Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 01:44 PM

977 posts, read 763,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Haha, dude I could care less about a funeral overseas & whether someone from our government attended it or not. You however have got your knickers in an odd twist over it. It's actually pretty funny.

Why would I put my fingers in my ear? I can't actually hear you screeching, I can just imagine it though. Poor thing.
Then hell dude. What are you chirpin' at me about? If you don't like my posts, move on kid. It's a forum. People post here. People have opinions. Obviously you get highly upset at posts you dislike. Poor thang. Deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 01:48 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
Sadly for the nation, Obama wants what he wants
Took away the other words of your post so then the other readers don't misunderstand my response.

It sure looks like that on many occasions especially when he bypasses congress when they're supposed to be involved and does things on his own via executive order.

Why even have a congress then, correct?

Old 04-17-2013, 01:49 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Sadly for the nation, Obama is an ideologue who first and foremost wants what he wants.........then maybe what the people want or need.
Well, he is going to be your president for the next three years and nine months (approximately).

All the butt hurt and poutrage in the world isn't going to change that.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:52 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Moooshelle attended the funeral because it was good politics for the gun grabbers. That was 'worthy' of a visit from the First Lady but Thatcher's funeral is not.

"Carefully selected delegation"? By who? Reagan's ghost? Schultz and Baker will be representing Reagan. Not Obama. And you and I and everyone else knows it no matter what you say.

The PM makes the decisions and you know that also. Now if you care to show me otherwise fine.
Carefully selected by the White House. Since President Reagan and Mrs. Thatcher were political allies, it is both appropriate and right that Reagan-era diplomats represent the United States at this funeral. They KNEW her. They worked with her. Why would strangers who never knew Mrs Thatcher be more appropriate then people who knew and respected her?

And Mrs Thatcher's funeral is not a state funeral. She may have wanted a big splash, and she certainly got one, but she is not Winston Churchill, and her legacy in Britain is quite divisive. Why should a US First Lady attend Mrs Thatcher's funeral? Mrs Reagan was invited, but her health prevents her from attending. But the Reagan family is sending a representative, as is appropriate.

Who attended Sir Anthony Eden's funeral? He, at least, was Churchill's chosen heir to political power. Who attended "Supermac" MacMillan's funeral? Or Edward Heath's? Callaghan's? All these were modern era Prime Ministers of Great Britain. None of them were considered heads of state. None of them had state funerals. What makes Margaret Thatcher different? Because Meryl Streep starred in a movie about her?

Mrs Thatcher was a remarkable woman, who changed the Conservative Party in England. She changed history. And for that she merits our respect. The United States has shown that respect, in the size of the delegation, and in the careful selection of the members of that delegation, people who personally knew her and worked with her.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Well, he is going to be your president for the next three years and nine months (approximately).

All the butt hurt and poutrage in the world isn't going to change that.
Another dodge.
I survived Carter. I'll be fine. Stay brainwashed junior. Libs like 'em stupid and pliable.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:54 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,117,473 times
Quote:
I always get a kick out of the posters who insult you and then put a smile on the end of it. Not unlike the POTUS who is as equally duplicitous.
Agreed. If that were my post. I absolutely would have omitted the smiley.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:56 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I wonder what the odds are that Cheney will be arrested for war crimes while in Europe?
Probably about as much as Obama actually missing a basketball game to do some work.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Carefully selected by the White House. Since President Reagan and Mrs. Thatcher were political allies, it is both appropriate and right that Reagan-era diplomats represent the United States at this funeral. They KNEW her. They worked with her. Why would strangers who never knew Mrs Thatcher be more appropriate then people who knew and respected her?

And Mrs Thatcher's funeral is not a state funeral. She may have wanted a big splash, and she certainly got one, but she is not Winston Churchill, and her legacy in Britain is quite divisive. Why should a US First Lady attend Mrs Thatcher's funeral? Mrs Reagan was invited, but her health prevents her from attending. But the Reagan family is sending a representative, as is appropriate.

Who attended Sir Anthony Eden's funeral? He, at least, was Churchill's chosen heir to political power. Who attended "Supermac" MacMillan's funeral? Or Edward Heath's? Callaghan's? All these were modern era Prime Ministers of Great Britain. None of them were considered heads of state. None of them had state funerals. What makes Margaret Thatcher different? Because Meryl Streep starred in a movie about her?

Mrs Thatcher was a remarkable woman, who changed the Conservative Party in England. She changed history. And for that she merits our respect. The United States has shown that respect, in the size of the delegation, and in the careful selection of the members of that delegation, people who personally knew her and worked with her.
Why divert from the topic? It is about Obama sending a delegation. Obama is sending no one no matter how you frame it. Now he can put his name on it but that is only for appearances. Obama tends to do many things for the sake of appearances.

Like I said. The shooting victim made for a good photo-op for gun grabbers. No upside to sending Moooshelle to Thatcher's funeral though. The Obama's knew as much about that girl as they knew about Thatcher. The difference is obvious as to why one was more important than the other.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Agreed. If that were my post. I absolutely would have omitted the smiley.
At least that would have more integrity in spite of the ridiculous source. Like this one.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:02 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,445 times
Quote:
The damn Vacationer-In-Chief can't attend the funeral of a former head of state?
Once again, not for the sake of this poster, who is obviously incorrigible, but in order to keep the record straight: Margaret, Lady Thatcher was not head of state of the United Kingdom.

The Head of State of the United Kingdom is a decent old lady called Brenda. She's a mighty fine girl, a good sheila, and she's Head of State. The clue is in the name: Queen Elizabeth II. Not the name of a long-gone rock band. Not her given name. It's a title: because? She's Head of State, that's why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies