Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 10:20 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Erm, what? I have no hatred for gun ownership, and in fact, used to own several guns, but got rid of them when I got married because my (then) wife had children, and neither of us wanted the guns in the house. So your false assumption is duly noted.

No, guns are not protected under the 2nd amendment. A gun is not a person and has no rights. A citizen's right to keep and bear arms is protected. The 2nd amendment also mandates the government to regulate that right. There is nothing contorted about these facts.
There you go again. Of course the 2nd Amendment protects the right to keep and bear arms. Which is a defacto protection of guns themselves. Mental gymnastics and ideological contortionism discredits your own notions and you don't even realize it. Trust me, you're not the first, nor will you be the last, liberal to use these tactics to try to weasel your way out of defending your own failed ideology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 10:24 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Under your theory crime would then increase in areas with little gun control, which isn't the case. And crime has drastically reduced in the last 20 years.

Here is a little coralation for you, maybe you should be banning democrats.
Your graph is a graph of the violent crime rate (i.e., rape is a violent crime and doesn't require a gun), not gun-related death rate. Try again.

As for your claim "According to statistics - More Legally owned guns - less crime", the problem with that claim is that the cities and states that have the most guns (legally owned or not) also have the highest gun crime rates. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Chicago, Illinois.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:25 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
It's like a creepy kid who sets fire to the old school house. You don't ban matches...you concentrate on the thing that detonates the match by striking it...You focus on the creepy kid....going after the object will never ensure that the object will cease to be dangerous- People bring about evil...not a match or a gun or a bomb. Time to stop looking for easy solutions. Go for the root and life of the problem...forget wild goose chases like going to Iraq when Saudi Nationals committed the crime financed by Saudi money....hope you see the parallel. One must go to the source...the person - If someone was to hire a person to kill one of my loved ones I would not bother with the trigger man- I would go to the source and deal with the person who made it happen...

Old 04-17-2013, 10:27 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
It's like a creepy kid who sets fire to the old school house. You don't ban matches...you concentrate on the thing that detonates the match by striking it...You focus on the creepy kid....going after the object will never ensure that the object will cease to be dangerous- People bring about evil...not a match or a gun or a bomb. Time to stop looking for easy solutions. Go for the root and life of the problem...forget wild goose chases like going to Iraq when Saudi Nationals committed the crime financed by Saudi money....hope you see the parallel. One must go to the source...the person - If someone was to hire a person to kill one of my loved ones I would not bother with the trigger man- I would go to the source and deal with the person who made it happen...
Reasoning that not a single liberal on this thread can comprehend!

Old 04-17-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Still the US remains 104th on a list of countries in which you are likely to be murdered.
I don't know where you got that statistic, but the facts can be found below.

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At that link there is a list of 75 countries for which gun-related death statistics are compiled. The country with the best record (least number of such deaths) is Japan. The U.S. is 57th out of 75, right up there with Brazil, Peru, Columbia, and Serbia.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:32 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Just to make it clear...I was talking about how America handled 9 11 - All the clues led to Saudi Arabia- yet no one had the guts to deal with reality. I just hope America is less delusional and self serving this time. Be serious and go for the throat this time...forget the politics and personal gain and reputation. You are a huge and powerful nation - You don't have to put up with this crap. Find them and find them fast...Not like Bin Laden who was harbored by Pakistan while you sent his protector aid...Pakistan always knew where he was...so did American intelligence- No more cloak and dagger BS....The nation can no longer be made dupe. The Boston bomber is out there...pick the bastard up.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If a group of terrorists want to bring widespread havoc to this country, in a night or 2, this country has been setting the stage for this for decades in the way we build things in this country in the form of wooden construction!

A night with some strong winds, a Molotov cocktail thrown here, a Molotov cocktail thrown there and poof!!!

Let's not forget the Great Fire of 1871 in Chicago that all but decimated the city!
Erm, Chicago in 1871 didn't have high pressure fire hydrants on every block. Nor did it have thousands of highly trained firemen and thousands of pieces of highly effective fire equipment available to them.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97701 View Post
If gun control is nonsense, then why don't we allow nukes to be sold at Wal-Mart?
Indeed. A lot of these anti-gun control types do seem to have that North Korea-type anger management issue about them. I wonder why that is?

Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Repeating a claim without citing a source doesn't strengthen your argument.

Most recent? Didn't you say that 1997 was the last year for which data was available. And if that is the case, could you tell us why this would be the case? I mean, if so many children die every year from pool drownings, one would think someone would be compiling yearly statistics on the issue. Someone would be insisting that changes be made to make pools more safe (now there's a concept, eh?).

Your statistics are outdated. Doing the math, are you honestly going to tell us that even one children killed by a gun is acceptable?

The fact is that pools aren't designed to kill. Guns are.
It is an old article but it still rings true. Unless you believe in the last 10 years drownings have decreased dramatically or deaths of children by guns has increased dramatically (which it hasn't).
Here is the source for you
Op-ed piece on swimming pools vs. guns as the most dangerous weapon – Deltoid

Freedom is acceptable and with freedom comes risks, welcome to America. The government is not the arbiter of what I should or should not do in my home.

“The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.”

Mein Kampf, Adolf Hitler, Publ. Houghton Miflin, 1943, Page 403

Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
The only answer to a bad guy with a nuke, is a GOOD guy with a nuke.
The problem with that argument is that the "good guys" with the nukes are the only ones who have murdered people with them. The only answer to nukes is to not have them, period. And the only way that is going to happen is for people to grow up and learn to resolve our differences without resorting to violence.

I find it interesting how many right wingers want us to go back to the Andy Griffith days without realizing that he didn't carry a gun (while his sidekick was completely incompetent with guns).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies