Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you willing to give up some constitutional rights to feel safe?
I would rather not have any security checks at airports and take my chances on the flight. 64 68.09%
I would be willing to submit to a search without probable cause so that my fight will be safer. 30 31.91%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:31 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times

Advertisements

I have seen a number of posts lately stating that we are too willing to give up our freedom for safety. Many of these posts quote;

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Are you willing to give up security checks at the airport as this infringes on our the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution to feel safe in airplanes?

Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution:
Quote:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 10:34 AM

79 posts, read 80,717 times
You've actually asked two different questions.

The answer to the first question is: NO.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:41 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subconscious View Post
You've actually asked two different questions.

The answer to the first question is: NO.
The security search at airports is an example of a constitutional right people have waived for safety. If your answer is no, then I assume you are for no searches being done at airports of all passengers. Am I correct?

Old 04-21-2013, 10:43 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
One easy way to protect our way of life is limit Muslim migration to this country yet you liberals don't want to do that. So here we are at a crossroads.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:44 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Sorry, I can't vote, because I do not go to airports, and I do not get on airplanes.
I am a licensed A&P mechanic, and I worked in an aircraft factory. I know how they are built, and I know how they are maintained. I want nothing to do with them.
Besides, I stay away from people who imply that "We KNOW you are a criminal, it is up to YOU to prove us wrong!"

Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I have seen a number of posts lately stating that we are too willing to give up our freedom for safety. Many of these posts quote;

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Are you willing to give up security checks at the airport as this infringes on our the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution to feel safe in airplanes?

I always preferred Ben Franklins quote about Liberty and safety.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:47 AM

1,160 posts, read 713,605 times
Quote:

TSA is a bad argument. You have the option to not be searched simply by not choosing to fly. Your argument would be a lot better if somehow the TSA/government forced you to fly.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:47 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:

you argument is moot for a few reasons, not the least of which is that flying is a privilege not a right. the fourth amendment against unreasonable search and seizures was to prevent law enforcement from being able to walk into you home at anytime they wish and search your property. not stop them from searching you to prevent you from carrying contraband onto an airplane. when you buy that airline ticket, you agree to follow the rules set down by the airlines and the government.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Not enough choices.

Why should the American people be required to give up freedoms because the immigration policies are so very lax that these Islamic terrorists are being brought into this country and even given refugee welfare handouts?

We simply did not need these people living here. They should have stayed in Chechnya -- but the government brought them in and even gave them food stamps and free housing, and even financial aid for college while Americans are going without.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:51 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
TSA is a bad argument. You have the option to not be searched simply by not choosing to fly.

that is why I drive instead of flying. I also tell the TSA vipr teams to get lost too.
the security checks at airports wont get any better until more people drive and less fly.
when the airlines really feel it in their pocketbook, then the TSA will end up going away, not until that happens will it change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies