Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 09:16 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Do your homework before posting. Most european HC has and uses private for-profit insurance. The one first world nation that is completely socialized still has the option for a citizen to purchase private insurance and that is the UK.

Right you are.

They have to get supplemental health insurance because the state-run system sucks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 09:19 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Why was the emergency room your only option. medicare is taken a walk-in care clinics. ER care is expensive.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:25 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I was honestly just thinking about that yesterday; sorry to head about your mother I hope all continues going well with her, but what I was thinking about yesterday is how can we lower the cost of healthcare because that's the real problem. The only reason why I've been such an advocate for Universal Health Care for was because it seemed as if we could be in on everything together, but the problem still is that health care costs ridiculous amounts of money. A check up for a cold for someone my age (21) shouldn't be $500 if you don't have insurance but more like $20.
$20?! You probably drop $10 for coffee and a pastry but expect a doctor to cover his labor, overhead, including insurance, staff, rent, equipment, and an amortized portion of the $200k he or she paid in tuition for $20. Wow.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:57 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
It's not about insurance companies....it's the cost of the care itself. Obamacare didn't address the real problem correctly, it's just going to make it worse.

Recently I had to take my mom to the emergency room when she collapsed. She's 91 years old and had been fighting a cold that she had already seen her doctor about. The emergency room doctor was concerned about her having pneumonia so, they did a blood work up, a chest X-ray and a nasal swab. When everything came back normal, they released her with a prescription for an inhaler. We were there for 4 hours and the bill for the hospital and the doctor is over $5,000. That's the problem...that's ridiculous!

Since my mom is 91, she's on Medicare and how much did Medicare pay?......10%. Obamacare will be paying the same rates as Medicare pays....as bad as $5,000 is, paying only $500 is just as ridiculous. This is why more and more doctors are dropping out of Medicare.
I have to agree. ER's charge a lot, a whole lot. I think we need more "Minute Clinics" which seem to be gaining ground, but one step further, why can't we have the Jiffy Lube shops for quick medical care. You pay 49.99, see a PA/Nurse Practitioner, get a shot, pill, off you go. If it gets serious, you go to the ER if not, you are ok. That is what I did oversears. I went to the local pharmacy for bad colds, flu, etc...quick check, pill, off I went,.

The medical community will fight it tooth and nail because they are making so much money.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:32 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Right you are.

They have to get supplemental health insurance because the state-run system sucks!
Do you live in Europe? My point is one pays taxes for basic care, most do not fall into cracks causing bankruptcy. Their healthcare is not hitched to a particular employer, their supplemental, copays, deductibles are way more affordable than our system. One has the choice to enhance their coverage in many European countries. Here in the States many with group coverage can not. If one is not content with their group coverage one can get independent coverage but lose the protections group enjoys. The US clearly has the worst cluster F^%$^ healthcare delivery system in the entire western world.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:44 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,821,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Right you are.

Actually the UK system beats the US one on every public health measure. Infant mortality, lifespan, years spent in good health, maternal mortality, years lost to ill health, amendable mortality, under-5 mortality, disability-adjusted lifespan, the lot.

The US system scores in the low 30s out of 40 developed nations. And the US taxpayer pay more for government healthcare than all but 3 nations.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
Actually the UK system beats the US one on every public health measure. Infant mortality, lifespan, years spent in good health, maternal mortality, years lost to ill health, amendable mortality, under-5 mortality, disability-adjusted lifespan, the lot.

The US system scores in the low 30s out of 40 developed nations. And the US taxpayer pay more for government healthcare than all but 3 nations.
As much as I favor a UCH, that is not true. The US does much better in cancer survival rates, and some other indicators as well, none of which I feel like looking up right now. That "score" was a great example of "how to lie with statistics". The US has one of the lowest smoking rates in the developed world, yet we have the second highest rate of death from lung disease? I don't think so!

Cancer Survival Rates Vary by Country
New Health Rankings: Of 17 Nations, U.S. Is Dead Last - Grace Rubenstein - The Atlantic

Old 04-27-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Do you live in Europe? My point is one pays taxes for basic care, most do not fall into cracks causing bankruptcy. Their healthcare is not hitched to a particular employer, their supplemental, copays, deductibles are way more affordable than our system. One has the choice to enhance their coverage in many European countries. Here in the States many with group coverage can not. If one is not content with their group coverage one can get independent coverage but lose the protections group enjoys. The US clearly has the worst cluster F^%$^ healthcare delivery system in the entire western world.

"Coleman and colleagues drew on data from nearly 2 million cancer patients, ages 15 to 99, whose medical information was entered into 101 population-based cancer registries in 31 countries. The patients had been diagnosed with one of four cancers: breast, colon, rectum, or prostate cancers during the years 1990-1994. They were followed up to 1999, with the researchers comparing five-year survival rates. The highest survival rates were found in the U.S."

Old 04-27-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post

Source?

Old 04-27-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As much as I favor a UCH, that is not true. The US does much better in cancer survival rates, and some other indicators as well, none of which I feel like looking up right now. That "score" was a great example of "how to lie with statistics". The US has one of the lowest smoking rates in the developed world, yet we have the second highest rate of death from lung disease? I don't think so!

New Health Rankings: Of 17 Nations, U.S. Is Dead Last - Grace Rubenstein - The Atlantic

Thanks for the links.

I think we are confusing health of the population with the quality of our medical system.

Americans drive more than people in other nations and as a result our average life span is reduced by traffic fatalities, especial those of young people.

We also eat less fish and more red meats than many of the nations listed, and that also impacts public health, but it has nothing to do with our medical apparatus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies