Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:58 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

The Rev. Al Sharpton has just issued a statement criticizing Vice President Dick Cheney since it has been reported to him "by media" that the Vice President's hunting trip Monday is being conducted at the Clove Valley Rod & Gun Club in Union Vale, New York, where, Sharpton alleges, "there is a Confederate Flag hanging at the club."

I do not know this to be true.

In fact, it seems fairly clear that Rev. Sharpton does not know this to be true.

Political Punch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 12:15 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,994 times
One thing Al is good at is getting his name in the paper.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:42 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
I despise the VP, think its odd that people still revere the confederate flag as if it recalls some great time in history-hello? it was basically treason.

At the same time, Al Sharpton is media wh*re-with a perm.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:12 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times
Quote:
"Until this issue was raised by the press, we were not even aware of this," McBride says. The VP's office cannot confirm whether in fact there IS a flag at the club.

Nonetheless, Sharpton says he's "calling on Vice President Cheney to leave immediately and denounce the club and apologize for going to a club that represents lynching, hate, and murder to black people."
lol, this is just absurd, in so many different ways.

it's crazy to me that this guy goes around speaking as if he was the unified voice of all black people.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:16 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
But if it the VP were to go have lunch at a Mexican diner that flew the Mexican flag above the American, I'm sure he'd have no problem with it.

Now that I live in TN I see the confederate flag a lot more often than I used to in Texas. I used to have one myself on the front of my truck. If a person wants to fly it, they are completely free to do so. Some see it as a racist symbol, but when I sported it, it was my symbol of rebellion against the overbearing US government. Many people I know feel the same way about it. Sure some people use it as a hate symbol, but that shouldn't mean now that everyone has to pull it down because there are some who use it for ill purposes.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:11 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
But if it the VP were to go have lunch at a Mexican diner that flew the Mexican flag above the American, I'm sure he'd have no problem with it.

Now that I live in TN I see the confederate flag a lot more often than I used to in Texas. I used to have one myself on the front of my truck. If a person wants to fly it, they are completely free to do so. Some see it as a racist symbol, but when I sported it, it was my symbol of rebellion against the overbearing US government. Many people I know feel the same way about it. Sure some people use it as a hate symbol, but that shouldn't mean now that everyone has to pull it down because there are some who use it for ill purposes.
So how about going after and taking down those who use the Confederate Flag as a symbol of racism and hatred. Separate yourself from the stereotype and in due time, most people will see a difference and leave non-racist Confederate descendants/southerners alone.

But back to the topic, we all know that Cheney is no JFK or Clinton when it comes to race relations, especially with blacks. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if his possession of the Confederate flag symbolized his desire of the good ol' days. But Sharpton is the last person who should say anything about racism and how other people are guilty of it.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:15 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
I believe the first ammendment is the main reason I wouldn't go after them. They have a right to speech and expression, even if its disgusting.

I have been seperate from the stereotype, and I really don't have the time to run around trying to convince people not to stereotype me. The type of people who do that are usually just looking for bad anyway they can find it. If they were actually looking to see who I was, they would find the truth, and that it would contradict any stereotypes.

Why don't people go around telling blacks who wear red or blue bandanas to take them off and seperate themselves from gangs?

Old 10-30-2007, 03:12 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post

But back to the topic, we all know that Cheney is no JFK or Clinton when it comes to race relations, especially with blacks. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if his possession of the Confederate flag symbolized his desire of the good ol' days.
So now Cheney owns a Confederate Flag?

Old 10-30-2007, 03:20 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,623 times
I wish that smarmy, fraudulent huckster $harpton would get a life and keep his yap shut.

Hello, private club? Freedom of expression? Freedom of speech? Freedom of association? Anybody...?

Besides, the Rebel Flag is only a "racist" symbol to those who perceive it as such. I don't. To many of us, it's a historic symbol of Southern heritage, cultural/regional pride, states' rights, and the bold decision to defy authoritarian government.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:21 PM

295 posts, read 320,494 times
Why doesn't Al Sharpton address some real issues such as the high rate of crime among young Black men, over 200 deaths so far this year in Phila. Pennsylvania!! I live in New Jersey and fly the Confederate flag and feel I have aGod given right to fly this flag. This flag is of American heritage more than those flags the Mexican immigrants fly here. I'm sure Mr. Sharpton attend rallies where the red,black, and green striped flag of the African National Congress flies!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies