Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:15 AM

104 posts, read 82,985 times

Advertisements

Time in and time again we keep hearing about the horrible tragedies of plastic bags, such as the Valdez, Alaska incident in 1989 where millions of birds, walruses, and other animals were suffocated by them.

The consumer in me says that paying higher prices just to shop because of the increase in costs due to the bags is not worth it. However, the environmentalist in me tells me that if we can even save one seagull from suffocation, it would all be worth it. We are all on this planet together, it is time to start treating Earth the way Earth wants us to treat her, with respect.

Places like Aldi's have bags you can buy that are reusable and only cost 40 bucks per bag, a pretty cheap price compared to the steep price of killing off the entire population of our Earth's animal population to death.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
We did in Austin Tx. But you can "buy" a plastic bag at pretty much all the stores.

What they did was ban "free plastic bags", not plastic bags.
What did they really accomplish ?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:18 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
I'm not sure if downright banning can be a solution. Discouraging (and minimizing) use, however, is a different story. My weekly grocery rarely includes more than one plastic bag and that has been the case for a few years. And the one bag that comes home is primarily to wrap meat/seafood. Every vehicle in the household has 2-3 re-usable bags.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:19 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrunner88 View Post
Time in and time again we keep hearing about the horrible tragedies of plastic bags, such as the Valdez, Alaska incident in 1989 where millions of birds, walruses, and other animals were suffocated by them.

The consumer in me says that paying higher prices just to shop because of the increase in costs due to the bags is not worth it. However, the environmentalist in me tells me that if we can even save one seagull from suffocation, it would all be worth it. We are all on this planet together, it is time to start treating Earth the way Earth wants us to treat her, with respect.

Places like Aldi's have bags you can buy that are reusable and only cost 40 bucks per bag, a pretty cheap price compared to the steep price of killing off the entire population of our Earth's animal population to death.
Ya serious? The most questionable item here is the supposed $40 bag at Aldi's.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:31 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
49 bucks? You can't be serious! Our stores have really nice, sturdy bags for a dollar.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:31 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
We should not ban plastic bags. I always recycled mine, used them for trash bags and the like. Now I buy plastic for the garbage cans and to pick up dog poop. The only thing a ban did is make me buy plastic bags.

Btw, reusable grocery bags carry lots of germs and are causing people to get sick.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
49 bucks? You can't be serious! Our stores have really nice, sturdy bags for a dollar.
But it's an "Aldi's bag"

Are you aware that these new types of reusable bags with that strange type of material is the same material used for feed bags ?

Some folks are turning their empty feed bags into reusble bags and they look quite nice.
I just might get into that myself. The 50lb sacks make nice bags and that is true "reuse" isn't it ?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:34 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
We should not ban plastic bags. I always recycled mine, used them for trash bags and the like. Now I buy plastic for the garbage cans and to pick up dog poop. The only thing a ban did is make me buy plastic bags.

Btw, reusable grocery bags carry lots of germs and are causing people to get sick.
Yep.

Since I have to carry my groceries quite a distance, I always request plastic because plastic bags have handles. The grocery store I use has paper, but will use plastic upon request. Then the baggers have to go find them. I'll wait. I can't carry big, heavy paper bags without handles.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:36 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,000 times
I've been reading this forum for one day and it is telling-and pretty sad-that before I opened this thread I thought it was going to be another gun thread...

Anyway, I just moved to Philadelphia and a lot of places make you buy bags if you don't bring your own and they are paper instead of plastic.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:36 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

There's a new invention out. It's called soap and water. Perhaps you've heard of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies