Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 09:22 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times

Advertisements

Send me...I will pretend to be an American - if no one wants to go - may as well send a surrogate of some sort...cheap hotel...will be fine...just get me a nice CONSERVATIVE grey single breasted suit and a nice silk tie- a blue one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 09:25 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,138,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Heck, send Mooochelle. She's always chomping at the bit for a free vacation on the taxpayers dime. She could also "hug the Queen" and make all kinds of other "I'm a ghetto girl" social faux pas.
Damn, I like the way you think. I've got to rep that one.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Not attending shows the little class the left has in comparison to the conservative right.
Did Bush show up at the 2005 funeral of former PM Lord Callaghan? Of course he didn't. Not that one American in ten would know who Lord Callaghan was.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:53 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Send me...I will pretend to be an American - if no one wants to go - may as well send a surrogate of some sort...cheap hotel...will be fine...just get me a nice CONSERVATIVE grey single breasted suit and a nice silk tie- a blue one.
If only somebody had thought to send some sort of semi-permanent representative, an ambassador of sorts, perhaps.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:01 PM

7,149 posts, read 4,743,435 times
People there are sicko if they're really going to do this (from the article). Wonder if the "bad attitude" has something to do with Obama not wanting to send anyone. Gotta keep up being on the side of the radicals.

From the original posted article:

Quote:
[SIZE=6]Last night police in London were under pressure to crack down on plans to insult the memory of Lady Thatcher at the funeral.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=6]Hundreds of protesters have pledged to turn their backs as her coffin travels through Central London.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=6]Campaigners said Scotland Yard had effectively encouraged the move by decreeing it is not against the law and will not provoke arrests.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=6]The insult is calculated to cause maximum embarrassment to her grieving family without provoking action by police.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=6]It will be seen by millions worldwide as the occasion is beamed live around the world on TV.[/SIZE]

Read more: Margaret Thatcher funeral: President Obama won't send envoy - and leaves it to her old allies from Reagan era | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Old 04-16-2013, 10:37 PM

26,582 posts, read 14,454,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Did Bush show up at the 2005 funeral of former PM Lord Callaghan?
i'm having trouble finding any reference of a US representative at callagan's funeral.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:48 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,992,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Margaret Thatcher was never head of state. The head of state in the UK is the Queen. The Prime Minister is the head of government.

In the US, the same person is head of government and head of state (POTUS).
It should also be pointed out that the British Prime Minister is always addressed as the Head of Her (or His) Majesties Government and is technically invited by Her or His Majesty to form Her or His Government. British Prime Ministers are not popularly elected to the position of Prime Minister! Now a Queen or King always invites the leader of party with the largest block of seats in the new Parliment to try and for the New Government. If his party has a majority this is not too difficult. If he doesn't have a majority he either forms a coalition government like Britain has now or trys to get along with a minority government and rely on the goodwill of the opposition parties.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:51 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And I bet a good number of them are.

One of the expressions of the sentiment towards Thatcher from the Britons is rather amusing: Her funeral should be privatized. Let private companies bid for it, and the lowest bidder gets to be the winner.
Brilliant! How fitting for the architect of privitisation

Old 04-16-2013, 10:52 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,992,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Did Bush show up at the 2005 funeral of former PM Lord Callaghan? Of course he didn't. Not that one American in ten would know who Lord Callaghan was.

You found the one in ten. Lord Callahan is Sunny Jim Callahan. The man who Margret Thatch beat in 1979 and ended his run as a Labour PM.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Preposterous nonsense. Of course the U.K. has a constitution, as that very article you cite makes perfectly clear. Because a country does not possess a single governing instrument called by the name "constitution", to the untutored American eye it has no constitution at all. Ridiculous.
Republic | The British Constitution

We enjoy some features of a democracy, but our constitution is profoundly undemocratic. It is "not worth the paper it's not written on" according to one MP. Professor Stephen Haseler once described it as "whatever the government wants it to be".

The British constitution is unwritten or, to be more precise, 'uncodified'. This means that, unlike in most modern democracies, there is no single document which explains how we are governed.

The British Constitution
The British Constitution is unwritten in one single document, unlike the constitution in America or the proposed European Constitution, and as such, is referred to as an uncodified constitution in the sense that there is no single document that can be classed as Britain's constitution.

Tell me again why you referred to "THE British constitution"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies