Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 07:48 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times

Advertisements

I've been to the Czech Republic and Slovakia. I LOVED it! Prague is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, and the little towns between Prague and Bratislava are like hidden jewels. I really like Brno as well.

The people are very, very friendly and polite - just the right mixture of pleasant and reserved. Very dignified in general. My dad thinks that Czech women are some of the most beautiful women in the world.

I also liked the food. The Cyrillic language however is pretty difficult, but in spite of that, we were able to get around easily enough. No one spoke English (this was twenty years ago, right after the fall of the Berlin Wall) but between our butchered German and their butchered German we managed somehow to communicate! It was all done in good humor by both parties and the exchanges were inevitably full of laughter!

It was a very pleasant trip and I'd love to repeat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 07:56 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,903,529 times
I learned an interesting thing when I was in Prague on vacation several years ago: the beautiful hand-cut crystal is made there and not in Ireland (and my crystal stemware, decanters, vases are all Waterford or Galway or Cavan Irish Crystal), or Poland or anywhere else. One Czech crystal company, called Moser, makes stemware so magnificent it is the one owned by Queen Elizabeth II, and most other royalty and heads of state.

Oh, and isn't the famous Pilsner beer originally from there?

Old 04-20-2013, 08:26 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,563,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Oh, and isn't the famous Pilsner beer originally from there?

Yes indeed - the town of Pilsen (Plzeň), home of some really really fine suds.

Though, for Americans, the Bohemian town of Budweis (České Budějovice) is probably better known in beer terms - for having been the inspiration for that insipid, unremarkable imitation of the genuine local stuff, Budweiser. After the fall of the Communist regime, the original genuine Budweis brewery sued the American Bud for about a century's worth of copyright infringement, a suit eventually settled out of court when American Bud agreed to contribute a vast amount of money to the real Budweiser Brewery's modernization, in return for the real Budweiser's agreement to sell its product in the U.S. as "Czechwar" beer.

So, track down a bar pouring "Czechwar" and enjoy the original Bohemian Budweiser!

Old 04-20-2013, 08:54 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,189,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
Almost no one in America cares what you call it, you need to take it up with Vladamir.
Do you mean Vladamir Putin? He's the President of Russia, which is a completely different country than the Czech Republic...

Old 04-21-2013, 12:29 AM

29,198 posts, read 22,263,933 times
My favorite banjo was made in Prague. (the Czechs are the best craftsmen in Europe, and oddly, are big bluegrass fans)

I know the guy who made it personally, and he's never once mentioned Bohemia to me. He always refers to his home as the Czech Republic. The 'the' is optional- when asked where he lives, he always says "Prague, Czech Republic".

It's natural enough for old folks who immigrated here when the nation was still called Czechoslovakia to use the old name. Things change back home, but in their minds, it always remains as it was when they left forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies