Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hip Hop-Art or Poison?
Art 23 44.23%
Poison 29 55.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 03:29 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,625,136 times

Advertisements

I'm an advocate Hip Hop listener and an artist, and I say both lol, mainly art though, but it sure can be poisonous. I can see how some of it can be misinterpreted or jus fairly interpreted as a negative msg. Having said that, even gangsta rap got some great points and u gotta read between the lines and not take erything literally. I feel like quality Hip Hop raises important issues and teaches life in a lot of ways, and u jus gotta take the good with the bad, but take the good out and apply it. Some say it encourages criminal behavior, and I can see that, but it still mainly depends on how one is brought up and what family structure surrounds him/her. Ghettos, drugs, thugs and guns came all before gangsta rap, not because of it, jus someth to think about, and actually when hip hop was created, it was all about leading youngsters away from the gang life, thus all the b-boy battles instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 03:35 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,718,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
I'm an advocate Hip Hop listener and an artist, and I say both. I can see how some of it can be misinterpreted or jus fairly interpreted as a negative msg. Having said that, even gangsta rap got some great points and u gotta read between the lines and not take erything literally. I feel like quality Hip Hop raises important issues and teaches life in a lot of ways, and u jus gotta take the good with the bad, but take the good out and apply it. Some say it encourages criminal behavior, and I can see that, but it still mainly depends on how one is brought up and what family structure surrounds him/her. Ghettos, drugs, thugs and guns came all before gangsta rap, not because of it, jus someth to think about, and actually when hip hop was created, it was all about leading youngsters away from the gang life, thus all the b-boy battles instead.
Some hip hop has an okay sound. Some sucks so bad it makes me puke.

As to violent hip hop, omg, the more violent the hip hop is, the more it is recorded by some of the most untalented individuals known to humans. The kings of zero talent, so to speak. I guess it's so awful and so talentless, that they need to throw some violence in there to attract attention. How else? It baffles the mind that kind of trash is even sold out there. Who buys that sh_t? People with an IQ of 60?

Old 04-21-2013, 03:40 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,625,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Some hip hop has an okay sound. Some sucks so bad it makes me puke.

As to violent hip hop, omg, the more violent the hip hop is, the more it is recorded by some of the most untalented individuals known to humans. The kings of zero talent, so to speak. I guess it's so awful and so talentless, that they need to throw some violence in there to attract attention. How else? It baffles the mind that kind of trash is even sold out there. Who buys that sh_t? People with an IQ of 60?
well, yea a lot of it sux, but a lot is good, i like hardcore rap, relieves stress

Old 04-21-2013, 03:45 PM

585 posts, read 963,343 times
I'm saying it's an art. It's a way to express yourself just like any other art. These days it isn't as good as it used to be when it was first starting out but, still, its an art. I never used to think of it as a sort of poetry but these days I'm looking at things a little differently. Any song can be poetry. It's just poetry with music and rhythm.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:52 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,122,003 times
Some good, some bad...like anything else.

But then, most music in every genre is garbage. Country? 95% garbage. Rock? 75% garbage. R&B? 99% garbage. Techno and all that electronica nonsense is damn near 100% noise.

I stick to the old reliable stuff that I always have...Miles, Diz, Coltrane, Bird, Clifford, Monk, Duke, Dolphy, Jamal, Blakey, etc....the actual innovators.

And of course, blues...without which no good music would've even been worth listening to.

But I see no reason to single out rap for scorn when everything else is just as pathetic and often worse.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:59 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,734,011 times
I think Rap sucks most of the time, but then I used to listen to barfy stuff when I was growing up. So, I say art. The rap guys who talk about their junk and how great they are all the time are particularly annoying, but then, how many rock guys were total hosers and druggies? A majority, I'd guess.

I suppose you could listen to the Osmonds, if they are more your thing.

Most art provokes mixed reviews. If you don't like it, turn the channel.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:59 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,809,288 times
Most of it is stale sounding. At least what makes it to radio. It's influence on the culture is in decline.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:08 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,122,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Most of it is stale sounding. At least what makes it to radio. It's influence on the culture is in decline.
I wish that were true, but it isn't. Not even close.

In fact, most POP music is hip hop influenced nowadays. The overwhelming majority of it.

The hottest song this year has been Macklemore's joint..Thrift Shop or something like that.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:11 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,718,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
well, yea a lot of it sux, but a lot is good, i like hardcore rap, relieves stress
Relieves STRESS? STRESS? You're kidding me, right? Yeah I can see it now - Psychology Today recommending that all stressed out people go out there and watch a few really violent flicks and listen to some really violent hip hop. Works like a charm to relax. Um... on another planet maybe!!!

Old 04-21-2013, 04:19 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,501,614 times
An art! I like hip hop! I have a hip hop playlist on my phone with a couple hundred songs. I'm not much into the newer hip hop, I like the West Coast hip hop from the late 80s and 90s. RIP, Tupac!

2pac Letter To The President - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies