judge Obama should think a little more about this.

Margaret Thatcher has been out of the political landscape in England for quite some time. She is not a head of state, nor does she merit a state funeral. The United States is sending a delegation of statesmen from her era who were her contemporaries. And that is not a slap in the face.
When the story first broke, it was very different than now. Yes, they are sending representation, which is wonderful. As for Bush Sr. his health would not allow him to travel that far, otherwise my guess is: he certainly would have been there.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Knowing about her legacy is not the same as her funeral.
Certainly not, of course. Though it's only natural that someone who takes an interest in her legacy would also take at least a passing interest in her funeral. But again, I'm not saying anyone, British or American, ought to do so.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Certainly not, of course. Though it's only natural that someone who takes an interest in her legacy would also take at least a passing interest in her funeral. But again, I'm not saying anyone, British or American, ought to do so.
I take in an interest in the life of MLK, yet I know nothing nor have an interest in his funeral ritual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies