Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 10:42 AM

977 posts, read 760,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
We are against voter ID laws because they disenfranchise many of the poor who vote. And before you even respond, not all poor people are on food stamps or welfare. Many states are required a new state issued ID and not just a drivers license. Some states are making it so that college students can only vote in their home towns and not at college.
Spoken like a true non-thinking lib who has no sense of his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 AM

977 posts, read 760,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
This state issued ID thing sort of resembles the old poll tax. In fact, it seems the exact equivalent.
Another lib who spits up talking points from the loopy left yet has nothing to show as proof. Good lib-dog.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:07 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,910,341 times
Each state is different but most (if not all) will allow absentee ballots for college students.

Absentee Voting Rules | Long Distance Voter - The Absentee Ballot Experts

Old 04-19-2013, 11:31 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,182,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Yep, and they're hoping that the results will be the same. So much for courting the minorities, eh GOP?
Explain the minorities that were elected in South Carolina with their voter id laws

Old 04-19-2013, 07:59 PM

524 posts, read 398,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol View Post
Using an absentee ballot IS voting, so how is it not comparable? If you are a registered voter, then you can request a ballot and it will be sent to the address that the Voting Commission has on record, for the military it's a bit different. It is the individuals responsibility to update their information.

If students are residents in their state, then they can vote in their home of record. To become a resident of their college town/city, they must meet certain requirements such as having their vehicle registered or have a utility bill. Most college kids and young adults do not vote in local elections or even pay attention to local politics, and with politicians targeting colleges they seem to get spoon-fed their views.

S. Carolina attempted to implement voter I.D. laws and even offered to bus the poor, elderly, and others to get a state I.D. free of charge, but apparently that is still racist. Go figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
How do you check an ID via absentee voting?

Let's pretend all of that is true. So what?

Flaccid gestures do not ameliorate the intent of the law.
"So what?" Are you in elementary school? If you are going to refute my statement then at least make an attempt. As I stated before, the ballot is mailed to the address that an individual has registered with. Is it 100% fool proof? No.

Attempting to enforce the conditions that come with voting is up holding the law.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,722,839 times
Quote:
"So what?" Are you in elementary school? If you are going to refute my statement then at least make an attempt. As I stated before, the ballot is mailed to the address that an individual has registered with. Is it 100% fool proof? No.

Attempting to enforce the conditions that come with voting is up holding the law.
Actually if you look into the parameters of the real voting fraud over the last years it is not "ghost" voters...it is absentee ballots and gross stuffing of the voting system.

So if your interest was really in stopping voter fraud one would concentrate on perfecting the absentee and the operation of the voting system. But fixing fraud in the absentee system is not even on the scene.

Could it be that absentee ballots tend to be Republican?

Old 04-19-2013, 09:57 PM

20,893 posts, read 16,012,479 times
Quote:
"So what?" Are you in elementary school?
Not at all. I am simply expecting you to actually make an argument rather than spouting off random assertions with no obvious implication. I ask the question because as far as I can tell what you said there was meaningless. "So what?" is not a rhetorical question. I am actually asking, "So what?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol
If you are going to refute my statement then at least make an attempt. As I stated before, the ballot is mailed to the address that an individual has registered with. Is it 100% fool proof? No.
Worse than merely not being "100% fool proof," it doesn't even have the obvious checks of age or gender that you have in voter ID-less in-person voting. Anybody can fill out an absentee ballot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol
And suppressing the legitimate votes of your opposition is upholding corruption.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
1. You have to prove who you are when you register.
This is true no matter whether you are voting absentee or in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough
2, If you are paying in state tuition you prbably are a resident of that state. If not provisions are made.
But you don't register to vote by state. You register by precinct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough
3. Colleges are co-operating with the states to ensure voter fraud is diminished.
What voter fraud?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:00 PM

20,948 posts, read 18,971,772 times
I guess that lefties would consider bus fare to get to the polls a "poll tax".

Old 04-19-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
Only the disgusting left would make a claim that a law for all is racist.
Only the clueless would claim that any law for all is magically not racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies