Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 06:04 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
We are now being classified as extremists by the US Army! All 1.5 BILLION of us!

"While outfits such as al Qaeda and the KKK are explicitly violent, the presentation also lists Catholicism and evangelical Protestantism as extremist groups"

Defense Department classifies Catholics, evangelicals as extremists - Washington Times

I guess we all look alike...
Maybe you should have read to the bottom of the article.
Quote:
An Army spokesperson said the presentation “was produced by an individual without anyone in the chain of command’s knowledge or permission.” The Army removed the offending slide after receiving complaints.
The person responsible for the presentation, the spokesperson said, “was not a subject matter expert, and produced the material after conducting Internet research.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 06:07 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Ah yes. The old "We Christians are so persecuted and marginalized! Wahhh! Wahhhhhh!" thing is really tired, not to mention a complete crock of BS.

The vast, vast majority of people in this nation self-identify as Christian. You cannot go six blocks in any town in the USA without seeing at least one church, and that's leaving aside the many mega-churches cropping up everywhere that seat thousands.

Christians have their own chains of retail businesses, their own television networks and radio stations, their own advertising firms, their own publishing companies, and on and on.

And that's all well and good; that's as it should be. It's a free country and if Christians want to own media and engage in capitalism, more power to them!

But to turn around and pretend that they are somehow persecuted, mistreated, pushed aside, etc., is complete baseless nonsense and BS.
This. I think it's blatantly obvious that people, mostly on the right, have been doing the whole "war on christians" thing for a long time with the goal being to get the majority of Americans on their side. Afterall we can all have disagreements politically BUT if all the christians in America see that the dirty liberals and the left and all the other un-Godly people are out to get us, and we are persecuted simply for our beliefs then we will have no choice but to back up the good guys on the right.

That, or, the very loud christians who go around telling people how to live their lives feel isolated and alone and buy into the persecution talk easilly; ignoring the fact that most christians in this country are less WBC and more Live-and-Let-Live, recognizing that christianity (and any other religion) is a personal matter. This is the "If you're not with me, you're against me" syndrome and can easily lead to the paranoid belief that people are out to get you.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:10 AM

287 posts, read 185,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Me too. It happens every day. I carry at least 3-4 lb of lead, copper and nickel in my body because of all the bullets. I am a non-denominational Christian. My burden is heavy.
My Baptist neighbor got a pipe bomb in their garage this morning - ugly stuff!

Old 04-18-2013, 06:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I can imagine the fuss that would be created if I placed a 20 ft. high Thor's Hammer statue across the street from the elaborate "Kingdom Hall" in our town. If I had that much money to for entertainment I would do it just for grins.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:46 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,333,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Violent fundamentalists that use their respective religions to justify their violence are the problem. Defending those violent fringe elements who claim to be faithful for their own ends, without giving a lick of thought to what they are actually doing, doing degrades all of us Christians. It makes us all look like the violent fringe elements because every time some one says something about those violent fringe elements that happen to be Christian...people tend to scream and rave in every way possible about persecution of all Christians.
Well said. Although I am not a believer, I am honored to have many friends who are Christian (and of other faiths as well) and many family members who are Christian. Many of them are far more intelligent than myself.

I frequently say that the overwhelming percentage of Christians are reasonable, bright, compassionate, open-hearted people. It is unfortunate that the shrill fringe few (extreme, zealous fundamentalists / literalists) are often seen to speak for the entire body of Christians. It's simply not the case.

Likewise, for another example, Muslims. The extremist, violent suicide bombing jihadists do not speak for, or represent, all of Islam or even the majority of Muslims. The majority of Muslims worldwide are caring, peaceful, reasonable people.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:53 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,015 times
You are extremists.

Extremists does not equate to violence.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 AM

287 posts, read 185,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
You are extremists.

That's true, but I equate extremists to being dickheads.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:01 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
They are, indeed, "out to get us". The Christians are out to get all of us that are not Christian as well as anyone not their flavor of Christian.
Absolutely right. All of these whiny posts by Christians about how, despite being the overwhelming majority in this country, they are continuously being "persecuted," is a joke. Those who do not subscribe to their brand of rigid dogma are the real targets of their whining. They won't be happy until everyone is walking in lockstep with their beliefs.

I don't speak of all Christians, of course, or even most Christians. Just the ones who are suffering from this phantom Christian Persecution Syndrome, of which there seem to be many on this board.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:02 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianPetersonRules View Post
That's true, but I equate extremists to being dickheads.
yep

Old 04-18-2013, 11:02 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
You are extremists.

Lol...s'what I was thinking. What ISN'T extreme about them is the better question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies