Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 10:06 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,399,432 times

Advertisements

An AR-15 would be fine if you have a home out in the country/have property. In an apartment or home in an established neighborhood - I would recommend Taurus' "The Judge" that shoots both .45 and .410 shotgun rounds. I prefer a handgun over a shotgun for a home, but I think shotguns are more popular and certainly have more knockdown power. Either way, the Judge combines the best of both worlds - close quarter combat situation/CQB effectiveness (handguns are easier to bring to bear in CQB situations) and the punch of a shotgun (you won't need distance in a CQB situation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 10:08 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,658,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
This is a question. Don't get your panties in a wad if i don't use terminology you like.

Seems to me that shouldn't i be very concerned as in scared ****less should some one other than me be doing a home defense with a rifle?Years ago as like in the early 70's a friend had a AR-15 that was .223 caliber. He shot it right through a Bridge beam that was very thick from an old torn down bridge.
I am thinking that when someone starts shooting a rifle in housing or apartment areas then a lot of holes can be punched through walls( of people not involved other than living next door). Am i right?
Not to mention loved ones who are on the other side of the house, who might get shot as a bullet travels thru multiple walls in the house. A shotgun is the better choice, plus the pump action sound of the gun is intimidating to say the least.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 AM

602 posts, read 572,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
This is a question. Don't get your panties in a wad if i don't use terminology you like.

Seems to me that shouldn't i be very concerned as in scared ****less should some one other than me be doing a home defense with a rifle?Years ago as like in the early 70's a friend had a AR-15 that was .223 caliber. He shot it right through a Bridge beam that was very thick from an old torn down bridge.
I am thinking that when someone starts shooting a rifle in housing or apartment areas then a lot of holes can be punched through walls( of people not involved other than living next door). Am i right?
Over-penetration is definitely a problem, but it's a problem with other rounds as well. A .40S&W pistol round can over penetrate as well (in some cases more than a .223).

They make frangible ammo now that will break apart as soon as it hits something.

I have one but it's not what I would grab in the middle of the night if I needed it (indoors).
I would most likely go with my Beretta CX4 .40S&W carbine. 16" barrel so you get better accuracy and a couple hundred more FPS but its still a pistol round. Either that or a 12ga with heavy bird load.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:01 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,220,942 times
I live in a subdivision with many neighbors, and I have two sons that may or may not be asleep in their beds. A .223 rifle would be the LAST weapon I grabbed for home defense:

Handguns and .223: The Box O' Truth #1 - The Original Box O' Truth - Page 1
Shotguns: The Box O' Truth #3 - The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth - Page 1

Lots of other "box o' truth" tests on that site, including frangible rounds. Also shooting through other so-called "cover" objects such as car doors. My favorite is the .45-70 Shiloh Sharps buffalo gun that propels a bullet through 12 pieces of drywall (6 interior walls), a 1-gallon water jug, two pine boards, a brick wall, and keeps on going.

That being said, any weapon with enough energy (mass x velocity) to penetrate deep enough to stop a bad guy will also by default penetrate easily through interior walls. Know your target and don't miss.

I recommend a 12-ga or 20-ga with #3 buck or smaller if you live in an urban or semi-urban area. Do whatever you want if you live alone with at least a mile between houses.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:24 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,320,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
An AR-15 would be fine if you have a home out in the country/have property. In an apartment or home in an established neighborhood - I would recommend Taurus' "The Judge" that shoots both .45 and .410 shotgun rounds. I prefer a handgun over a shotgun for a home, but I think shotguns are more popular and certainly have more knockdown power. Either way, the Judge combines the best of both worlds - close quarter combat situation/CQB effectiveness (handguns are easier to bring to bear in CQB situations) and the punch of a shotgun (you won't need distance in a CQB situation).
There are some very knowledgeable people who have looked at 'The Judge' and given it a strong 'thumbs down.'

ArizonaShooting.com • View topic - Tom Givens take on the Taurus judge...

Old 04-19-2013, 11:33 AM

39,809 posts, read 26,403,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Not to mention loved ones who are on the other side of the house, who might get shot as a bullet travels thru multiple walls in the house. A shotgun is the better choice, plus the pump action sound of the gun is intimidating to say the least.
I would think that anyone that has a "home defense" shotgun and has to work the action to chamber a round after an intruder is in the house...has watched too much TV. Why give up 1 round of an already very limited magazine capacity? And why advertise your location to an intruder? No question about the effectiveness of a 12 ga though.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:34 AM

46,217 posts, read 26,980,998 times
Honestly, I think the left is just using "home defense with an AR-15" as a comment that very little on, and noone on the right has stated. ANd I don't think anyone the has guns left or right would ever claim this or try to get someone to use an AR as home defense.

Just another way the left tries to push their agenda. Remember "granny being push off a cliff."

Old 04-19-2013, 11:41 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,202,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Honestly, I think the left is just using "home defense with an AR-15" as a comment that very little on noone on the right has stated. ANd I don't think anyone the has guns left or right would ever claim this or try to get someone to use an AR as home defense.

Just another way the left tries to push their agenda. Remember "granny being push off a cliff."
Good catch! Yes it was a set-up. Why would you use a weapon like this for times described by Wayne after a hurricane etc. I would choose one of the many weapons that others have recommended, just common sense.
Not a damn thing with just liking them and wanting one and saying they are fun to shoot because they are.
I just get riled up when Wayne says we need them for reasons that have never came about or are not going too.

PS. I have owned guns since i was a kid.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:43 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,251,969 times
But they's trained boyz!!!!11!!

Cop Shoots Self in Foot - YouTube

Old 04-19-2013, 11:47 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,358,391 times
there are numerous tests out there showing a 55gr FMJ fired from a Modern Supporting Rifle has less penetration thru sheet rock than buckshot from a shotgun & most pistol ammo.
anyone who says otherwise is ignorant of the facts.

I personally use an suppressed M4 in 300BLK w/subsonic expanding ammo & 9" barrel.

God bless America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies