Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 09:56 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times

Advertisements

China retakes renewables investment lead - FT.com
China retakes renewables lead from U.S.
China has surged ahead of the US to regain its title as the world’s biggest investor in renewable energy, new figures showed on Monday.
China invests heavily in Brazil, elsewhere in pursuit of political heft
China is playing by its own rules, giving its firms an edge over U.S. and other multinational companies bound by internationally mandated restrictions intended to promote fair competition. In addition, Brazil and other developing countries, which once saw China as an ally, are now realizing that Chinese companies are competing on their own turf for resources and market share. And some analysts say the United States has been slow to perceive that China is using investment to build political heft.

So, do you think were losing the global admiration? Do you think our lack of progress and willingness to move into the future will take us down? It's not looking so good right now. IMO. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 11:20 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,097 times
Well China has this going for them; most of the world doesn't hate them yet.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:22 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
The Swiss have never been a superpower and they seem to be OK. Same with Canada and several other countries. Just too cold there though.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:50 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
So, do you think were losing the global admiration? Do you think our lack of progress and willingness to move into the future will take us down? It's not looking so good right now. IMO. What are your thoughts?
Don't understand this.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Don't understand this.
War on Terror, lack of education transformation, political arena bogged down with NRA, Christian , anti science agendas(abortion rights, welfare, social security, birth control, gun laws, stem cells, gay rights, immigration, etc.) We have a lack of affordable health care, our economy is thrashed.

Instead of technological progress, world trade, or restructure we seem to miss how it was and don't address the future how it actually is, IMO. Like one of the articles I posted noted, we in the U.S. look inward, not outward when in crisis. Do you think its wise? I'm not sure myself, I thought I'd post and see what others said. In a way it might be nice to let go of the "superpower" status, but I'm not sure how it will effect our country in the long run. I don't want to follow the footsteps of South America.

Do you think any of that has anything to do with it? Or not? Am I totally off? I could very well be.

A communist country is about to become the superpower of the world because they are more progressive than us, have a larger population, and are more involved in world expansion and current economic money makers. Does it bother you, do you believe it, or think its bologna. lol Is communism not such a bad idea anymore? Where has our capitalist system gotten us? I have so many questions, looking for opinions.

If you know anything wrong with my post, or can add something better please do. I'm a layman, it's just a recent concern. I'm no expert on the world economy, or social status.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:22 PM

If it gets so bad that living in the US is worse than living elsewhere, then I'll move.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If it gets so bad that living in the US is worse than living elsewhere, then I'll move.
Yep, that's an option for some. Do you think it will be worse here if we aren't a super power?

Old 04-17-2013, 03:48 PM

China is the world's largest manufacturer - they simply have more people and pump out more goods than us.

China owns more U.S. debt than U.S. citizens do - China ranks behind only the Social Security Trust and the Federal Reserve. As the U.S. continues to drive further into debt, China stands ready to keep collecting the interest.

China's rapid industrialization, again size. They consume more. China's foreign practices give it an edge. While U.S. companies are constrained in their expansion efforts by politics, China has stated its willingness to build refineries in Iran. In further expansionary efforts, China based oil company CNOOC attempted to infiltrate the U.S. market by bidding on Unocal in 2005, but the move was blocked and Chevron eventually outbid the government owned oil giant.

China is to become the world's largest economy in 10 years or less. It's GDP growth is consistent and outperforming compared to the U.S..

China is poised to become the world's leading importer of precious metals.

China is climbing in economic power, two to the most valuable companies in the world are based in China with more in line.

As mentioned, China is the leading investor in renewable energy.

Technology, smart phones, computers. They lead in manufacturing and will continue to grow in this area.

U.S states count China among their top three export markets.

10 Ways America Is Losing Its Superpower Status to China - DailyFinance

Does any of this matter? Do Americans care about this or just care about homeland issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Yep, that's an option for some. Do you think it will be worse here if we aren't a super power?
Probably more so if we're not an economic super power than a military super power (which one is this thread talking about anyway)?

How many American kids go to China to study vs Chinese kids heading here?

When will American workers work for $2/day in sweatshops?

5,576 posts, read 7,994,528 times
The U.S. is experiencing an economic decline and political decline, most visibly expressed in the form of the police state policies implemented under the pretext of preventing terrorism. The combination of maintaining an authoritarian state and running a global empire is creating a monstrous debt burden; unless its growth is stopped in the next few years, the debt will reach a level where it cannot be repaid in any reasonable timespan, otherwise known as national bankruptcy. Other countries, including but not limited to China, are catching up in terms of GDP and influence in world affairs as the U.S. is declining in influence. The U.S. is the last remaining 20th century superpower, and there is no other country that is poised to achieve superpower status on par with the U.S. or U.S.S.R., so the most likely scenario by the mid 21st century is a multipolar world without superpowers, representing a reversion to the old paradigm of multiple competing great powers.

I don't expect this to happen, but if the U.S. plays its cards right, it could emerge as a great country without superpower status, something like a Switzerland of the New World. Such a prospect does not necessarily diminish the greatness of the U.S., and would appear to be a more sustainable course than taking on infinite debt in hopes of retaining a global empire.

China, perhaps by force of population alone, may arise to be the most powerful of the great powers, but I doubt that genuine superpower status will be achieved by 2050.

This is my perspective only, and like any prediction of the future the actual outcome is uncertain and will probably differ from this scenario to some degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies