Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 01:51 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural City Gal View Post
Maybe both, but people are going to notice his blackness first,like I notice it. Skin color comes first, gaynes second.And people cannot see gay.

His blackness does not prevent him from being denied equal treatment under the law. He could be fired from his job for being gay, not for being black. He could be denied housing for being gay, not for being blacked. He and his boyfriend could be denied accommodation at a hotel because they are gay... but if he had a white girlfriend, he would not be able to be denied accommodation.

So yes, the struggles are very much the same. The PROBLEMS facing gays of today and blacks of the past are very much the same.

And by the way:

You can "see gay" when two guys are holding hands at dinner.

You can "see gay" when two women kiss.

You can "see gay" or even "suspect gay" just seeing two dudes out on, say, Valentines Day.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:53 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
I never did.Show me where I did,please?
Show me where I did.

I am trying to show you that ALL civil rights movements have leaned on previous civil rights movements.
ALL civil rights movements have compared their fights with others where they are comparable.

You are trying to say that gays are latching on to YOUR fight, when YOUR fight has latched onto others before you.

You do not own the term civil rights, you are not the first group to fight for yours, you won't be the last.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:54 PM

482 posts, read 798,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
His blackness does not prevent him from being denied equal treatment under the law.

And by the way:

You can "see gay" when two guys are holding hands at dinner.

You can "see gay" when two women kiss.

You can "see gay" or even "suspect gay" just seeing two dudes out on, say, Valentines Day.

You can, but also remember those people choose to do those things in public.Can black people hide being black in the 50's?Unlike gays, black people cannot hide their skin.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Show me where I did.

I am trying to show you that ALL civil rights movements have leaned on previous civil rights movements.
ALL civil rights movements have compared their fights with others where they are comparable.

You are trying to say that gays are latching on to YOUR fight, when YOUR fight has latched onto others before you.

You do not own the term civil rights, you are not the first group to fight for yours, you won't be the last.

And I am saying, white gays do latch onto our movements when they have have movements , back in the olden days of their own. Black people had to start from the ground up, and we are still struggling.I will go even further.As a black woman, I cannot see myself latching onto the feminist movement.To me that's a white woman's movement, and I have no say.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
You can, but also remember those people choose to do those things in public.Can black people hide being black in the 50's?Unlike gays, black people cannot hide their skin.
Yeah, I can hide. I can never speak of my family. Never go out in public with them. Have no pictures on my desk. I could even find a beard.

I refuse to hide from cowardly bigots.

You want to know how blacks broke some of the social taboos against them?
They went out there, put themselves in positions where they weren't wanted.

That is exactly what I'm doing too. That is exactly what others before the blacks did too.

Do you realize that until not too long ago, I could be involuntarily committed, given electro shock therapy, and lobotomized for who I love?

Do you realize that there are homosexuals that are raped, beaten, and killed today, for who they love?

You think I am latching on to your fight? I have my own to deal with. There are similarities, and I will point them out. But I don't compare my fight to yours other than we both have had to fight to get where we are.
Both groups have been treated horribly.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:04 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
How Many Times Is This Topic Going to be Posted ?? We have seen this thread over and over.......and over......and over......

Old 04-18-2013, 02:05 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
And I am saying, white gays do latch onto our movements when they have have movements , back in the olden days of their own. Black people had to start from the ground up, and we are still struggling.I will go even further.As a black woman, I cannot see myself latching onto the feminist movement.To me that's a white woman's movement, and I have no say.
You're a female so yeah, you have a say.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
BS. Blacks "in the olden days" didn't start from the ground up. They stood on the shoulders of those who went before them.

Why is the feminist movement only a white womens movement? Are black women not women?
Do black women not want or deserve equal pay for equal work?
Do black women not get raped?
Do black women not want equal protection?

I'm sure you take advantage of all of the things that feminist movements fought for.

Stop trying to put everyone into little boxes.
WE are all American citizens. WE should ALL stand up for each other.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yeah, I can hide. I can never speak of my family. Never go out in public with them. Have no pictures on my desk. I could even find a beard.

I refuse to hide from cowardly bigots.

You want to know how blacks broke some of the social taboos against them?
They went out there, put themselves in positions where they weren't wanted.

That is exactly what I'm doing too. That is exactly what others before the blacks did too.

Do you realize that until not too long ago, I could be involuntarily committed, given electro shock therapy, and lobotomized for who I love?

Do you realize that there are homosexuals that are raped, beaten, and killed today, for who they love?

You think I am latching on to your fight? I have my own to deal with. There are similarities, and I will point them out. But I don't compare my fight to yours other than we both have had to fight to get where we are.
Both groups have been treated horribly.

Unlike gay white people, they did not have curfews, or black codes.If you are a white man who is gay, nobody will know that you are gay unless you tell someone. That's the privilege you have that other minortites don't have. All I am just saying that I feel like it's wring for gay white people to latch onto to us, when they could latch onto their own Ancestors before them.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:14 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
How Many Times Is This Topic Going to be Posted ?? We have seen this thread over and over.......and over......and over......
I agree. I'm getting really effin tired of every single thread on here pertaining only to gays, gay marriage, gay sex, guns or gun control. It's effin over done, tired, I'm bored w/all of it. And everyone keeps posting the same crap, going in circles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies