Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 11:58 AM

510 posts, read 889,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
To comment on chucksnee link
Other killers:
-Cars require registration, a license, a test and an ID to get the license, plates, insurance. It's harder
to get a car than a weapon.
-Alcohol need an ID, restrictions on sales depending on states. Read your local paper & see how much
violence, damage and use of resources it takes when people get drunk.
-Tobacco. Taxed & ID also (should tax alcohol the same as tobacco).
_Medical Malpractice- doctors & other health professionals need a license, insurance
_Government. Using examples of other countries & dictators like Stalin, Mao, Hitler to the US
is ridiculous. Not a good comparison.
So yes indeed there are other rules, laws, registration and licenses that people have to abide.

Okey dokey, Yosemiti Sam. So you're saying background checks wouldn't prevent any shooting?
Don't bother to answer I know what your response would be.
10 4 over and out of here.
Cars are supposed to have those things but many don't. There are millions of vehicles in this country that have expired registration, owners with no or suspended license, no insurance, etc. Just look at your county jail rosters and see how many are booked for those types of offenses.
Alcohol only needs an ID if you look young, assuming that they even card. Plenty of binge parties going on every weekend at nearly every high school across America. Alcohol used to be illegal under Prohibition and that didn't work very well.
Tobacco is still easy enough for kids to get. See young teens smoking quite often. Most smokers claim they started in their teens.
Drugs are illegal (mostly) and plenty of people are on them. Even the highly regulated prescription ones. Teens have pill parties all across the country.
Where there's a will there's a way.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:00 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Not an answer, 15,000 people have been caught lying....44 proscuted...

Enforce the current laws....

gabby giffords | Gossipy
Yes it is an answer. Your claim "Current laws are not enforced for gun registration" is a non-starter because there is no national registry, and therefore no laws to maintain one.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:01 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
To comment on chucksnee link
Other killers: ..
Quote:
-Cars require registration, a license, a test and an ID to get the license, plates, insurance. It's harder to get a car than a weapon..
Maybe at age 16, but you don't have to take a test at any other age, neither for the leicense, go up and get them...

Cars require registration, but no background check is completed to see if your a drunk driver, or killed anyone else...before in a car...or your mental...

Quote:
-Alcohol need an ID, restrictions on sales depending on states. Read your local paper & see how much violence, damage and use of resources it takes when people get drunk..
Then how are all these teens getting killed with alochol?

Quote:
The percentage of teens in high school who drink and drive has decreased by more than half since 1991.

One in 10 teens in high school drinks and drives.*

Young drivers (ages 16-20) are 17 times more likely to die in a crash when they have a blood alcohol concentration of .08% than when they have not been drinking.
CDC - Vital Signs - Teen Drinking and Driving

Quote:
-Tobacco. Taxed & ID also (should tax alcohol the same as tobacco)..
Then how are these kids getting smokes?

Quote:
Every day, almost 3,900 adolescents under 18 years of age try their first cigarette. More than 950 of them will become daily smokers.
11 Facts About Teen Smoking | Do Something

Quote:
-_Medical Malpractice- doctors & other health professionals need a license, insurance.

And they still kill people with wrong medicine....

Quote:
So yes indeed there are other rules, laws, registration and licenses that people have to abide...
It's obvious they do not, so more laws will fix all that?

Old 04-18-2013, 12:03 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Gun regulation in America:

Firearm Registration
CompareCivilian Gun Registration
In the United States, the law does not require59 that a record of the acquisition, possession and transfer of each privately held firearm be retained in an official register
CompareBackground Checks for Private Gun Sales
The buyer of a firearm in a private sale in the United States is not obliged63 to pass official background checks before taking possession
CompareBackground Checks on Dealer Gun Sales
The buyer of a firearm from a licensed gun dealer in the United States is obliged64 to pass official background checks before taking possession
CompareRegulation of Private Gun Sales
In the United States, the private sale and transfer of firearms is permitted in some jurisdictions63
CompareRegulation of Dealer Gun Sales
In the United States, dealing in firearms by way of business without a valid gun dealer’s licence is unlawful65
CompareWaiting Period for Gun Possession
In the United States, the minimum wait for a lawful firearm purchase to be completed is undetermined in some jurisdictions63
CompareRegulation of Gun Shows
In the United States, gun shows and temporary firearm dealing events are regulated66 in law

Oh, and state by state, come to AZ and tell me how much regulation there is. Nada!

I dont' see what the drug issue has to do with gun ownership. I would compare it more with something we feel we need to have, like cars. I have no thoughts on not owning a gun coming to pass in America. We will always own as a right here but I think with that right, like driving, comes responsibility and I want gun owners to take on that responsibility like we do having the right to drive.

I want it more regulated, I want higher taxes on it and mandatory insurance. Why don't you?
Because rights are not taxes! Maybe we should tax people to vote, look how much we spend every two years having elections, those who vote should foot the bill.

I take responsibility for my actions, stop pushing the actions of others on me.

And driving on public roads is a privilege, not a right btw.

If you think gun regulations would solve all these problems, then why in my home state of California with the strictest gun control in the nation do we still have crime problems? Deal with the true issues of crime in our nation, hint it isn't guns.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:07 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest338 View Post
Cars are supposed to have those things but many don't. There are millions of vehicles in this country that have expired registration, owners with no or suspended license, no insurance, etc. .
Yep, just look here in Huntsville...

JAIL View

You know whats missing....anything to do with a gun...

Old 04-18-2013, 12:09 PM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
True. Most guns today are sold by dealers who perform the checks already, but there is no national registry, and such registry was not proposed either.
"such registry was not proposed either"

Many do NOT trust the gov't.

Example: The Welfare reform bill signed during the Clinton Admin. The bill explicitly stated that people collecting welfare were REQUIRED to seek employment. Obama said No they don't have to seek employment.

The gov't is filled with such examples where the law intended one thing and the agencies have expanded far and away from the bills original form.

Ibelieve all background checks are done by the states. And they destroy the info after the check is completed.

IF the fed ran the background checks and some future President wanted a registry it would be very easy to do so.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"such registry was not proposed either"

Many do NOT trust the gov't.

Example: The Welfare reform bill signed during the Clinton Admin. The bill explicitly stated that people collecting welfare were REQUIRED to seek employment. Obama said No they don't have to seek employment.

The gov't is filled with such examples where the law intended one thing and the agencies have expanded far and away from the bills original form.

Ibelieve all background checks are done by the states. And they destroy the info after the check is completed.

IF the fed ran the background checks and some future President wanted a registry it would be very easy to do so.
They did not propose national registry, but if you are afraid they might create one, then you need to mobilize to abolish the current background checks. After all it seems you believe the background cheks is the slippery slope leading to registry. Do you ever wonder why we don't have a registry although we have background checks.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:19 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
I wouldn't be jumping up and down about this bill being filibustered, because the vast majority of people are pretty shocked that the R's in the Senate wouldn't let something like this come to a vote. You can win a battle and lose a war--the people blocking this just branded themselves as completely unreasonable. I think you're going to see a whole lot of organizing around this issue, and it's going to make an impact in future elections. If you doubt that, you need to do a little reading about MADD (mothers against drunk driving) and the impact that they made on drunk driving laws. When you cross a line and over reach, there are consequences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothers..._Drunk_Driving

Old 04-18-2013, 12:22 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Sorry, I don't understand ignorance....
To bad your definition of ignorance doesn't apply to the casualties associated with gun ownership.

Depends on what you buy the auto for, you DON'T need insurance if you stay on your privtae property, nor do you have to register it....So, should we just regulated gun owners to stay on their property with their guns at all times? You can buy the gun regulation free but, you must stay at home with it? That's a better idea?

[/color]Your argument is false, do you think every dies in a car crash? You pay for that treatment, do you think everyone dies from the wrong medicine? You pay for that treatment. I'm not sure what you're getting at here?

[color=#ff0000][color=#000000]

Injury Prevention
Disarming Facts about Firearm Injuries
Handguns are a common consumer product in homes throughout the United States. If not handled and stored carefully, they can cause unintended death or injury.

Firearm injuries are a major cause of premature death and disability in the United States. In 1999, approximately 824 Americans died of unintended gunshot wounds, with the vast majority caused by handguns. On average, 13,688 individuals sustain unintentional nonfatal injuries each year, with almost 60 percent of those caused by handguns.

"We must discharge the myth that owning a gun will make a person safer," said Dr. Arthur Kellermann of the American College of Emergency Physicians. "The fact is, owning a gun greatly increases your risk of becoming a victim of unintentional firearm injuries. Knowing the facts about firearms is the first step toward safety and injury prevention."

Link to the 40%
11 things that make home-insurance rates soar - MSN Real Estate

Injury Prevention

http://www.jhsph.edu/research/center...s/IPV_Guns.pdf

The health risk of having a gun in the home | MinnPost
Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study
Does Owning a Gun Increase or Decrease Safety? Science Answers | Skeptikai

[color=#000000]

[color=#000000]What a warped mind....[u]

I wouldn't expect anything else from you but your negative personal opinion of me. Seems thats the best you've got, the numbers certainly aren't on your side.

You have the right to think I'm warped while I pay for your hobby's casualty. But I will keep on until I see gun owners pay increased taxes and regulation on those gun purchases to cover the extra money it costs all Americans for them to own one.

You still haven't answered why you think it's my problem when you're the one who thinks owning a gun is worth the casualty in this country. Do you think I should just shut up and deal with it?

Old 04-18-2013, 12:33 PM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I support registration and licensing.

You need to prove that you have been trained how to drive properly. You should have to prove that you know how to operate a gun.
You don't need to register a car or have driver's license you drive on your own property.

You don't have to prove you know to operate it either.

"To keep and bear arms" is in the Constitution. Why should it be more restrictive then cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies