Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 07:27 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times

Advertisements

Blackpowder is pretty easy to make, and you only need charcoal, sulfur and saltpeter, all readily obtainable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 07:30 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
If I wanted facts the last thing I would use is Wikipedia, the Swiss have use taggants since the 80's, your Wikepedia, any problems.

Any time the NRA tries to protect us we should all be worried.
So Wikipedia doesn't have facts and you think that MSNBC does? That tells us all we need to know about you.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
So Wikipedia doesn't have facts and you think that MSNBC does? That tells us all we need to know about you.
Well Looky Looky! I don't know squat about black powder, but I can read wikipedia articles! Goodnight was right--except about wikipedia. Sometimes they get it right.

"Switzerland passed a law in 1980 requiring taggants in explosives manufactured there, and that the code must be changed every six months. So far it is the only country which requires identification taggants. Imported explosives must be tagged only if competing products are also manufactured in Switzerland."

It also goes on to say:

"The inclusion of detection taggants in explosives is mandatory in some countries. Following the bombing of PanAm 103 over Scotland, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) was instrumental in effecting a world wide requirement for placing a detection taggant in plastic bonded explosives."

Taggant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kind of blows the "we can't use it here" theory out of the water, doesn't it?

Old 04-18-2013, 07:44 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post

No, Princeton University

Old 04-18-2013, 07:47 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Blackpowder is pretty easy to make, and you only need charcoal, sulfur and saltpeter, all readily obtainable.
Yes home made bombs would not be detected, there is a still a value in tracing to other bombings that are from a manufacturer.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:49 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes home made bombs would not be detected, there is a still a value in tracing to other bombings that are from a manufacturer.
Even if it worked, you could trace it to manufacturer that makes probably hundreds of thousands of pounds of explosives that someone bought 5 pounds of at least 3 links down the supply chain, not exactly solving all the worlds problems

Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Even if it worked, you could trace it to manufacturer that makes probably hundreds of thousands of pounds of explosives that someone bought 5 pounds of, not exactly solving all the worlds problems
Again I have to remind somebody that logic is not allowed on these forums.
Only emotion may be used.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:56 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Even if it worked, you could trace it to manufacturer that makes probably hundreds of thousands of pounds of explosives that someone bought 5 pounds of, not exactly solving all the worlds problems
It would be a great help if you could determine what batch the explosives used in a crime came from and to what retail locations that batch was distributed.

Last edited by hammertime33; 04-18-2013 at 08:36 PM..

Old 04-18-2013, 08:02 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,042 times
What Americans really think. My daughter, a single mom with a young child, lived alone. A stanger threaten her and she was concerned about her safety and her child was concerned. The child said she did not have the power for security. I did not hear the child say that but I do know the child was afraid as I was able to visit the area later in the evening. I gave my daughter a gun after training at the range and additional instructions. I think most Americans would also be concerned about their daughter is such a situation and would have attempted to provide some response. Background checks would make such moves illegel. My daughter of course would pass a background check as she went on to secure a permit. The situation required a more timely response. However,the real concern with background check is eventual confiscation such as indicated by many currect elected officials. That would be tragedy for Americans as crime would change life as we know it. Support the NRA as they are one of the few groups fighting so hard to protect the average American.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:12 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I think every teenage boy in my generation tried to make black powder with those ingredients. Every pharmacy had to know what was up when teenagers come in and buy sulfur and potassium nitrate. I never had a lot of success, just made some flame and lots of smoke. Which is probably a good thing. We had better luck with Molotov Cocktails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies