Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 12:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You see places advertising "world famous" or world's best" everywhere. That being said, I wouldn't order a hot dog because it was "world famous". I WOULD order it if it claimed to be 90 calories, and if it in fact has 458 calories, it's grounds for a lawsuit.
Claims of being world famous or the world's best are subjective at best and I doubt that they would be covered any false advertising claim. But claiming that your products meets quantifiable specifications is another ballgame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
OK... I get it. They advertised it, so it's on them. Fair enough.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Civil penalties, up to $2,500 for each violation, are allowed when a lawsuit is brought by an authorized government agency. However, the UCL does not permit punitive damages awards

I'm pretty sure $700,000 is far greater than $2,500, and the individual isnt the government.
Each State also has their own laws.

I'm not sure if he filed under false advertising or not, but there are protections in place for false advertising.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:32 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,833 times
Quote:
The FTC isnt involved, this is a civil lawsuit
Isn't the civil lawsuit made possible BY the FTC act? Does it indeed have to be brought by an authorized government agency in such case? What was your reasoning for quoting FTC in the first place if it meant absolutely nothing?

Under the FTC Act

· Civil penalties, consumer redress and other monetary remedies. Civil penalties range from thousands of dollars to millions of dollars, depending on the nature of the violation. Sometimes advertisers have been ordered to give full or partial refunds to all consumers who bought the product.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:32 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
They had me at external ears:

In Arabic, the word halal means permitted or lawful. Halal foods are foods that are allowed under Islamic dietary guidelines. According to these guidelines gathered from the Qu'ran, Muslim followers cannot consume the following:

pork or pork by products
animals that were dead prior to slaughtering
animals not slaughtered properly or not slaughtered in the name of Allah
blood and blood by products
alcohol
carnivorous animals
birds of prey
land animals without external ears

most humane method is bleeding out by having your throat slashed? Give me a bolt gun any day over a slow death.

Muslims are taught through the Qu'ran that all animals should be treated with respect and well cared for. The goal is to slaughter the animal, limiting the amount of pain the animal will endure.

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/midd...halalfoods.htm

Old 04-18-2013, 12:34 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
So when the local hotdog show advertises, "World famous hotdogs", they are breaking the law?

What law would that be?
There are exceptions for misrepresentation when things are obvious puffery. I would suspect that was not the case here.

1,165 posts, read 1,514,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
It is good to see at least somewhere a corporation is being brought to task for lying to consumers.
It was just a single franchise underneath the corporation. This hardly represents the corporation as a whole.

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Or more likely you could not avoid the discussion by talking about you watching Spongebob..

The Facts About Truth in Advertising In The United States - TMRoe

According to the Federal Trade Commission Act and the FTC's Unfairness Policy Statement, an ad or business practice is unfair if:

· it causes or is likely to cause substantial consumer injury which a consumer could not reasonably avoid; and
· it is not outweighed by the benefit to consumers.

Which one of these would enter the equasion?
None, because it's not a matter of unfair business practice, it's matter of deceptive advertising, which is entirely different. You can't just grab the first link that pops up.

Here:

Quote:
... the Commission will find deception if there is a representation, omission or practice that is likely to mislead the consumer acting reasonably in the circumstances, to the consumer's detriment.
It's from this excellent policy statement: FTC POLICY STATEMENT ON DECEPTION

Old 04-18-2013, 12:35 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Each State also has their own laws.

I'm not sure if he filed under false advertising or not, but there are protections in place for false advertising.
Absolutely, my very first response was that McDonalds was wrong.. I simply questioned the "reason" for the settlement. More than likely it was to make the whole thing disappear..

Old 04-18-2013, 12:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
None, because it's not a matter of unfair business practice, it's matter of deceptive advertising, which is entirely different. You can't just grab the first link that pops up.

Here:

It's from this excellent policy statement: FTC POLICY STATEMENT ON DECEPTION
The commission is NOT involved..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies