Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 12:04 PM

33,592 posts, read 18,213,853 times

Advertisements

They said it was a 20 block area .With the amount of manforce I saw, you would think they had at least 20 men to a block to find him. And they needed a tip from a homeowner to find him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 12:05 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,243,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The TSA guys always manage to confiscate my shampoo if its even 1/10th of an ounce over the limit.

There is a TSA warehouse somewhere with 10 billion confiscated fingernail clippers and pen knives.

I do wonder how they apparently searched the boat and missed him.

In total I think they did a good job given the pressure and emotions.
Did they search the boat?
I don't recall hearing anything about that.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:17 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,364,521 times
As a failure? No. They got the bad guys before they did more damage.
This should be a wake up call for people to have a way to protect themselves though.
Too many posters here obviously watch too many movies. It doesn't always work out an less than 2 hrs.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,964,372 times
No I see law enforcemnt doig a good job uncer our system. Not that long ago it certainly wouldn;t have resulted i such quick arrest.But i a free society the real questio ius just now safe we want to be as to what is needed to egt those results. For instances the cahnces of beig a victim of terrorism as to injury or death are 3.5 million to 1. The chance for same results i being on the roadway in a vehicle is 8K to 1.Just as we have seen in supreme court ruling in family violence arrest even they consider what is needed to enforce the laws effectively.Doesn't have to do with proable cause but how arrest is applied under law.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:36 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,265,186 times
We live in an open and free society. Sh*t happens. Get over it. Not the first time, won't be the last time.

Just live each day as if it's your last, and hope that it's not you that becomes a victim. That's all you can do.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:38 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,863,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Please tell me what in the individuals background, would have stopped him from obtaining a gun?

If you cant, then yes, YOU FAILED.
The younger one was only a citizen since 9/11/12. Should a background check for gun ownership require that the purchaser be an US citizen for a certain length of time?

Old 04-20-2013, 12:42 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,204,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The younger one was only a citizen since 9/11/12. Should a background check for gun ownership require that the purchaser be an US citizen for a certain length of time?
No, a background check to become a citizen should have uncovered any information that would have limited them from owning a gun, right?

Thats similar to saying adopted people shouldnt be allowed a gun..

Old 04-20-2013, 12:43 PM

24,449 posts, read 23,124,128 times
I'd like to know why Lord and Taylor has a security cam thats vastly superior to ones used at the Pentagon a decade ago, but thats another story.
Epic failure: Craft International. These black ops guys had this go down right in front of them, right under their noses. PLEASE tell me we don't contract these guys out for private security at overseas embassies or other events. The Mayor of Boston has some explaining to do on why they were there and how much they were paid.
Richard Jewell was a rent a cop at probably 7 bucks an hour and he prevented the Atlanta Olympic bombing.
Success: The media and the citizenry. Get the information out, don't hide details and the people will be your eyes and ears. Thats what broke this wide open and flushed these guys out into the open. They got the DC Sniper as soon as the description was made public( against the wishes of law enforcement). Withholding information only leads to rumors and misiniformation so don't do it.
Feds: success and failure. It sounds like they dropped the ball not keeping an eye on the older POS brother and maybe we have to rethink our policy of letting in anybody who asks for asylum. We certainly can have background checks on immigrants and can tighten border security and deport more than we do. But the feds did put a lot of effort into investigating the case even if they didn't quite get the public involved as quickly as they might have.
Failure: The media. They ran with wild rumors and had biases that didn't help. Some wanted it to be home grown right wingers, some blamed arabs right off the bat. That it was moslem extremists was always the most likely but islam is across the globe and you can't just blame arabs.
Success: Surveillance cameras and photos. People should take all the videos and photos they want, although certainly they will still be open to legal ramifications if its abused. But the feds and police have also got to accept that THEY'LL be videotaped and photographed as well and had better be okay with it. Private citizens with spy drones? YEP.
Success and failure: The internet. It sparked some rumors but the people are so vastly better off having instant access to information and to be able share opinions that this was mostly positive. ANY attempt to curtail this is working against the best interests of the american people. So hands off the internet, you goose steppers.
Now we have to see if the Justice Department fails or succeeds with the court case. Their track record is pretty sketchy at best so we have to hope political issues don't trump justice being served.
Success and failure: Obama. He actually made one of his better speeches, a good one. His past regarding terror and bombing is pretty cloudy and more than a little weak so its hard to see him really taking this and making a crusade. He's had some black eyes recently so it might be best for him to just back off this and regroup. Then again, making an effort to take terror seriously would be an improvement over other things he's been wasting time promoting.
Success and failure: Russians and chechnyans. The uncle seemed like a straight up guy and immigrants like him are always welcome here. But that part of the world sure has more than its fair share of losers, it seems.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Well if only we'd outlaw explosives, then no one would have them.

I just hate when people use aholes of society, to try to legislate crap for honest citizens.. The stupidity of that is astounding.
Background checks for gun purchases are already being done on honest citizens. It is the aholes felons and criminals who get guns through the background check loop-hole.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
No, a background check to become a citizen should have uncovered any information that would have limited them from owning a gun, right?

Thats similar to saying adopted people shouldnt be allowed a gun..
People, who are adopted from another country, are too young to purchase a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies