Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:47 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
And you are wrong. Even w/o production jobs, there are high-paying US based SCM jobs directly tied to importing..globally..and managing that process. There are US based marketing jobs, accounting jobs, distribution center jobs, and finally US retail jobs.
What about the manufacturing part?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Maybe the Chinese will rebuild Flint, Michigan.

You know, goodwill and stuff.
Then problem isn't Flint (or Detroit) - It's the economically-ignorant people therein, and the politicians who pander to them.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
They should manufacture where it makes the most economic sense for their corporation. It does no one any good to base that decision on anything subjective, as that would simply bring down the entire company eventually.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
That would involve a realistic (and unpleasant, for the UAW) evaluation of labor costs -- ain't gonna happen!

Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
That would involve a realistic (and unpleasant, for the UAW) evaluation of labor costs -- ain't gonna happen!
Quote:
They should manufacture where it makes the most economic sense for their corporation. It does no one any good to base that decision on anything subjective, as that would simply bring down the entire company eventually
In the end, what does this do for the worker who couldn't get a retail job or a white collar job?

Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
In the end, what does this do for the worker who couldn't get a retail job or a white collar job?
I sincerely wish I had an answer; I believe that a part of the problem is that the old-line unionized manufacturing environment was particularly attractive to those (and I admit being one of them) who feel uncomfortable in the phony self-effacement that characterizes both retail and corporate / management jobs. Things are tougher all over for introverts these days.

Perhaps our theoretical displaced worker should learn to drive a truck, or pick orders in a warehouse.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-22-2013 at 10:27 PM..

Old 04-22-2013, 10:19 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Well the unions who were handed 25% ownership in GM after this bailout mess won't have to worry about those damn union folks over in China going on strike that's for sure!!

Old 04-22-2013, 10:25 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
The purpose of a corp is to deliver a product or service to produce a profit. Employment possibilities are a side affect, not the goal, nor should it be the goal.

The workers purpose is to do the same..seek employment where the pay exceeds their cost, thus work funds their lifestyle decisions (home,car,food, vacations, etc).

Connecting their thought processes is your first mistake. A win-win is created when workers get hired, but neither side is truthfully fulfilling their side for the benefit of the other. Their mutual interests intersected-that is good, but it was not like they had the same goal.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:01 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,812,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
CEO pay has nothing to do with the cost of goods or the location of production facilities.

CEO pay is a non issue. Try something else.
It has everything to do with it.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:12 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,812,567 times
Quote:
Actually, I'm far from independently wealthy. I'm an unemployed college graduate, who is sick and tired of being turned down for so many jobs. I've also watched my father get laid off a few times, despite having a college degree. I tend to be sympathetic towards the worker because I'm currently struggling with unemployed. I've watched my father get laid off.
It isn't just the automobile companies that got bailouts. Banks got them too.
Well, here is my question. Do you have an evidence to refute the statistics on that chart?
Green, America has become the land of opportunity... for someone else. The CEOs don't mind raping the worker in order to grab more million for themselves - it's called greed, and it's been with us since the first breath of man. No need to get philosophical, it's time to become practical. How do other first world countries control their upper management pay? We need to learn it.

There are good jobs out there, but you need a college degree, in the right area. Opportunities for college grads are there, but just any degree doesn't cut it anymore. Computing jobs are there, but make sure it's in the right language, and be assured that you will be working with an offshore and onshore team. Decent paying jobs for high school grads have been severely eroded by the offshoring of manufacturing. The trillions spent in the last few years have just kept this economy running in place, and now that the money is being cut back, well look around - it's getting worse.

But you ain't seen nothing yet. When the US dollar loses it's world reserve currency status, and it will, look out below.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies