Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 07:51 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,660,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You are giving data for NONFATAL workplace injuries. Texas leads the nation in FATAL workplace injuries.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics doesn't support this.

The national occupational fatality rate is 3.5 deaths per 100,000 full-time workers (2009).

Rates for various states:

Texas -- 4.4
Georgia -- 2.8
Kentucky -- 6.0
Louisiana -- 8.0
Tennessee -- 4.0
Arkansas --6.4

Rates change from year to year but they usually not too much.

There were 4,619 people killed in occupational fatalities in the U.S. in 2011 , probably at least half of them were preventable. And thousands more maimed and injured. That's far more than are killed by terrorists, yet occupational fatality doesn't get any media coverage or concern. I'll bet we spend more on Homeland Security in a month than we spend on Occupational Safety in a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 07:57 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,236,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The Bureau of Labor Statistics doesn't support this.

The national occupational fatality rate is 3.5 deaths per 100,000 full-time workers (2009).

Rates for various states:

Texas -- 4.4
Georgia -- 2.8
Kentucky -- 6.0
Louisiana -- 8.0
Tennessee -- 4.0
Arkansas --6.4

Rates change from year to year but they usually not too much.

There were 4,619 people killed in occupational fatalities in the U.S. in 2011 , probably at least half of them were preventable. That's over 10 people a day, far more than are killed by terrorists, yet occupational fatality doesn't get any media coverage or concern. I'll bet we spend more on Homeland Security in a month than we spend on Occupational Safety in a year.
Fixed your calculation error.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Fixed your calculation error.
I get 12.65

Old 04-21-2013, 08:45 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,503,638 times
"....there have been at least 17 major fatal ammonium nitrate explosions around the globe since 1921, as The Guardian reports. Many have occurred overseas, including in France and Australia."

"The hose water might have set off the anhydrous ammonia, creating a chain reaction. Under normal conditions, ammonia is not explosive. ..Likewise, ammonium nitrate is rated as non-flammable and since it doesn’t detonate under normal conditions (i.e., when it’s not in the presence of fuel oil), it’s generally regarded to be safe."

What caused a massive, deadly explosion at a Texas fertilizer plant? | The Verge

----------------

This is very, very, unfortunate. I was surprised there have been 17 prior incidents (if this is what happened here) globally in 92 years (5 prior in the US, and 2 of those in plants - 1924 and 1994). Most were transport accidents - train, truck, ship.

And, water from the fire hoses could have contributed???

Fertilizer explosions listed and US facilities mapped | News | guardian.co.uk

Old 04-21-2013, 10:02 PM

At least 14 people dead, 200 injured, and another 60 unaccounted for in the blast.

Yet nobody seems outraged by this explosion even though the plant was in flagrant violation of Homeland Security regulations. DHS didn't even know this plant existed!

"Records from the Texas Department of State Health Services showed the facility stored 270 tons of ammonium nitrate as recently as last year. Homeland Security regulations require fertlizer plants to notify federal officials if they hold more than 400 pounds. But according to Reuters, neither state authorities nor officials at West Fertilizer shared their findings with DHS."

The owners of this plant should go to prison for life just like the Boston bomber.

Lawmaker: Texas fertilizer plant ‘was willfully off the grid’ | The Raw Story

Old 04-21-2013, 10:33 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,274,273 times
Quote:
At least 14 people dead, 200 injured, and another 60 unaccounted for in the blast.

Yet nobody seems outraged by this explosion even though the plant was in flagrant violation of Homeland Security regulations. DHS didn't even know this plant existed!

"Records from the Texas Department of State Health Services showed the facility stored 270 tons of ammonium nitrate as recently as last year. Homeland Security regulations require fertlizer plants to notify federal officials if they hold more than 400 pounds. But according to Reuters, neither state authorities nor officials at West Fertilizer shared their findings with DHS."

The owners of this plant should go to prison for life just like the Boston bomber.

Lawmaker: Texas fertilizer plant ‘was willfully off the grid’ | The Raw Story
How do you imprison a corporation?

Old 04-21-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The owners of the plant should go to prison for the rest of their lives.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:30 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,274,273 times
Quote:
The owners of the plant should go to prison for the rest of their lives.
Why the owners and not the firefighters that sprayed water? Convicted killers don't even get that long. Besides, the owners are shielded from liability. I own stock in Alcoa, but I'm not responsible for their actions.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Why the owners and not the firefighters that sprayed water? Convicted killers don't even get that long. Besides, the owners are shielded from liability. I own stock in Alcoa, but I'm not responsible for their actions.

Why should owners of facilities that don't follow proper safety laws or in this case, Homeland Security regulations, be shielded from prosecution?

The same principle applies to the bankers who brought on the financial crisis, and none of them went to prison. They knowingly did wrong, and walked away with bonuses, and the American people lost their jobs and their homes. I think it stinks.

I'm not talking about shareholders, I'm talking about the owners of privately owned companies, and CEOs. And in the case of the Texas plant, whoever was responsible for those enormous amounts of ammonium nitrate, and failed to report them to the DHS.

As for the firefighters, they should have known that, especially since the plant was a big presence in their community.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:52 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,387,961 times
Quote:
Now that they are persons, you exclude them the Stock Exchange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies