Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:35 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So you are saying they weren't even in the park that night?

P.S. One was hispanic.
they were in the park and were part of a large group that did a number of assaults on other park visitors. the cops took in 5 of them and coerrced confesions for an unrelated rape/severe beating (that occurred in a different part of the park) out of them over many hours of interoggation that they later recanted. convictions were obtained largely based on these confessions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 11:36 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Correct. Their stroies did not corroborate, and that was the only "evidence".

The real rapist was the East St rapist and the NYPD & prosecutor's office has blood on their hands today, as their Barney Fife handling of this case allowed that rapist to stay free, and continue raping and murdering womne, after the Central Park crimes.
No question they got railroaded for the rape and I 100% agree with your blood on the hands comments.

What I'm trying to find out is if they were just randomly selected off the street the next day or out of a school yard or if they were part of the group roaming the park mugging people and so the police pinned the rape on them.

It's a simple question, it doesn't take away from the injustice done to them but everybody here seems to be uncomfortable answering the question. I ask this because the police frame-ups OFTEN use perps that aren't choir boys or are caught doing other stuff in the area....it's lazy police work and often their other actions make it easier for juries to help railroad them on the serious charges.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:43 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
No question they got railroaded for the rape and I 100% agree with your blood on the hands comments.

What I'm trying to find out is if they were just randomly selected off the street the next day or out of a school yard or if they were part of the group roaming the park mugging people and so the police pinned the rape on them.

It's a simple question, it doesn't take away from the injustice done to them but everybody here seems to be uncomfortable answering the question. I ask this because the police frame-ups OFTEN use perps that aren't choir boys or are caught doing other stuff in the area....it's lazy police work and often their other actions make it easier for juries to help railroad them on the serious charges.
It was well covered in the documentary. They were in the park, the cops had no real leads on the jogger, felt pressure , and coerced a phony confession.

Had they simply done what any good detective would do, establish a timeline, the jogger had a standard one, and it would have placed her more than 2 miles away from another person the joggers were known to have bothered at the time of the crime.

The NYPD fabricated the attack time by over 40 minutes. They knew where the kids were at 9:25 (2 miles away), created a story the attack happened at 10:05. The jogger left her apartment each night shortly before 9, and arrived every night at the point the attack happened before 9:25 pm.

The real shame is we can bet the prosecutors, cops, etc..will all get to work their full careers, full pensions, full benes..

None of them nor the city has even compensated the innocent kids who all served several years in jail EACH.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:43 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Well, what were the races of the gangs of kids running around the park mugging people? Kinda hard to call it racism when they just pinned it on the youths running around the park unless they were mostly white kids.

So what was the final story with those guys? They were running around the park mugging people and got framed for a rape because they were out there at the same time? Or were they home reading or something in-between?

Thankfully DNA testing is available.

You clearly did not watch the show. There was DNA testing done and none of the five wrongly accused matched any DNA at the crime scene. Also, the actual perpetrator had committed several comparable crimes at the time and the DNA in his file was not even looked at. The trial and prosecution of these kids was a travesty and I hope that they win this law suit with a very large settlement.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
they were in the park and were part of a large group that did a number of assaults on other park visitors. the cops took in 5 of them and coerrced confesions for an unrelated rape/severe beating (that occurred in a different part of the park) out of them over many hours of interoggation that they later recanted. convictions were obtained largely based on these confessions.
Got it. That's kinda what I suspected. Sheesh, why do people have to dig in their heels and try to make them out to be choir boys.

Young dumb kids making bad choices and getting caught up in gangs don't deserve to be railroaded for a rape anymore than anybody else.

This is a textbook case for sloppy policework and a railroading.

Again, thank goodness for DNA evidence....which unfortunately didn't work in this case.....

That's the part that makes my brain hurt. None of the guys DNA at the scene or hers on their clothes and I'm on that jury.....innocent. Next.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You clearly did not watch the show. There was DNA testing done and none of the five wrongly accused matched any DNA at the crime scene. Also, the actual perpetrator was committing several comparable crimes at the time and the DNA in his file was not even looked at. The trial and prosecution of these kids was a travesty and I hope that they win this law suit with a very large settlement.
1. Um, think carefully.....what eventually exonerated them?

2. Yeah, NY should pay-up.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:48 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Got it. That's kinda what I suspected. Sheesh, why do people have to dig in their heels and try to make them out to be choir boys.

Young dumb kids making bad choices and getting caught up in gangs don't deserve to be railroaded for a rape anymore than anybody else.

This is a textbook case for sloppy policework and a railroading.

Again, thank goodness for DNA evidence....which unfortunately didn't work in this case.....

That's the part that makes my brain hurt. None of the guys DNA at the scene or hers on their clothes and I'm on that jury.....innocent. Next.
the lack of DNA was explained away by the DA as "well, maybe they didn't do the rape, but they were there".

there was one guy on the jury who was holding out for aquittal during the 1st trial (there were 2 trials) that basically said he was pressured by the other jury members to convict.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
It was well covered in the documentary. They were in the park, the cops had no real leads on the jogger, felt pressure , and coerced a phony confession.

Had they simply done what any good detective would do, establish a timeline, the jogger had a standard one, and it would have placed her more than 2 miles away from another person the joggers were known to have bothered at the time of the crime.

The NYPD fabricated the attack time by over 40 minutes. They knew where the kids were at 9:25 (2 miles away), created a story the attack happened at 10:05. The jogger left her apartment each night shortly before 9, and arrived every night at the point the attack happened before 9:25 pm.

The real shame is we can bet the prosecutors, cops, etc..will all get to work their full careers, full pensions, full benes..

None of them nor the city has even compensated the innocent kids who all served several years in jail EACH.
Thanks, I will have to look for it on re-runs. Ken Burns is a master of his craft and hopefully this will spur both reform and restitution.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:49 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Who remembers this case of NYPD failure? PBS is airing a documentary by Ken Burns tonight.

Let's hope this kind of racism doesn't take place today.
Ken Burns is a relative and very liberal so I know it will be very slanted.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:51 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
And putting race on top of that makes it even worse.
Yes, race was an explicit component of the super predator myth. Especially young black male teens were thought to be the biggest drivers of the coming explosion in crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies