Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 01:54 PM

2,813 posts, read 5,599,095 times

Advertisements

China's GDP growth is bigger than ours each year because they are still a developing country- when countries are fully developed they hit a plateau, and growth will simply be smaller, no matter how strong their economies are. It's because they are already fully developed, so there is only so much growth that can be done.
When a country like China is further down the development chain, they are starting from a lower level, still climbing, so there is a lot of growth to be had- a lot of development to do that has already been done in other places. So people need to stop mistaking those 8 or 9% growth figures for China somehow being so much "better" than the US. It's just different- other developing countries in Asia and Africa also have these big blistering growth rates per year because they are rising from nothing, there is a lot of growing to be had, and those are certainly not burgeoning super powers.

And even if/when the day comes that China's economy becomes larger than that of the US- it does not mean China will suddenly be a place of envy, a place people want to go to as they do now with the US. The thing to remember is China has 4 times the population of the US- so the fact that their economy is not close to even tying that of the US yet is a testament to how relatively poor things are there compared to here, it is not a place people from developed countries would be looking to at all with any kind of envy in regards to living conditions. In fact in a rough sense, in order for them to reach a comparable standard of living to the US, their per capita GDP would have to match that of ours- which would mean their overall economy would have to be 4 times as large as ours.
So what I am saying is that China is growing and will definitely be a major player economically in the world as they already are, but likely won't reach that "superpower" status in our lifetimes where people are wanting to go live there for the good quality of life, good living standards, etc, because they just won't be at that level.

Now I definitely CAN see them reaching super power status in the military sense as the USSR was back in the cold war days, they are already well on their way to reaching that goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 02:40 PM

600 posts, read 656,696 times
China has way more problems than most know of...

Old 04-18-2013, 02:54 PM

593 posts, read 792,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
So what I am saying is that China is growing and will definitely be a major player economically in the world as they already are, but likely won't reach that "superpower" status in our lifetimes where people are wanting to go live there for the good quality of life, good living standards, etc, because they just won't be at that level.
I also agree with many things you wrote, but in my opinion, some parts of China already have a good quality of life with good living standards. I agree that most parts of China do not have the same living standards found in America, Japan, Australia, ect. However, among my middle class friends in Shanghai, they generally work 36-hour weeks with personal vacation time. After work, they often go to exercise at various gyms, and eat out as often as they want to. They all have wifi at home and enjoy the modern and extensive subway system for transportation.

They do often use a single heater during the winter time, which is less comfortable than the central heating many of us are used to. The lower income class in Shanghai have more difficult lives. However, by and large, I find the quality of life among the middle class to be pretty comfortable in Shanghai. I would buy a condo in Shanghai, but housing prices are very high and rent is relatively cheap.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:12 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,395,088 times
China has already overtaken the US on most fronts. China is the next US for the next 50 years and we will become Britain #2. China is bad at innovations they are good at piracy for sure.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:27 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,383,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
China has already overtaken the US on most fronts. China is the next US for the next 50 years and we will become Britain #2. China is bad at innovations they are good at piracy for sure.
50 years?

anything could happen in 50 years, the E.U could become one country in 50 years.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:41 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,496,294 times
yep China is still largely a thrid world country and has massive structural problems.Just the aging of the popualtion whe they are more like 1900's US means huge problems forward.I the rural areas life contiues much the same hard life. The society spends but it fails any safenet at all. There is a reasson they safe so much and its not because they trust the future but because its largely a cash upfront society.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:46 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,378,535 times
The majority of voters in the US seem drawn to Communism, so, that seems to be our future. They denigrate Capitalism and embrace systems which deny the individual. So those who laud the Chinese reigning supreme over this country must be what is wanted.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:10 PM

593 posts, read 792,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
The majority of voters in the US seem drawn to Communism, so, that seems to be our future. They denigrate Capitalism and embrace systems which deny the individual. So those who laud the Chinese reigning supreme over this country must be what is wanted.
For your information, Mao died awhile ago and China reformed their economy into a market economy back in the 1990s.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,344,487 times
NO.
China has always been fighting itself. It has over fifty countries inside its boundaries and
several hundred million haven't shared in the "dream". It has lots of structural issues and food inflation is beginning to loom large.

But I do keep waiting for a "quality revolution" in the USA similar to what Europeans never lost sight of: real cheese, real wine, quality cookware, quality tools, and send the WalMart style overseas crap back to where it came from.
Vote with your dollar and live with less but enjoy it more.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:15 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,763,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2788 View Post
Well China has this going for them; most of the world doesn't hate them yet.
China has been a closed society for centuries. The world does not hate they "yet" because the world does not know them yet. If you do a little research into what brought about modern China - they have a history that makes Nazi Germany pale in comparison. The so called cultural revolution was a mad man's blood bath. China will NEVER become the number one super power. First of all they have a genetic deficit in their population. The revolution much like the Russian revolution spent most of their energy hunting out and killing off anyone with above average intelligence.

If you look for instance at their "products" there is no quality control - it is not because they lack the will- It is because they lack brain power - out of the billions that live there they can barely find a person to create a common screw that will not strip and break. They can not even make paint that is not poisonous...Their water supply is for the most part tainted....and they are suffocating in their own industrial fumes....My premise is - you mess with the gene pool and you pay the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies