Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 05:38 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,568 times

Advertisements

While this is after the fact, the people should be compensated by the corporation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 05:45 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
More people were killed and injured by this blast than the Boston bombing.

I think the owners of this plant should be sent to prison, but I'll bet they won't be.

We do have home-grown terrorists, and some of them are corporations.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post

I think the owners of this plant should be sent to prison, but I'll bet they won't be.

This is negligence. Not terrorism.... at least from a legal perspective.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:52 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post

But because they are profit seekers with their only allegiance to bonuses and shareholder pay, they will get a pass on lack of personal responsibility.

If it was anyone else, like one of the little people, accident or not, it would not be excepted.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is negligence. Not terrorism.... at least from a legal perspective.
If someone did not have their headlights on and ran into someone and killed or maimed them, they would be held accountable, unless of course they had lots of money and a good lawyer, like one case where an investor ran over a cyclist....

Accident as it may be, it was involuntary manslaughter. The company failed due diligence and personal responsibility in storing this material.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:04 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
If someone did not have their headlights on and ran into someone and killed or maimed them, they would be held accountable, unless of course they had lots of money and a good lawyer, like one case where an investor ran over a cyclist....

Accident as it may be, it was involuntary manslaughter. The company failed due diligence and personal responsibility in storing this material.
How do you jail a corporation? The investors are shielded from liability.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:05 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Another case of self-regulation gone amuck.
When will our government learn NOT to trust companies and to adequately fund their rules and stop relying on this self-reporting and self-regulation ?

In this case the DHS is the regulator because it's fertilizer. But it was up to the company to notify DHS.
DHS assumes if a company doesn't notify then they don't need to be regulated by them.

Haven't we learned our lesson yet about "self regulation" ?

FWIW I am in the other thread defending the request for disaster aid because that is for the community, the people to help get their lives back to normal a little quicker.

But this company deserves to be shut down for good over what they did..they had over 1000 times what they were supposed to have at that plant. If they played by the rules that accident would not have cause the sheer amount of damage that it did.

The owners aren't talking to the press either.

Texas fertilizer company didn't heed disclosure rules before blast
The fertilizer plant that exploded on Wednesday, obliterating part of a small Texas town and killing at least 14 people, had last year been storing 1,350 times the amount of ammonium nitrate that would normally trigger safety oversight by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
Firms are responsible for self reporting the volumes of ammonium nitrate and other volatile chemicals they hold to the DHS, which then helps measure plant risks and devise security and safety plans based on them.

Since the agency never received any so-called top-screen report from West Fertilizer, the facility was not regulated or monitored by the DHS under its CFAT standards, largely designed to prevent sabotage of sites and to keep chemicals from falling into criminal hands.
Me thinks me smells some BS.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post

Also not legally terrorism.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Me thinks me smells some BS.
You think Reuters now makes up stories ?

Old 04-21-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
How do you jail a corporation? The investors are shielded from liability.
Corporations are people. They should be liable under the same conditions any other person is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies