Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 02:42 PM

20,452 posts, read 12,368,314 times

Advertisements

(my comments have nothing to do with the language issue addressed here....but....)

I have this fantacy of taking a huge dump truck and filling it with junk mail type things, and dumping it in the front of the HQ of one of these companies that send me stuff that I have never used, dont want to use, and have no interest in their product, but they have to send me stuff every other stinking day....thank you for letting me vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 02:51 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,226,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Call & complain to the company & then boycott them.

I would find it frustrating as well. I think I would even write a letter to management.
If it wasn't so far from my house and if I didn't have a life, I'd drive over there and ask them questions about their membership in another language.

All in the hope of the person I am talking to saying that they only speak English and me responding "Exactly!"

Old 04-17-2013, 02:54 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,226,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Just throw the flier away and move on with your life. If you get angry or offended at this kind of innocuous stuff, you might need some professional help or mood altering medication.
You forgot to add that you hope I can't reproduce...

I understand, though. How dare anyone feel annoyed by things? We can't have that, can we?

BTW, of course I will just throw the flier away and move on - doesn't change the fact that I find this annoying... If you'd like, we an continue this thread in another language - it obviously is not important to have a shared one.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:21 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,520,982 times
I just got the Spring "Journal" and mine is in English, no Spanish at all. It may have been sent to you in error as one time the doctors office sent me a letter in Spanish.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:27 PM

571 posts, read 790,292 times
Who cares?

Old 04-17-2013, 03:39 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,937,273 times
If you havent noticed, many of your fortune 500 companies doing business in your communities are providing their customers with maunals or instructions in English, French and Spanish. Many of the products in your homes are labled in both Spanish and English.

You all gonna boycott the world?

Old 04-17-2013, 08:38 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,901,835 times
Don't like it? Then open your own store with a different advertising strategy. Stop whining about how a private business runs its private business.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:51 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,450,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Interesting that so many people want to dictate to a private business how it should advertise, the same way the government of Québec bans any advertising that's not in French.

I often see ads on buses (usually for McDonald's) that are entirely in Spanish or Chinese, but it's never occurred to me to get bent out of shape about them.
Funny that you mention this. I am rather sure that those who would normally be unhappy about stuff like a private business putting their fliers in Spanish are also the ones who would be unhappy about anything else that is possibly infringing on a businesses rights and praise business friendly attitudes.

I guess when things don't go how they want though, it's a different story.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:57 AM

11,233 posts, read 11,007,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
If it was a worthless pursuit, they probably wouldn't do it. We are a changing nation...we are becoming more diverse (something which I really have no problem with).
Once this proposed amnesty hits, we'll be really "diverse" for sure. Maybe BJ's is just gearing up for the obvious inevitable. I mean, hell, if they refuse to learn english now, what will be the point of doing it after being rewarded with amnesty?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:00 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,666,766 times
Huh, I was thinking something completely different reading the title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies