Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:09 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,682,701 times

Advertisements

Because it seels to market;pai and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 11:20 AM

14,496 posts, read 26,555,454 times
Because their ratings are tanking, and putting wolf blitzer in a new style of glass frames isnt going to make demographic 25-40 tune in.

david pakman on media and cnn ratings down - Google Search

Old 04-22-2013, 11:26 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,567,526 times
OP, I don't know where you're located (other than not the Philippines). If you are watching the international CNN channel, then, yes, you should be getting a broad mix of news from all countries. If you're watching the CNN that we get in the States, then, no, that's only US national news, with some international stories.

As for why any station shows more of one story than another? Ratings. There's a good discussion of that on the Current Events forum -- why wasn't the Texas fertilizer explosion given more national coverage, since more people were killed, and a lot of buildings were destroyed: A Tale of Two Tragedies.

And as long as we're questioning networks, when did Headline News (HLN) turn into Court TV? For weeks now, it's been nothing but Jodi Arias. Even during the height of the search for the Boston bombers, they had some ditzy "game" involving fake jurors and how would they vote. It was insane!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:27 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,477,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
CNN has had sagging viewership for years and is under huge pressure to deliver ratings and Boston is ratings.
Yes, I think your observation is accurate.

CNN will probably come out ahead in the ratings this past week, compared to it's cable competitors. I think it was a bad decision to hire Chris Cuomo and give him a feature role. I suspect that when brains were being passed-out, he was absent that day. That "Erin" whatever isn't much better, from what I saw. The rest of the CNN on-air staff seemed to me to be doing an excellent job.

I was in a hospital emergency room Friday night accompanying a friend and while he was having a CAT Scan I turned on the news in his cubicle. CBS. And I was struck ... impressed ... how simple but effective that network's coverage was. Scott Pelly was the anchor and he had only one or two "experts" with whom he had back-and-forth conversations. Oftentimes, less is more.

I saw coverage with Diane Sawyer during the week, and thought she and ABC performed poorly.

FOX? Not even in the 'race,' IMO.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:01 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,567,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I think it was a bad decision to hire Chris Cuomo and give him a feature role. I suspect that when brains were being passed-out, he was absent that day.
Not a bad decision for me!! I missed him when he left GMA, and was so happy to see him reappear on CNN.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:29 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,555,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
OP, I don't know where you're located (other than not the Philippines). If you are watching the international CNN channel, then, yes, you should be getting a broad mix of news from all countries. If you're watching the CNN that we get in the States, then, no, that's only US national news, with some international stories.

~~~~~

And as long as we're questioning networks, when did Headline News (HLN) turn into Court TV? For weeks now, it's been nothing but Jodi Arias. Even during the height of the search for the Boston bombers, they had some ditzy "game" involving fake jurors and how would they vote. It was insane!
~~~~~snip

HLN has been trash news since Dr Drew Pinsky, fake reality trash, and that ditz robin meade who can barely enunciate news. Anderson Cooper needs to get his job back at the CIA bcs his tv presence is nothing but a fawning celebrity kiss ass.

It is all dumbed down. Most people know this.

CNN is now following suit. Trash for cash.
Journalism in the US has been dead for a long time now.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:42 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,830,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I had to turn off the TV, because it was just too much focus on the Boston incident.
yes, and I still have to turn it off or change channels today.

I'm left with my Chinese news channel now - that is way dull! lol

Old 04-22-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Why? Because it made the decision to do so. You're not forced to watch that coverage ... for 8 days. Actually, I don't think it was 8 days. Whatever. Just change the channel if you don't like what you see.
What - that is your defense?

pretty lame if you ask me.

If you don't like it then don't watch it - perhaps you ought to work in CNN marketing or something

Old 04-22-2013, 08:46 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,126,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
For the last 8 days CNN 'international news' has given literally 24/7 coverage of this event, with the literal exclusion of any other news story.

Is this right and how does that equate to the description of 'international news channel'?
its right for them because its also a distraction as an obsession - a villain distraction away from their sloppy newsworthy style...trying to herd the herd into safety as though a protector...thats all they have left to report . And, I dislike all the newscasts. All u need to do is read most headlines and you know exactly how they are going to present it save a very very very few well organized and non emotional guys.....first for themselves, the facts and the people are secondary...don't kid yourself. Nothin but a buis grab and go...worse then wallmart. How the heck and what right does an entity have to sell the news enclosed as a garbage >marketing tool, that only a tool would get suckered into for the chief objective and sole concern-profit...at the energy of the publics expense > habit and following. All caught red handed in attempts at theft. Energy theft is destroying society...be warned and take whatever cover is deemed necessary.

Last edited by stargazzer; 04-22-2013 at 09:08 PM..

Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 PM

And how about that Richard Quest guy - is he a joke or what, or does he just speak in that way naturally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies