Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 06:21 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,196,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
She is an anachronism of a horrid, hateful and intolerant past. Good riddance.

Thatcher SAVED Great Britain from the unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 06:21 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,733,143 times
Yeah, there is already a thread.....with over 100 posts:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...thatchers.html

Old 04-16-2013, 06:22 PM

73,259 posts, read 63,171,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
As usual the A-Hole white house administration will be insulting the American public by not having any official Americans representing us attending the funeral.
How is not going to Thatcher's funeral an insult?

Old 04-16-2013, 06:25 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,239,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Maybe it's just me - but your vindictive comments do not seem to go with your current status about loving one another.

Could just be me.
Not being vindictive, but he wastes taxpayer money on non-essential travel (too many vacations) and going overboard with them in my view.

He doesn't love us now does he? In fact he doesn't seem to care about the American people and I know I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Sequester for everyone else but him - doesn't "jive" to me.

I would have something to say about every president in my lifetime, but Obama is the current president so it's his turn.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,074,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
How is not going to Thatcher's funeral an insult?
It is in a way because Great Britain has Always been US's strongest ally because of our common history.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:52 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,592,639 times
The OP is misinformed. The United States will be represented by two former secretaries of State, the recently-departed American ambassador to the Court of St. James, and the current charge d'affaires.

This seems entirely correct and in accord with usual protocol; Baroness Thatcher was merely a former head of government, not a head of state (though occasionally she seemed to forget the fact)

Old 04-16-2013, 06:58 PM

3,600 posts, read 6,805,098 times
If tony Blair dies. U bet one us head of state or former us head of state will attend.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Thatcher was British, was a British Prime Minister, and died in Britain, so I don't see why an American presence should be customary or expected.
Of course an official American presence is customary and expected at such occasions, which is why we have embassies: to represent us. In this case, because there is currently no accredited ambassador to the Court of St. James, his deputy, the charge d'affaires, will represent the United States.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Margaret Thatcher was never head of state. The head of state in the UK is the Queen. The Prime Minister is the head of government.

In the US, the same person is head of government and head of state (POTUS).
Yes, exactly. This entire thread (and several others which duplicate it) is based on nothing more than American ignorance of one of the basic facts of the British constitution.

It's not President Thatcher's funeral!

Old 04-16-2013, 07:05 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,335,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
So you're crying nobody is going, if BO went people would complain he's wasting tax payers money.

Besides, why would you want to go to a witches funeral ?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
you are completely off base: there would be absolutely not one person that would say he is wasting money if he or a representative went to England for the service. You can call her what you want, how many times was she elected? Obviously the majority of those in UK did not agree with you. The word in respect and what is expected: the UK has a right to be pissed if someone from the Whitehouse does not represent our country at the service. How much do you know about what she did, if nothing else for the advancement of women? She proved to the world women were capable of running a country...If for no other reason, she should earn some respect from women throughout the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies