Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 12:41 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I am actually not sure what happened.
One doesnt need to read any further than the title of the thread to know what happened

here, I'll key slow for you

Student
suspended
arrested
over
gun
tshirt

Schools have had this policy for a very long time..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 12:42 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,033,620 times
Soon Colorado Rockies jerseys will be banned.

After all, the Rocky Mountains are just one giant rock - and rocks can be used as weapons.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:44 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,127,629 times
There's not enough info in that article to make an informed decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
One doesnt need to read any further than the title of the thread to know what happened

here, I'll key slow for you

Student
suspended
arrested
over
gun
tshirt

Schools have had this policy for a very long time..
The school in question did not have a policy against the NRA shirt.

9,127 posts, read 7,951,402 times
Quote:
The Logan County School District's dress code policy prohibits clothing that displays profanity, violence, discriminatory messages and more but nowhere in the document does it say anything about gun images.
If you want to claim rights, you'd better know what they are. The school district writes policy vaguely to cover their actions. Profanity, violence, and discriminatory messages are subjective terms. If a teacher questions your actions and give you an order, that did not give that young man the right to disobey an request or order. The young man was arrested for disobeying an order not for his gun shirt.

The young man's parents have ill prepared him to deal in the real world. If the young man's parents feel that the young man's rights were being violated, then they have the right to redress grievences. The Cosntitution provide a lawful process.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:46 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,951,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
There is a first amendment right to free speech.
Oh, I thought the 2nd amendment meant you could do anything gun related...are you sure?

Old 04-19-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Now a pop tart gnawed into the shape of a gun is a crime.
The kid said that it was a mountain.

I guess that art really is in the eye of the beholder.

If the beholder is a liberal - you might be suspended or arrested.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Oh, I thought the 2nd amendment meant you could do anything gun related...are you sure?
The second amendment says that "a well regulated militia, neccesary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

Only a loony lefty would think that a picture of a gun on a t-shirt constitutes an "arm".

This is a First Amendment issue.

Don't be obtuse.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:52 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,387,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Well the exact policy isn't listed in the article, but I'm sure that it doesn't specifically mention guns. They will probably try to say it falls under "displaying violence" messages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
The young man's parents have ill prepared him to deal in the real world. If the young man's parents feel that the young man's rights were being violated, then they have the right to redress grievences. The Cosntitution provide a lawful process.
I feel the same way. The student handled this wrong and the parents seem to be encouraging it. I wish my son would get suspended over a T-shirt. I would be 50 shades of pissed at him.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:54 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I'm sure they had a policy of no weapons, and while we'll both agree that a tshirt isnt a weapon, neither is drawing a picture of a gun on paper, which they dont allow either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies