Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hip Hop-Art or Poison?
Art 23 44.23%
Poison 29 55.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 06:33 PM

910 posts, read 1,317,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Same goes with most rap today.....I think rap is at that same point right now.....
It comes and goes in cycles. Late 90s rap was boring and lame. When the Dirty South took over it became exciting again, but now there's a holding pattern where there's no big movement pushing things a certain way. The influence of fruity European EDM hasn't helped either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 06:34 PM

33,523 posts, read 18,117,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple rage View Post
there are alot of old fuddy duddies on here who hate rap
If you live long enough you will be a fuddy duddie too... hey,, the kids of today many of them listen to the old school music .. most movies pick it up,, more commercials play it because the junk today is so lousy... Do Wop, southern rock, motown , 50's , 60's and 70's music makes rap sound like noise.. it's not music.. and the pop junk today has no beat, no rhythm, just some baby bubble gum sound that is awful.So fortunate to live in the best era of music .

Old 04-21-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
If you live long enough you will be a fuddy duddie too... hey,, the kids of today many of them listen to the old school music .. most movies pick it up,, more commercials play it because the junk today is so lousy... Do Wop, southern rock, motown , 50's , 60's and 70's music makes rap sound like noise.. it's not music.. and the pop junk today has no beat, no rhythm, just some baby bubble gum sound that is awful.So fortunate to live in the best era of music .
Only if you're a No Fun Club jerk. Plenty of people are capable of appreciating stuff from before their time, what they grew up with, and new stuff.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
Only if you're a No Fun Club jerk. Plenty of people are capable of appreciating stuff from before their time, what they grew up with, and new stuff.
I also listened to the forties music and appreciated it... Disco was good too and Donna Summer RIP was and always will be Queen of Disco.. Rap never was good. and I mean NEVER.. Today's POP has dragging notes, no melody, sounds awful...I believe that was an off shoot of Hooty and the Blowfish whose sound was different, but then they ran with it and did an exaggerated sound off his work..and dragging pop was born.. I love music and am very open minded but the rap and pop of today are bad.

Nice sound of the seventies..

Stevie Wonder "Heaven Help Us All" - YouTube

Old 04-21-2013, 07:06 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,114,528 times
Quote:
I also listened to the forties music and appreciated it... Disco was good too and Donna Summer RIP was and always will be Queen of Disco.. Rap never was good. and I mean NEVER.. Today's POP has dragging notes, no melody, sounds awful...I believe that was an off shoot of Hooty and the Blowfish whose sound was different, but then they ran with it and did an exaggerated sound off his work..and dragging pop was born.. I love music and am very open minded but the rap and pop of today are bad.

Nice sound of the seventies..

Stevie Wonder "Heaven Help Us All" - YouTube
It spread all the way around the world. It's hard to argue against its importance.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:07 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,318,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If you are a true fan of Miles then you would know that the FIRST person to disagree with you would be Miles himself or did you completely miss Mile's final recording, Doo-Bop?

And what of Gil Scott-Heron the forefather and one of the most sampled artist in hip-hop.
Sadly, Scott-Heron was too strung out all his life to defend his work, but Miles would have smacked the crap out of anyone who dared to sample his stuff without permission first and some sweet royalties. He was a tough old bastard.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I also listened to the forties music and appreciated it... Disco was good too and Donna Summer RIP was and always will be Queen of Disco.. Rap never was good. and I mean NEVER..
That sounds like a personal problem.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:11 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,360,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Kendrick Lamar's "Good Kid" describes what its like to grow up in a neighborhood of gangs or tough guys. What its like to not be a gangbanger and still try to live a respectable life. Most of America knows nothing about what its like to deal with people who will seriously hurt you or even kill you in some instances. There are those who get caught up in the gang life out of fear, not the willingness to commit crimes.

Pretty powerful song 1st time I heard it.

[Hook: Pharrell Williams]
Mass hallucination baby
Ill education baby
Want to reconnect with your elations
This is your station baby

[Verse 1]
Look inside these walls and you see them having withdrawals
Of a prisoner on his way
Trapped inside your desire
To fire bullets that stray
Track attire just tell you I'm tired and ran away
I should ask a choir what do you require
To sing a song that acquire me to have faith
As the record spin I should pray
For the record I recognize that I'm easily prey
I got ate alive yesterday
I got animosity building
It's probably big as a building
Me jumping off of the roof
Is me just playing it safe
But what am I supposed to do
When the topic is red or blue
And you understand that I ain't
But know I'm accustomed to
Just a couple that look for trouble
And live in the street with rank
No better picture to paint than me walking from bible study
And called his homies because he had said he noticed my face
From a function that tooken place
They was wondering if I bang
Step on my neck and get blood on your Nike checks
I don't mind because one day you'll respect
The good kid, m.A.A.d. city

[Hook]

2nd verse is about being caught in between the gangs and the police. The gangs won't let you pass safely in your own neighborhood, and the police treat you like a criminal in your own neighborhood. It's a catch 22.

After avoiding the gang life your still profiled and treated like a criminal by the police.

[Verse 2]
All I see is strobe lights, blinding me in my hindsight
Finding me by myself, promise me you can help
In all honesty I got time to be copacetic until
You had finally made decision to hold me against my will
It was like a head on collision that folded me standing still
I can never pick out the difference and grade a cop on the bill
Every time you clock in the morning, I feel you just want to kill
All my innocence while ignoring my purpose to persevere as a better person
I know you heard this and probably in fear
But what am I supposed to do with the blinking of red and blue
Flash from the top of your roof and your dog has to say woof
And you ask, "Lift up your shirt" cause you wonder if a tattoo
Of affiliation can make it a pleasure to put me through
Gang files, but that don't matter because the matter is racial profile
I heard them chatter: "He's probably young but I know that he's down"
Step on his neck as hard as your bullet proof vest
He don't mind, he know we'll never respect, the good kid, m.A.A.d. city

[Hook]

[Verse 3]
All I see in this room: 20 Xanies and these 'shrooms
Grown-up candy for pain, can we live in a sane society
It's entirely stressful upon my brain
You hired me as a victim, I quietly hope for change
When violence is the rhythm, inspired me to obtain
The silence in this room with 20 Xanies and 'shrooms
Some grown-up candy I lost it, I feel it's nothing to lose
The streets sure to release the worst side of my best
Don't mind, cause now you ever in debt to good kid, m.A.A.d. city

[Hook]

And the end result.
Its a good thing you explained it because I would bet the majority of the forum would not know what this mess meant. This looks to me as some really bad nursery rhymes, but to each his own. I sing rap sometimes myself but it is mostly poking fun of the stupidity of the song. I would give you a example but most words are disallowed in the forum.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
It spread all the way around the world. It's hard to argue against its importance.
Let me tell you how bad things become popular... money.. influence , and support and lots of hype.. it then becomes addictive.. if there is nothing else offered.

If one put all the music in a time capsule it would have to stand on its merit to the new listeners.. rap would not stand.. it was hyped, supported and played for decades... with nothing else to take its place other than going back to good music.. it is at the end of the road till someone figures out how to get back to good music again.. many want the old school sound back.. the younger ones are on youtube wishing they had the music of the past..they lost many listeners and radio is becoming obsolete...

Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
That sounds like a personal problem.
No problem. just have ears to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies