Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 09:50 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyLimePie2015 View Post
I keep saying the same thing. There are a number of homosexual men who ARE interested and attracted to teenage boys. Do you really think homosexual men will not make any passes at the boys who they find attractive? I seriously doubt it.
You keep saying the same IGNORANT thing.

There are a number of heterosexual men who ARE interested and attracted to teenage girls. Do you really think heterosexual men will not make any passes at the girls who they find attractive? Do you seriously doubt it....

Old 04-21-2013, 09:55 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Gays however believe that their sexual orientation should be broadcasted to the larger BSA Christian community and fully accepted. Anything short of full acceptance is homophobic, according to gay activists. It's no longer about "are you bringing the folding chairs," it's about, "I'm gay and you'd better not have a problem with me discussing my sexual orientation or my partner whenever and wherever I wish."
Most gay parents are not gay activists. I have a personal detente on this issue. I lost half my den last year because the families were protesting the gay issues. Since about a third to half of the scout packs have religious sponsors, I don't expect them to endorse/embrace homosexuality. However, I don't think the nonreligious packs (our is sponsored by the Lion's Club) should have to conform to their beliefs. Each pack should be able to set its standards based on its values.

I repeat, as a Cub Scout leader, this topic just does not affect our work, at all, in practical terms.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 04-21-2013 at 10:40 AM..

Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
To my recollection, Jesus never encountered homosexuals in the bible. And I have read the bible through cover-to-cover every year since 1986 or so. Please point this passage out to and enlighten me. And please don't quote the bible unless you live by it. Thank you. As far as the Boy Scouts are concerned, that remains to be seen. There is still a vote coming up on that. I guess what always intrigues me is why the homosexual activitsts (and NO, I am not talking ALL or even a majority of homosexuals, just the ones pushing this issue) want into an organization that clearly does not want them there when they could start their own parallel organization (ie: the "Rainbow Scouts" or something similar where gays/lesbians are accepted and celebrated without question). This leads me to believe that it is NOT about normalizing/being accepted but something much more sinister at work in their movement.
You seem not to be able to understand that not all gays want to be in the scouts, but some scouts and scout leaders, whom love scouting, and happen to be gay do.

Im not gay, Im not in the scouts, Im not a scout leader. I dont have a vote in this matter. So in support of those that love scouting and happen to be homosexual, I say this...

The scouts are being asked to change. They are a private organization; they in fact dont have to change. I believe the BSA, sees that they cannot live by their creed and keep scouts that love scouting out.

Gays dont want to be in the scouts. Scouts that happen to be homosexual do.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:58 AM

147 posts, read 113,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
You keep saying the same IGNORANT thing.

There are a number of heterosexual men who ARE interested and attracted to teenage girls. Do you really think heterosexual men will not make any passes at the girls who they find attractive? Do you seriously doubt it....
You haven't read this thread. I've repeatedly stated that many heterosexual guys are attracted to pretty teenage girls. Most however do not act on it, due to the statutory rape laws in place. But let's keep this in perspective, heterosexual guys are not asking to lead a group of girl scouts into the woods for an overnight camping expedition, like gay men are demanding with the boy scouts.

Heck, if people think it's perfectly ok for openly gay men to take a group of boy scouts into the woods, then as far as I'm concerned, openly hetero men should be allowed to take girl scouts into the woods overnight too. Equality for all, right?

Old 04-21-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
You seem not to be able to understand that not all gays want to be in the scouts, but some scouts and scout leaders, whom love scouting, and happen to be gay do.

Im not gay, Im not in the scouts, Im not a scout leader. I dont have a vote in this matter. So in support of those that love scouting and happen to be homosexual, I say this...

The scouts are being asked to change. They are a private organization; they in fact dont have to change. I believe the BSA, sees that they cannot live by their creed and keep scouts that love scouting out.

Gays dont want to be in the scouts. Scouts that happen to be homosexual do.
If the bolded sentence was true, then the gay scouts would simply focus on scouting and not broadcasting their sexual orientation to BSA and the media. As it stands, any boy can join the scouts, but BSA does not want scouts to broadcast their sexual orientation for political expediency.

These rules seem very simple. After all, scouting shouldn't be about sexual orientation, so the question is, why have gays decided to make this an issue?

Old 04-21-2013, 10:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Let each have their own groups and then everyone is happy.
Isn't that the more tolerant thing to do ?

Why must it be one way or another ?
Let both co-exist and do their own thing.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:13 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
If the bolded sentence was true, then the gay scouts would simply focus on scouting and not broadcasting their sexual orientation to BSA and the media. As it stands, any boy can join the scouts, but BSA does not want scouts to broadcast their sexual orientation for political expediency.

These rules seem very simple. After all, scouting shouldn't be about sexual orientation, so the question is, why have gays decided to make this an issue?
Then to be fair, all boy scouts should have to refrain from mentioning that they have a girlfriend, or that they have a date, or are going to the prom. Why should a boy who is gay, hide in a closet to appease those who do not have to? It sends the message that only straights regardless of age have freedoms to be true to themselves.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Then to be fair, all boy scouts should have to refrain from mentioning that they have a girlfriend, or that they have a date, or are going to the prom. Why should a boy who is gay, hide in a closet to appease those who do not have to? It sends the message that only straights regardless of age have freedoms to be true to themselves.
Based on what I've read, I don't think scouts are encouraged to discuss their girlfriends or sex for that matter, because that is not the intended purpose of the organization. Obviously, there will be some boys who will discuss their girlfriends, but let's keep it in perspective. Conversations are usually between one or more persons that are interested in engaging with each other. If a boy wants to discuss his girlfriend or prom and he has a willing audience who wants to hear about her, so be it. The question is whether gay males have that willing audience who wants to hear about their partner, within the general BSA Christian community.

If they have the willing audience, I don't see a problem, but the fact remains that most are uninterested in hearing about homosexual relationships or sexual encounters. Girls may be more understanding and interested in treating all relationships as "equal," but most heterosexual boys and men are not.

If boys decide to shun a gay scout because they don't want to hear about his boyfriend, does that make them a bigot, or just someone who is uninterested in partaking in that particular conversation?

Old 04-21-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
You haven't read this thread. I've repeatedly stated that many heterosexual guys are attracted to pretty teenage girls. Most however do not act on it, due to the statutory rape laws in place. But let's keep this in perspective, heterosexual guys are not asking to lead a group of girl scouts into the woods for an overnight camping expedition, like gay men are demanding with the boy scouts.

Heck, if people think it's perfectly ok for openly gay men to take a group of boy scouts into the woods, then as far as I'm concerned, openly hetero men should be allowed to take girl scouts into the woods overnight too. Equality for all, right?
Yes, I agree. There's no reason why my husband could not have been a scout leader for my daughter's girl scout troop, had she been a girl scout when she was a teenager.

You seriously believe that heterosexual men who find a teenage girl attractive refrain from acting on that attraction because of statutory rape laws? In most states, statutory rape laws apply to same sex relationships, so boys would be equally as protected (according to your logic) as girls are.

Last edited by ray1945; 04-21-2013 at 11:05 AM..

Old 04-21-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Let each have their own groups and then everyone is happy.
Isn't that the more tolerant thing to do ?

Why must it be one way or another ?
Let both co-exist and do their own thing.
You mean, "separate but equal"? We know how well that works, don't we....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies