Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 11:26 AM

31,031 posts, read 22,064,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
What are you talking about? Obviously a bi-sexual person is attracted to both men and women. Whether the attraction is "equal" for both genders, I wouldn't know. I'm sure that varies from person to person. But that wasn't even the point of my comment. My point was that nobody wants to feel like they're only viewed as something to play around with, but not good enough for a serious relationship or marriage. Or I should say, no intelligent, self-respecting person that I know wants to put up with that. I'm sure there's some low self esteem woman out there who will deal with it.
I know what your point was. I was just pointing out that the vast amount of Bi-sexual women out there just dable in other women. Ideally the women they "play around with" are also just playing around. Many people explore their sexuality to determine who they are comfortable with or just for pleasure.

The risk may be to someone who could just as easily fall in love with a woman or a man. Or a Lesbian who thinks she's going to 'turn' a mildly bisexual women.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:39 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural City Gal View Post
But white people should not use their plight, with ours as black people. It makes seem even as black people, we cannot even get the rights of our struggle without white people taking it for their own gain.I really wish someone who is black, and feel the same way I do would answer this discussion.
Injustices brought about by discrimination and the denial of civil rights shouldn't be confined to skin color alone. I'm just stunned that as an African American you can't appreciate the struggles of another group that has suffered discrimination.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:51 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Injustices brought about by discrimination and the denial of civil rights shouldn't be confined to skin color alone. I'm just stunned that as an African American you can't appreciate the struggles of another group that has suffered discrimination.

And as others have pointed out, a GAY man was one of the architects of the black civil rights movement, serving right along side of MLK: Bayard Rustin.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:55 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
And as others have pointed out, a GAY man was one of the architects of the black civil rights movement, serving right along side of MLK: Bayard Rustin.
And Crispus Attucks was the first to die for the revolutionary war--but no one would argue that the war with the British was over the rights of blacks.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:09 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Another problem unique to gays, is when you have friends, and they find out about you, and then they don't call you anymore. Family members too will often alienate you. It's hurtful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I have been down that street a few times. A few years ago I saw a friend and his wife that I had not seen in a long time, they asked me how things were for my partner and I. I told them that we got married while it was legal here in California. The wife said that she was very happy for us, the husband looked shocked and said, " you guys are gay?". His wife gave him a look that said are you stupid. We knew them for about 8 years at that time, but ever since they have avoided us. I do not see how her husband could not know, we have three bedrooms, one was a TV room, one was a computer media room and the other had a large bed that we both slept in. I guess the husband just kept turning a blind eye towards what should have been obvious to anyone that we are a couple.
I have had the same thing happen to me over the years, most recently it was a guy I went to medical school with. I couldn't believe he could not have known, but that is the way a lot of straight people are, even some of the brightest. It seems unless we "flaunt" it, the way some straight people expect, we are considered straight until proven otherwise.

I thought it was pretty sad, we got each other through med school, studying hours and hours, went to a few conferences together, enjoyed each others company, and once he found out, then the emails stopped, and the phone calls stopped, with none returned. This type of homophobia is actually the most insidious, not so much the blatant name calling type.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
And Crispus Attucks was the first to die for the revolutionary war--but no one would argue that the war with the British was over the rights of blacks.

Clever, but Bayard Rustin was one of the architects of the black civil rights movement (who himself borrowed from the India civil rights struggles for his methods).... and he had this to say:

For Rustin, gay rights was inextricably part of the larger struggle for civil rights. This weekend marks the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall riots in New York City, which helped to launch the modern gay rights movement. In an essay of Rustin’s which Sekou quotes, “From Montgomery to Stonewall,” he insists on the continuity between the two causes:

That was the beginning of an extraordinary revolution, similar to the Montgomery Bus Boycott in that it was not expected that anything extraordinary would occur. As in the case of the women who left the Russian factory, and in the case of Rosa Parks who sat down in the white part of the bus, something began to happen, people began to protest. They began to fight for the right to live in dignity, the right essentially to be one’s self in every respect, and the right to be protected under law. In other words, people began to fight for their human rights. Gay people must continue this protest.

BAYARD RUSTIN, folks. Couldn't be more of a mouthpiece for what kind of struggles are analogous to the black civil rights movement except MLK himself!

The black civil rights movement is also referred to because its main leaders - such as MLK - espoused equality for ALL races, not just black people.

Being judged by the content of character and not the color of one's skin was the message. Not just, "we're black and we want our rights."

Old 04-19-2013, 01:48 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times
While I fully support civil rights for gay people, I also find the comparison insulting. Not because I think gays are less than, but rather because I feel that it comes off as "using" black people.

When the comparison is made, the intent is to form a kinship, when I don't think gays (in general) actually feel a kinship at all. In fact, blacks are accused of being homophobic (we were blamed for the whole Prop 8 thing, criticized re:MD's recent bill and the hip hop/rap culture has been deemed homophobic). So, where exactly is this kinship that is claimed when making the comparison?

I think the comparison is made NOT out of kinship, but rather because they see a way to get their point across and will exploit it. Why? Because it gets a reaction. This forum alone shows you just how explosive it can be discussing anything involving black people. For better or worse and whether positive or negative, when black people are mentioned, folks get interested and want to participate in the dialogue.

Gays comparing their struggles to the CRM invokes a response in many people. Brings to mind slavery, lynching, police brutality, hoses being turned on citizens, etc. While I can sympathize with the plight of gays in the US, this visual response does not make me feel kinship. Instead, I feel a bit resentful that the absolute horrors faced by blacks is diminished when compared to the issues gays face today.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:00 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Get over it already. Both groups cry and complain more than they try to do anything worthwhile.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Get over it already. Both groups cry and complain more than they try to do anything worthwhile.

And what worthwhile things have you done recently to be able to pass judgment on what is worthwhile and not worthwhile?

Old 04-19-2013, 02:24 PM

482 posts, read 798,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
While I fully support civil rights for gay people, I also find the comparison insulting. Not because I think gays are less than, but rather because I feel that it comes off as "using" black people.

When the comparison is made, the intent is to form a kinship, when I don't think gays (in general) actually feel a kinship at all. In fact, blacks are accused of being homophobic (we were blamed for the whole Prop 8 thing, criticized re:MD's recent bill and the hip hop/rap culture has been deemed homophobic). So, where exactly is this kinship that is claimed when making the comparison?

I think the comparison is made NOT out of kinship, but rather because they see a way to get their point across and will exploit it. Why? Because it gets a reaction. This forum alone shows you just how explosive it can be discussing anything involving black people. For better or worse and whether positive or negative, when black people are mentioned, folks get interested and want to participate in the dialogue.

Gays comparing their struggles to the CRM invokes a response in many people. Brings to mind slavery, lynching, police brutality, hoses being turned on citizens, etc. While I can sympathize with the plight of gays in the US, this visual response does not make me feel kinship. Instead, I feel a bit resentful that the absolute horrors faced by blacks is diminished when compared to the issues gays face today.

Thank You, I could not have said any better than you.Good Job. And for those of you throwing leaders for the black civil rights movement, have anyone ever heard of Charles Hamilton Houston?He is a forgotten hero of the civil rights movement that I think everyone should know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies