Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 03:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Cases of 2 others fired..one for championing gay marriage and the other for getting pregnant while single.

Breaching a Contract, Breaking Faith: Religious Freedom in Cincinnati
PURCELL MARIAN TEACHER UNDER FIRE FOR OPINIONS ON GAY MARRIAGE, reads the Cincinnati Enquirer headline. ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL AT CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL CHOOSES MARRIAGE EQUALITY OVER JOB, trumpets Queerty.

TEACHER FIRED FOR GETTING PREGNANT ‘THE WRONG WAY’ is one of many similar web post headings in the Christa Dias case. CHRISTA DIAS, MOTHER, FIRED FROM CATHOLIC SCHOOLS FOR USING ARTIFICIAL INSEMINATION, says HuffPost.

In both cases, the headlines are incorrect. Mike Moroski was not fired for expressing a personal opinion. Christa Dias was not fired for becoming pregnant. Both had their employment terminated for simple breach of contract.

Catholic schools employees in the Archdiocese of Cincinnati sign a contract agreeing that they will “comply with and act consistently in accordance with the stated philosophy and teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.” That’s not “the stated philosophy and teachings of the Roman Catholic Church that I accept, or as I interpret them.” There’s no clause that adds “except on my own time”—because the stated philosophy and teachings of the Roman Catholic Church guide all of life, 24/7. This contract, willingly signed by both Mr Moroski and Ms Dias, does not require that employees be members of the Catholic faith—Ms Dias is not; Mr Moroski, with 16+ years of Catholic education, says he “believes in Catholicism”—but it does require that employees live by Catholic moral teachings and exemplify them for their students.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:43 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
"Carla Hale of Powell, who worked at Bishop Watterson High School in Clintonville for 19 years, said she was fired in March after an anonymous parent complained that an obituary for Hale’s mother listed the name of Hale’s female domestic partner...her March 28 dismissal notice refers specifically to her relationship as the basis for her termination."

Backers rally for fired gay teacher | The Columbus Dispatch

Watterson’s firing of gay teacher may violate city law

What a disgusting thing for this school to do.
I agree.

This was dead wrong.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Do I think it's morally right? No. Would I do it? No. But she works for a religious school, which comes with certain expectations of acceptable behavior by employees from the employer. What she is doing is against their religion. Right or wrong, many of the parents send their kids to that particular school in order avoid people in situations like hers.
I can agree with everything up until the bold. I doubt parents are sending their kids to places like that just to be away from gay people.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:51 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Right or wrong? The school was wrong. Ms. Hale did not do anything illegal or inappropriate. She was just listed as a mourner in an obituary, along with her partner.

Hope she sues them.
The school wasn't wrong, they are a religious school. Taking employment with them means you are willing to teach children in accordance of their belief system, and definitely you should not go against it. When I said right or wrong, I was referring to the fact that you may not agree with parents sending their kids to that kind of school but they are allowed to. Not whether the school was right or wrong. You don't agree with their religious beliefs - then don't work there. Over the span of 19 years there would have been plenty of opportunities for her to transfer to a secular or public school that would not conflict with her chosen lifestyle - especially during the about 10 year time period that we had teacher shortages. Public schools even pay better and offer better benefits.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I can agree with everything up until the bold. I doubt parents are sending their kids to places like that just to be away from gay people.
Just? Probably not, but it is all part of a bigger, more socially conservative package that they are seeking for their child.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
from your link.

How is a PE teacher preaching their beliefs, teaching their faith, or carrying out their mission?
I don't recall dodgeball or calisthenics mentioned in the bible.
They are fulfilling their mission to educate young minds in a catholic environment and model catholic values. Teachers are an integral part of education.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:15 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
The world's largest cult can't trust a "suspected" lesbian to educate after 19 years of apparently doing a good job at it, yet happily covers up the criminal shenanigans of its sorcerers.

Although unfortunate, these events just advertise what a sham the whole operation is.
As I've said before, if the Catholic Church were a normal business, the state would have shut it down years ago. The idea of these people attempting to take the moral high ground on anything is absurd. When is the last time these folks picketed outside the Vatican, demanding that the hierarchy be held to account for enabling child-rapers for decades? What a bunch of phonies.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:17 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They are fulfilling their mission to educate young minds in a catholic environment and model catholic values. Teachers are an integral part of education.
They're a bunch of small-minded twits who lack the courage to call out criminals in their own organization. We'll listen to them after they first develop a moral compass.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
These days more send them to get away from the public schools than to get a religious education.
But years ago, yes, parents sent their children to religious school for an education both academic and religious.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
As I've said before, if the Catholic Church were a normal business, the state would have shut it down years ago. The idea of these people attempting to take the moral high ground on anything is absurd. When is the last time these folks picketed outside the Vatican, demanding that the hierarchy be held to account for enabling child-rapers for decades? What a bunch of phonies.
Really ?

Catholic Church attendance is down and trending down. This is a global trend.
Not everyone has to stage public protests.
There are other ways to "get your message across" cometclear and hitting them in the pocketbook is one way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies