U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2013, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
60,060 posts, read 48,561,040 times
Reputation: 86854

Advertisements

I am sick of the weenie phrases, "Terror attack," and "act of terror."

Terror is an EMOTION. It's not a criminal or an attacker - it's simply an emotion FELT by people who are victims of CRIMINALS.

I say call it what it is - a TERRORIST ATTACK. Or a DEADLY ASSAULT. Whatever, but not "an act of terror."

The reason I say this is because words have meanings. I hate it when we water down, or change the focus, of an event by politically correct double speak.

When we use the terms "act of terror" or "terror attack" we (perhaps inadvertently) conjure up images of a bolt of terror from the sky smiting the weak people below. No, that's not how it goes. CRIMINALS plant IEDs or bombs with the intent to kill and main innocent bystanders and civilians.

Don't whitewash it or water it down. There are evil people among us who intend to harm others in order to make a statement about their personal philosophies. They don't care if these people are children, or marathon runners, or friends on the sidelines, or people just going to work or enjoying the company of friends and family.

It's not an "act of terror." It's a despicable act of evil by evil people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2013, 09:16 PM
 
3,846 posts, read 2,197,921 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am sick of the weenie phrases, "Terror attack," and "act of terror."

Terror is an EMOTION. It's not a criminal or an attacker - it's simply an emotion FELT by people who are victims of CRIMINALS.

I say call it what it is - a TERRORIST ATTACK. Or a DEADLY ASSAULT. Whatever, but not "an act of terror."

The reason I say this is because words have meanings. I hate it when we water down, or change the focus, of an event by politically correct double speak.

When we use the terms "act of terror" or "terror attack" we (perhaps inadvertently) conjure up images of a bolt of terror from the sky smiting the weak people below. No, that's not how it goes. CRIMINALS plant IEDs or bombs with the intent to kill and main innocent bystanders and civilians.

Don't whitewash it or water it down. There are evil people among us who intend to harm others in order to make a statement about their personal philosophies. They don't care if these people are children, or marathon runners, or friends on the sidelines, or people just going to work or enjoying the company of friends and family.

It's not an "act of terror." It's a despicable act of evil by evil people.
When the Government does it, it is not "criminal".

I think Richard Nixon said something to this effect.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2013, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
60,060 posts, read 48,561,040 times
Reputation: 86854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
When the Government does it, it is not "criminal".

I think Richard Nixon said something to this effect.
Well, there you have it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2013, 09:20 PM
 
4,838 posts, read 3,898,078 times
Reputation: 1835
Know what I'm sick of? People playing the word semantics game.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2013, 09:21 PM
 
714 posts, read 526,746 times
Reputation: 265
I hate to see this happen, but it drove the point home that if bad things are going to happen, there are other ways then firearms.

Bombs do more damage and don't even need the person/people there to set it off.

Guess what? Most explosives are already illegal or heavily Federally regulated.

Does anyone think they care?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2013, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Lower east side of Toronto
10,568 posts, read 11,863,622 times
Reputation: 9374
Fear kills people...and fear is instilled in people by people. If you FEAR long enough that you will contract cancer the brain and spirit will generate that cancer. If a nation excepts fear as a way of life - that is the end of that nation. Terrorism is such a stupid term. If there is a bully in your playground and you STOP fearing the bully...the bully disappears. Much like the proverbial devil- If you deeply believe in this force you give life to this force...Stop believing in terror. Don't let others tell you to be afraid.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2013, 09:26 PM
 
1,858 posts, read 3,311,807 times
Reputation: 2140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Green_50 View Post
I hate to see this happen, but it drove the point home that if bad things are going to happen, there are other ways then firearms.

Bombs do more damage and don't even need the person/people there to set it off.

Guess what? Most explosives are already illegal or heavily Federally regulated.

Does anyone think they care?
Well then the solution is obvious. We should take the next logical step from the NRA, which argues that if everyone were armed with guns, there would be less gun violence. So why not have everyone armed with bombs, too?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 PM
 
10,535 posts, read 12,799,241 times
Reputation: 2812
Teror is an emotion. Terrorism is a tactic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2013, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
60,060 posts, read 48,561,040 times
Reputation: 86854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Fear kills people...and fear is instilled in people by people. If you FEAR long enough that you will contract cancer the brain and spirit will generate that cancer. If a nation excepts fear as a way of life - that is the end of that nation. Terrorism is such a stupid term. If there is a bully in your playground and you STOP fearing the bully...the bully disappears. Much like the proverbial devil- If you deeply believe in this force you give life to this force...Stop believing in terror. Don't let others tell you to be afraid.
I don't believe in submitting to terror. But I do believe that CRIMINALS attack and kill people who weren't operating from a place of "terror," - they were simply running a marathon, or cheering people they loved from the sidelines.

No amount of bravado or "lack of terror" would have stopped these criminals (some might call them terrorists) from planting those bombs. In fact, they planted those bombs right in the midst of "freedom," and "good times," and " good, clean fun." Not a sign of terror around, and yet within seconds, people lay dead and maimed on the ground.

At the hands of criminals, not "terror."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2013, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
60,060 posts, read 48,561,040 times
Reputation: 86854
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Well then the solution is obvious. We should take the next logical step from the NRA, which argues that if everyone were armed with guns, there would be less gun violence. So why not have everyone armed with bombs, too?
Everyone could be armed with bombs. From my understanding, most of us have the means to produce a bomb right in our kitchen, or within one short trip to the hardware store.

Hell, my grandmother had several pressure cookers. I have one of hers in my cabinet right now. I'm scared everytime I open the cabinet door.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top