Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 04:28 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
They can't just walk away and say it wasn't for them.
Kind of like you when it comes to logic and reason!

Quote:
I took a look around already and am seeing so many people in search of something---anything. They seem lost.
So, your "answer" to this is to indoctrinate them into ancient desert tribal myths and legends concerning an invisible supernatural being named Yahweh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 04:36 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Why would you need to tell your daughter about her ancestors, she will learn about them in her own time, even if she didn't even know they ever existed. Guess you believe in osmosis in things like that.
Her ancestors were real, dear.

Quote:
I took a look around already and am seeing so many people in search of something---anything. They seem lost.
Perhaps it's because they're starting to realize that the organized religion they've been raised with rings hollow, and they're looking for something that makes sense.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Not sure but it's the same way with everything. The ex members of anything are always the most critical of the thing they left. Guess they need it to support their views. They can't just walk away and say it wasn't for them.
Again, you're not making any sense. Who better to criticize an organization than its former members and dogma adherents?

Of COURSE i need that experience to support my views, or at least if i don't NEED it, it's damn sure helpful when coming up with a hypothesis as to why i don't believe in it anymore.

And i did just walk away and say that it wasn't for me, but why should my words end there? Because YOU say that i should? No...i will not simply walk away. This religious thing is corrosive, regressive, and dangerous, and i take my duty to speak out against it very serious even if it rubs people the wrong way.

Besides, why should you care? If your almighty God is who you say he is, why should my words matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Enlightenment and atheism are an oxymoron, imho.

Children don't need to be bullied and forced to believe in anything, but children do need guidance and education regarding different spiritual pathways and an understanding of religious doctrines, until they're old enough to choose their own truth. If you don't like the word "religion" then how about spirituality, something that reaches beyond ourselves.

Major problem these days is the fact that parents don't want to take responsibility for teaching their children well about life, politics, religion, their family history and ancestry, how this country was formed and why, danger of radicalism in any form, on and on.

Parents think nowadays that kids will magically become responsible adults. Parents are becoming more and more lazy in raising their kids. Plus, they don't even know their own spiritual pathway in life well enough to set an example for their kids by practicing their own moral and spiritual values.

Wake Up America!! Your kids need you.

best,
toodie
Total nonsense.

To say that atheism denotes a lack of enlightenment is stupid. Most religious people have never tried atheism or even questioned the indoctrination that their parents gave them. How is that being enlightened?

Atheists on the other hand have almost to a man come to such a belief AFTER being raised (a.k.a. indoctrinated) in at least a quasi-religious household where belief in God is at least paid lip service.

You can teach your children about religion, civics, history and ancestry without making them religious myrmidons.

How am i teaching my son anything by baptizing him into a faith that he had no power to choose for himself? That's just teaching him to accept things the way they are just because they've always been that way. Again, where is the enlightenment in that?

To suggest that religion is the only way humankind can reach or appreciate something beyond themselves is silly. They can look out at the night sky and see the cosmos and figure that out. They can gain an appreciation for books, art, science, music,...those things are so much more beautiful than telling me that if i covet my neighbors possessions, i'm going to hell.

You're simply dead ass wrong when you say that parents nowadays think children will magically become responsible adults. But even if they did believe that, what does religion have to do with personal responsibility? Obviously nothing, seeing as how this is a so called "Christian nation" and you think that parents aren't properly raising their kids. You're contradicting yourself on that point.

Last edited by desertdetroiter; 04-23-2013 at 01:09 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 06:32 PM

264 posts, read 351,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In China, the law forbids "forcing children under 18 years old to practice religion".
In reality, it strictly applies to Islam only, and children are not allowed in mosques in many parts of China.

I know it is impossible to pass such laws in a religious country like America.
However, it would be nice if parents can wait until their children get older.

Religion?
Why not teach them how to do unto others as they would have done unto them because that is what the summed up law of God is all about. We don't need traditions of men... God desires obedience to the things that He KNOWS will harm us in the long run. His Word is called His LOVE for us. It is a must that we accept His Son.
Then just give God all the credit for we did not create ourselves, nor our talents, nor our family, nor anything that we have in this world. It ALL belongs to the One who created all things by His Word. We just need to be thankful to Him for letting us use it and give Him back a small portion to show appreciation.
YES God's Word should be taught before the child leaves the womb if you want to do him and yourself and family a favor, for there is no bigger curse and nothing more ugly and heartbreaking than a bratty, lawless child that started out so innocent and beautiful as a blessing from God.. before we ruined them and tossed them out for the rest of the world to deal with after we spoiled them so rotten they are an embarrassment to us and themselves.
Written out of LOVE of the TRUTH : )
Rom 13:8-10
8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
KJV

Old 11-05-2013, 06:44 PM

878 posts, read 942,275 times
Quote:
Should we teach children religion?
Not in public school. There is no place in public school for the teaching of religious doctrine, not to mention doing so would be a violation of the First Amendment to the Constitution conservatives are always screaming about following to the letter.

Well, except for that pesky "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;" part.

If you're Muslim, you don't get to practice your religion, you get to go to Guantanamo, because we know ALL Muslims are terrorists, right? Just like all African-Americans are criminals.

Right?

The US is NOT a christian nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies