Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 03:10 PM

977 posts, read 763,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Actually, it's more in the "blowing off the question as trollish flame bait" category.
I didn't realize asking for civil debate was 'troll bait'. Another lefty who makes my points.

Debate seems to be hard for the left if they're not allowed to snarl and attack the right.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:11 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
These arguments are made all the time. You're just not looking in the right places.

Still can't get an answer on why a living fetus with it's own unique DNA is claimed by liberals to be part of the mother's body or why same-sex marriage can't be called anything except marriage.

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
But how does Obamacare lessen the cost? Costs are not controlled under Obamacare. And all the insurance companies will do is drive up the premiums. They have no choice. If you compel people to buy a Cadillac insurance policy then you pay for the Cadillac.
I'm not really arguing for Obamacare. I'm arguing for single payer universal.

3,038 posts, read 2,513,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Here's a thing that's been floating around Facebook, and quite nicely tears down a number of popular strawmen without attacking anyone:

I don't want free healthcare; I want affordable healthcare.
Adding government bureaucrats to the process will not not make it more affordable. More people involved in the process can only make it more expensive.

I don't want money for nothing; I want the opportunity for a good job.
There is always work to do and there is always somone willing to pay you to do it. Government eliminates those opportunities by making employment more expensive than necessary.

I don't expect every election to bring the result I want; I just want my vote to count.
Then vote. No one is stopping you.

I don't want business to be unprofitable; I want them out of the regulatory and political processes.
You want them to be regulated but you want to suppress their free speech rights? If you want them out of the regulatory & political process then stop politcians from regulating them. Owning a business does not mean one gives up any rights.

I don't want the wealthiest Americans to pay for everything; I want them to pay their fair share.
"Fair share" is not an economic term and cannot be defined. My idea of "fair share" is everyone pays the same percentage of taxes. Let's say 1% of income no matter how much you make. Seems "fair" to me.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:12 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Still can't get an answer on why a living fetus with it's own unique DNA is claimed by liberals to be part of the mother's body or why same-sex marriage can't be called anything except marriage.
1. We listen to science, not religion.

2. Because we believe in equality under the constitution, not half-assed attempts and thrown bones.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:13 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Well, whatever system the US has (free market or not) clearly isn't working for millions of people. The problem with using the free market for health care is that it's a whole different thing from buying a stereo or a car. If you can't afford the Mercedes, then buy the Civic works perfectly in the free market car buying world. The following does not work: "you need a quadruple bypass, but since the cough drops are within your budget, I'm prescribing you the extra strength Luden's". My point is that it's not a commodity. People use different sets of parameters and have no expertise.
That doesn't happen in free-market systems.

But I do agree our current system aint working.

Personally, I think a free-market system with very littke govt interference would be the best.

A universal system, if done correctly, would be the second best option.

I hope I'm wrong but I think Obamacare is going to make things worse.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Only because you perceived it as one.
Yes. Perception is subjective.
That alleged FB post was offered by another who lacked the intestinal fortitude to say it him/herself. It made no points. It was a gripe at best. I responded to it point-by-point............and you ignored it. It says much about your focus here. I'll put you down as another 'dodger'.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
1. The college liberal: No real life experience, and beliefs based purely on what they seem to think is considered intellectual. Role models: Celebrities and Professors.

2. The Union Member: Lots of life experience, but have been convinced it is "us vs them" when it comes to their jobs. As such, they support whoever their union supports even when it is against their own good. Great examples of this is what happened with the auto workers union.

3. Some minority groups: Why do virtually all african americans vote democrat? It isn't in their best interest. What holds the black community down more than anything else is a poor education, which is being perpetuated by the teachers union (which controls the democratic party). It is a direct conflict with what they need, but they continue to vote the way they always have. It's just stupid.
There is like a 30 page thread started by TMYK talking about liberals telling other people that they dont know what is best for themselves and you commented on that thread saying liberals shouldnt do that and yet, here you are, doing the exact same thing.

but since you brought it up, lets talk about school choice( and vouchers) they do not pay for transportation. neither of them pay for transportation.

A child living in a sprawling school district has to find a way to school every day if he/she chooses school choice, that means biking or finding a ride to travel 100+ miles a day in some cases(i am including back and forth). Do you think that is possible on a 160 day school calender ? Who is going to pay for that in rural cash scrapped counties ?

Why is it that conservatives seem to think that it is impossible to fix school and instead choose to believe the only answer is to close them down or create voucher/school choice systems where students left behind are worse off than before ?

If Unions where the only problem then Red state schools wouldnt be failing.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
1. We listen to science, not religion.

2. Because we believe in equality under the constitution, not half-assed attempts and thrown bones.
The global warming ruse was 'science'.

The BOR gives you equality.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:15 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
Of course it is an attack.

Obamacare is not affordable.
You create your own opportunity.
Your vote counts if you go and vote. Do not believe otherwise unless you have proof instead of suspicions.
Business is part of the regulatory process because it is their business being regulated. They should have a voice.
The top 10% pay 70% of all taxes. Fair is subjective. 70% is quite a large amount.

Now what do you think?
Neither is the current "system." And Romneycare works fine in Massachusetts, where 98% of the population is covered.
Yes, but some people are born with a head start.
Yes, and we must be vigilant against becoming a "one dollar, one vote" system.
But they should not have the ONLY voice.
The top 10% also accounts for 77% of net worth and 88% of investment assets. If anything, they are undertaxed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies