Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Well Looky Looky! I don't know squat about black powder, but I can read wikipedia articles! Goodnight was right--except about wikipedia. Sometimes they get it right.

"Switzerland passed a law in 1980 requiring taggants in explosives manufactured there, and that the code must be changed every six months. So far it is the only country which requires identification taggants. Imported explosives must be tagged only if competing products are also manufactured in Switzerland."

It also goes on to say:

"The inclusion of detection taggants in explosives is mandatory in some countries. Following the bombing of PanAm 103 over Scotland, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) was instrumental in effecting a world wide requirement for placing a detection taggant in plastic bonded explosives."

Taggant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kind of blows the "we can't use it here" theory out of the water, doesn't it?
Ah...plastic explosives made and sold here DO contain taggants. Reading is FUNdamental. The NRA has never opposed that. Black powder however is far more commonly used as a propellant than an explosive, and is not tagged.
Quote:
Testing programs and studies conducted by government agencies and industry have concluded that minimal benefit is realized by law enforcement agencies as compared to the cost to the consumer of the tagged product.
Yep, sure sounds like the NRA is behind the decision not to place them in other materials, such as black powder or fertilizer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
If I wanted facts the last thing I would use is Wikipedia, the Swiss have use taggants since the 80's, your Wikepedia, any problems.

Any time the NRA tries to protect us we should all be worried.
Hmm, so I should put my faith in you or the Gubment to protect me?

No thanks.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:44 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Ah...plastic explosives made and sold here DO contain taggants. Reading is FUNdamental. The NRA has never opposed that. Black powder however is far more commonly used as a propellant than an explosive, and is not tagged. Yep, sure sounds like the NRA is behind the decision not to place them in other materials, such as black powder or fertilizer.
The NRA has opposed taggants, not even aruguable go ask ask the ATF, the NRA lobbied congress to defeat the ATF proposal. So because black powder is commonly used what's the issue. Sure sounds like the "only useful gun law is one that is 100% effective" argument.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:13 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Ah...plastic explosives made and sold here DO contain taggants. Reading is FUNdamental. The NRA has never opposed that. Black powder however is far more commonly used as a propellant than an explosive, and is not tagged. Yep, sure sounds like the NRA is behind the decision not to place them in other materials, such as black powder or fertilizer.
It is in Switzerland. That was my point. And the Op's point. Other than that, I fully admit to knowing nothing about it. Someone made the case that you can't put taggants in black powder, but at least one country mandates it.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:21 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
It is in Switzerland. That was my point. And the Op's point. Other than that, I fully admit to knowing nothing about it. Someone made the case that you can't put taggants in black powder, but at least one country mandates it.
Plastic explosive is completely different than black powder. They had problems with them causing static electricity which causes black powder to explode, not an issue in plastic or gel explosives.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Plastic explosive is completely different than black powder. They had problems with them causing static electricity which causes black powder to explode, not an issue in plastic or gel explosives.
It's used in black powder in Switzerland, at least for blasting powder. The point is that it CAN be done.
Black and Smokeless Powders: Technologies for Finding Bombs and the Bomb Makers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies